Tick Season

Old May 3rd 2004, 1:33 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tick Season

Never had a dog before, not in this country anyway, and now tick season is upon us....what do you recommend to deal with these critters....I keep finding them all over my little cocker spaniel....and she's on Frontline too!

Next it will be Cicadas...I hear that for dogs cicada corpses are like chicken nuggets to a child! Except they give them severe constipation!

Great, how I love the muggy, buggy DC metro area!

Last edited by PrincessofWales; May 3rd 2004 at 1:35 pm.
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:02 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I use frontline, live in the woods but have so far been ok with ticks.

I have to get the horse vaccinated against West Nile today. Not sure if it effects small animals but it's worth looking into.
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tick Season

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
Never had a dog before, not in this country anyway, and now tick season is upon us....what do you recommend to deal with these critters....I keep finding them all over my little cocker spaniel....and she's on Frontline too!

Next it will be Cicadas...I hear that for dogs cicada corpses are like chicken nuggets to a child! Except they give them severe constipation!

Great, how I love the muggy, buggy DC metro area!
Isn't there some sort of spray-on thing to discourage ticks from attaching to the dog? I mean, there is for people........
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:58 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

You can get your garden sprayed to help protect against ticks.
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:47 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

is that garden spray the basic pesticide stuff that Trugreen applies...we get that soon!
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:01 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

There is an organic one that can be applied that uses a concentration of garlic and lemon juice. Stinks the air for a couple of hours but is very safe for the environment.
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ben
There is an organic one that can be applied that uses a concentration of garlic and lemon juice. Stinks the air for a couple of hours but is very safe for the environment.
Is that for the people, plants or fish filets?
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Very funny For the garden
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

And the recipe is ?
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:48 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
And the recipe is ?
A green salad, garnished with shrivelled ticks. Move over, Emeril.
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:54 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
And the recipe is ?
Do you really expect me to know everything!

Actually, I think it is 95% garlic to 5% lemon juice. But we had someone come and spray the garden for us every 6 weeks. They also did a winter closing and opening to make sure all the ticks and mosquitoes didn't nest/hibernate on our property. the company is only local to LI though so no good for the rest of the USA. Maybe a search on google will bring up a local company/supplier.

Lion - I'm sure ticks are a good protein source
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:57 pm

Originally posted by Ben

Lion - I'm sure ticks are a good protein source
You bet. South of the border they (um, sorry, not ticks, other insects) are part of the national diet, due to local people using them for protein before the Spanish arrived with cows and sheep and whatnot. Still, I'd rather have a packet of salt n vinegar crisps when I want something crunchy.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben
Do you really expect me to know everything!

Actually, I think it is 95% garlic to 5% lemon juice. But we had someone come and spray the garden for us every 6 weeks. They also did a winter closing and opening to make sure all the ticks and mosquitoes didn't nest/hibernate on our property. the company is only local to LI though so no good for the rest of the USA. Maybe a search on google will bring up a local company/supplier.
As we have already had a few ticks despite frontline too I am going to look into this. You say it works well except the smell!!!
does the smell come back when it rains?
Suzie
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:54 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Only if it rains the same day that it is applied.

I think it does work well but like a lot of things it isn't 100%. If I was in your situation where your dog was picking up ticks all the time, I would definitely give it a try at least. My daughter got lymes disease nearly 2 years ago and it was horrible having to watch her be so ill.

Another option is probably to try and feed your dog garlic. You would have to feed him quite a lot but apparently by ingesting garlic, the smell comes through the pores which is supposed to repel mosquitoes and other insects like ticks. Could be worth a try too.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I use Frontline Plus and it works fine. Works on the dog too.