Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Wikiposts

Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hmm, I'm now going with more proficiency in drawing maps and charts than trade and shipping.............
That would be true enough, the funny part of our job is that dispite providing the means for navigation we don't actually have all that much to do with 'the real world' as it were. If a survey indicates a least depth, that's what goes on the chart. I would very much like to spend some time actually navigating on board a vessel.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 14th 2012 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:14 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Lol - time flies!! I was involved with a newbuild project for a small fleet of tankers that we subsequently used to run a lighter/transit/lighter operation thru the canal in my early days - just worked out that was 24 years ago
Tis true! I had great plans of designing amazing yachts and powerboats! These days, the closest I get is playing with model boats (and hopefully in the near future building a few of my own designs). Have been in Offshore/Subsea since graduation.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:13 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I was involved with a few different newbuild projects during my working days, mainly tankers, but I was always that person that the technical guys didn't want on the committee - the commercial guy

Actually it was interesting seeing the change over the years - in the 80's there was still a massive hangover of naval archs and technical supers who had come up thru the traditional oil company - ships designed for internal use, with whatever whistles, bells and fun stuff they deemed necessary, and bollox to anything that remotely approached economics or market assessment. As the "old guard" got farmed out to retirement, the new guys coming in in the 90's were considerably easier to deal with and more focussed in the right areas (to my totally unbiased viewpoint) - they didn't have the old oil co mentality, and approached newbuilds much more as an independent owner would. Net result was we ended up with tonnage much more fit for purpose. It was truly fun working on those teams - whereas the early ones were just constant losing battles!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:15 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Tis true! I had great plans of designing amazing yachts and powerboats! These days, the closest I get is playing with model boats (and hopefully in the near future building a few of my own designs). Have been in Offshore/Subsea since graduation.
I never had any idea about yacht design, but always wanted to sail round the world. Used to do quite a bit of sailing when I lived in the UK, a little less so when we moved to Asia, and since been in the US/aquiring a young family its totally disappeared. Eldest son is 11 now, and doing small boat sailing at camp over the summer, so hoping this may kindle some interest that lets me get back into it. RTW trip is still a very distant and remote possibility though
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Grrr, 25th June now!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:09 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Grrr, 25th June now!
Sorry to hear that Geoff
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:13 am
Rootbeeraholic

I never had any idea about yacht design, but always wanted to sail round the world. Used to do quite a bit of sailing when I lived in the UK, a little less so when we moved to Asia, and since been in the US/aquiring a young family its totally disappeared. Eldest son is 11 now, and doing small boat sailing at camp over the summer, so hoping this may kindle some interest that lets me get back into it. RTW trip is still a very distant and remote possibility though
My wife loves cruises so I'm hoping that she'll be open to chartering a boat too. Not round the world but maybe some prolonged island hoping. Its not practical for us right now though with a 9 month old.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:24 am

My wife loves cruises so I'm hoping that she'll be open to chartering a boat too. Not round the world but maybe some prolonged island hoping. Its not practical for us right now though with a 9 month old.
My wife loves cruising too, but hers involve a couple of thousand passengers and 24 hour buffets............
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Grrr, 25th June now!
Thats a bummer. If that websites accurate, looks like she's still anchored waiting canal transit.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:27 am
Rootbeeraholic

My wife loves cruising too, but hers involve a couple of thousand passengers and 24 hour buffets............
Ditto
Me, I like to get away from it all. Though I do love good food.
Sad I never got to eat at El Bulli though I'm sure there are plenty of places as good scattered around.

Last edited by Bink; Jun 16th 2012 at 2:30 am.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:33 am

Ditto
Sad I never got to eat at El Bulli though I'm sure there are plenty of places as good scattered around.
??
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:37 am
Rootbeeraholic

??
Don't know what it is or didn't know it had closed?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:35 pm

Don't know what it is or didn't know it had closed?
Dont know what it is!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:41 pm

Geoff M - I don't know how accurate that marinetraffic website is, but it still has her at anchor on the Caribbean side of the canal. It also shows her draft has reduced to 11.2m, which if correct, indicates she's probably doing some lightering work there. Or randomly jettisoning containers over the side - do you feel lucky?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:12 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Dont know what it is!
It was a restaurant in Spain with 3 Michellin stars that was voted #1 in the world a record 5 times. I always wanted to go there but never was able to get across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.