Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Any ideas how long it would take a container ship to get between the above ports? My stuff is on the Stuttgart Express, due Long Beach June 14th, which is only ~48 hours from now which seems a little optimistic now. I'm assuming it'll go via the Panama Canal and would probably make another stop or two somewhere.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time from Savannah, GA to Los Angeles, CA - by boat

Oh - just noticed the particular website I was using was last updated 2d22h ago! It's reported elsewhere about a third of the way from Jamaica to Panama at noon today, whatever time zone that is - maybe ET/CT.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=DGBE

Last edited by GeoffM; Jun 12th 2012 at 7:01 pm. Reason: Added link for myself
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Those times are UTC which to all intents and purposes is GMT.

Once she clears the canal, at her speed it will be about 6 days to Los Angeles, depending on whether she has any other scheduled stops.

That website gives her dimensions - if that is her actual draft they state, rather than her design draft, then she is probably too deep to transit the canal, so will need to offload some cargo beforehand. I suspect it is her design draft though...

Have you called your moving company or their frieght forwarder? If they can't help, you could try calling Hapag Lloyds LA office and see if they can update you on her ETA.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:36 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ps - if you have a container number on your shipping docs, you should be able to track it online.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Once she clears the canal, at her speed it will be about 6 days to Los Angeles, depending on whether she has any other scheduled stops.
Damn, that's probably going to be a week later than estimated!

That website gives her dimensions - if that is her actual draft they state, rather than her design draft, then she is probably too deep to transit the canal, so will need to offload some cargo beforehand. I suspect it is her design draft though...
It did say on one website that the next scheduled stop was the Port of Panama - though whether that's to actually offload, I don't know!

Have you called your moving company or their frieght forwarder? If they can't help, you could try calling Hapag Lloyds LA office and see if they can update you on her ETA.
Not yet. As they gave me the ship name, that was enough to track. No container number but as I say, the ship is enough. Calling them won't make it any faster or slower so I'm just content with tracking it. Supposedly about a week after it clears customs for actual delivery to the door. Customs seems to be the biggest wildcard now.

Thanks.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Stuttgart Express is a PanaMax. She'll fit in there fine. The whole canal has recently been redredged.

The ship is 11.8m draft, panaMax is 12.08 from memory
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
Stuttgart Express is a PanaMax. She'll fit in there fine. The whole canal has recently been redredged.

The ship is 11.8m draft, panaMax is 12.08 from memory
Yeah, but Panamax generally refers to the LOA/Beam to clear the locks, and a lot of panamax ships can load deeper than the max transit draft for the canal. Draft is adjustable and the navigable depth varies within the canal depending on weather conditions. The website GeoffM referenced had her draft at 13.5m which (as I said) sounded deep to me....not much chance of getting thru if she is actually at that draft without lightering/lightening. Like I said though, I suspect that is her design draft, rather than her loaded draft. If the next scheduled port is Panama, then that is already thru the canal, so no worries.

This website www.marinetraffic.com has her at anchor off Colon now, presumably waiting transit. It gives her draft as 11.8 which is a lot more likely to be her actual current loaded draft
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Eta now 22nd June and I have the container number now.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

draft is adjustable and the navigable depth varies within the canal depending on weather conditions.
I work for, and was trained in cartography by, the foremost nautical charting authority in the world- im well aware of that

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 14th 2012 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:30 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I work for, and was trained in cartography by, the foremost charting authority in the world- im well aware of that
I had to design a PanaMax (bulk/ore carrier in my case though) for my second year design project!
Quite scary to think that was 11 years ago now...
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:34 pm
Often not so civil...

Interesting- of course Panamax these days means nothing, carriers the size of the Emma Maersk are making the canal useless.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Bink
I had to design a PanaMax (bulk/ore carrier in my case though) for my second year design project!
Quite scary to think that was 11 years ago now...
Lol - time flies!! I was involved with a newbuild project for a small fleet of tankers that we subsequently used to run a lighter/transit/lighter operation thru the canal in my early days - just worked out that was 24 years ago
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:59 am

I work for, and was trained in cartography by, the foremost nautical charting authority in the world- im well aware of that
Your first post implied more proficiency in google than shipping.....

If I was mistaken in that, sorry.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 5:01 am

Interesting- of course Panamax these days means nothing, carriers the size of the Emma Maersk are making the canal useless.
Hmm, I'm now going with more proficiency in drawing maps and charts than trade and shipping.............
Old Jun 15th 2012, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Eta now 22nd June and I have the container number now.
Looks good.
Good luck with customs...!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.