Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wii compatibility issues in US

Wii compatibility issues in US

Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice
Default Wii compatibility issues in US

Hi

I've been reading all about the Wii compatability issues beteen the UK and the US, which mostly seem to relate to PAL vs. NTSC formats.

We just moved to the US, bringin our UK Wii with us. When we plugged it into a US TV, the picture appears but rapidly flickers and scrolls down hte screen and loops like that. It's not playable, and only just recognisable. We also have a PS2 with had other issies. We bought a PAL --> NTSC converter and that solved the PS2 issues, but now that two has the image scrolling and flickering.

It's almost like the TV isn't tuned in properly or something. But the TV is brand new, and it's not a tuning issue. ANy ideas. Help pleaseeee!!! It's driving my husband (and me) nuts. :curse:

Thanks
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wii compatibility issues in US

Hi,
The majority of new USA tv's will recognise a PAL signal from a DVD player or game system, they won't pick up a PAL signal say if you took the TV back to Europe.
Have you tryed using a Component (the one with a red/green/blue plug on the end) cable this is pretty much a RGB signal which will be picked up by anything. I have heard of many situations where swapping out a SVHS or Composite (the one with a yellow plug) cable has cured this problem.

Also have a quick check through the other inputs on the TV, some of the newer ones are switched, so try each one.

Good luck!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:41 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy multi region TV's ....its a little expensive as far as a solution ...but its one of them ..
I've bought stuff from these guys and they are very reasonable

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

clarky2o2o is an unknown quantity at this point

unfortunatly the only sure fire way for you to get your gamecube/wii games to run is to buy a US console and datel freeloader (or action replay).

buying a TV would also help as suggested but, i dont know what tv's are compatible.

I currently have 30(ish) UK gamecube games that run fine thhrough a us gamecube with the 1st method.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Thanks for your suggestions.

We have two brand new TVs (quite good ones too) and also a PAL to NTSC converter. I don't think that's the problem any more. But I'm baffled as to what is.

Tried composite cables, and the standard 3-plug ones too. None of these work. We used SCART in the UK, but that seems unheard of here.

Basically, it seems the picture is being generated fine, but just not 'stable' on the TV. We're probably doing something very simple and daft.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the UK games are meant to be played at PAL/50hz. Some of the newer games allow you to select 60hz. (Find one of these switchable games if you can). The PAL to NTSC conversion has worked, but the games are probably still at 50hz, on a 60hz TV. This will cause flicker and instability.

Unless the converter states it will convert a PAL/50hz signal into an NTSC/60hz signal, that's the issue I think. You probably have an NTSC/50hz signal going into the TV and it cannot support it.

You need a proper multisystem TV to fix this or buy a US wii like another posted suggested.

http://www.world-import.com/index.html

HTH
Darren

Last edited by YankeeDaz; Nov 17th 2007 at 5:33 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you ought to be able to get to the system menu and just change the output on the wii...?

Either way, google should probably through up a fair bit.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 12:07 am
Just Joined

watever1010 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, were u able to sort the problem out because i just moved to canada a few weeks ago n am having the same problems with my tv n wii.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

just to add another thought - the games are region encoded so if you buy US games they wont play.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:55 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
Most of the UK games are meant to be played at PAL/50hz. Some of the newer games allow you to select 60hz. (Find one of these switchable games if you can). The PAL to NTSC conversion has worked, but the games are probably still at 50hz, on a 60hz TV. This will cause flicker and instability.

Unless the converter states it will convert a PAL/50hz signal into an NTSC/60hz signal, that's the issue I think. You probably have an NTSC/50hz signal going into the TV and it cannot support it.

You need a proper multisystem TV to fix this or buy a US wii like another posted suggested.

http://www.world-import.com/index.html

HTH
Darren
I agree - we bought the converter for our PS2 not realising it was the 50/60htz that was the problem so the converter didnt work.

We bought a transformer and just run the PS2 on the UK tv now
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Sector001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that this has something to do with the TV. In the UK, TV's are now generally sold with both PAL and NTSC capability but in the US, they are made with NTSC only. Converters will work but they are an Addon and these often have problems with compatability.

Yiou may well have had better luck bringing your uk TV and getting a Voltage adapter.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Sector001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not wanting to hijack the conversation but I am in the US at present and will be returning to the UK shortly. I have been looking at the Wii Motion Plus Remote and it is cheaper here. The box says it is region 1 but does anyone know whether this will work with or clash with the UK Wii remotes i have.

Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

watever1010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sector001
Not wanting to hijack the conversation but I am in the US at present and will be returning to the UK shortly. I have been looking at the Wii Motion Plus Remote and it is cheaper here. The box says it is region 1 but does anyone know whether this will work with or clash with the UK Wii remotes i have.

Thanks
i dont think it will be a problem because i have a british wii that i use in canada with 2 british remotes and sometimes we have friends over that bring thier canadian remotes with them for 4 player games and we have had no problems using 2 different remotes on the wii at the same time.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NannyAnn, We first bought a 'cheap' converter off of ebay to use with our PS2 and it did not work - picture rolling and flickering - Hubby finally decided it was the frequency as other posters have described. We eventually bought an expensive converter that did the trick. If you want to go down this road see my previous post in http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626649 for the make and model.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

We bought a PhilipsLCD TV ( model 47PFL5422D), didn't realise it was a multi region TV, even the manual doesn't say it can decode PAL signals.

Anway, it works with our UK PAL VHS video recorder, PAL Camcorder and UK playstation, without any converters or anything :-)