Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For those in the border states..

For those in the border states..

Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those in the border states..

Originally Posted by Manc
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times.

www.uscis.gov

Don't see why your resident status can't be checked through the drivers licence. Seems silly to carry the card around in case it's lost or stolen.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:59 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

This poses an interesting question. I was granted AOS and told my green card was on its way to me. That was two months ago. I filed an i-90 stating I hadn't received my GC 2 weeks ago (maybe a little premature, but I was told if I hadn't received the GC in 30 days to contact USELESS mis-information line, sorry I mean USCIS information line - the very unhelpul script I was read told me to file i-90).
Should I make a INFO-PASS appointment and get my PP stamped with proof of PR until my GC arrives? If I have my PP stamped do I actually need the GC, or is a passport stamp enough? Maybe I should post this in US VISA's . . .

Originally Posted by Rete
Backing you up on that one. If you are here and don't have a green card and only a visa and/or I-94 in the PP, then you have to carry it with you at all times. If you have the green card you have to carry that in its place and stead.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:03 pm

Your drivers license is also associated with your concealed carry permit, at least here in Texas. Completely off topic and posted mainly for Ray's input on whether this is the case in FL?

A colleague was shocked, and annoyed to find his concealed carry permit held his drivers license number. I mean why have to show your concealed carry permit at a traffic stop when the cop knows you hold a permit when he runs your drivers license. He said failure to show it was a big deal.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't see why your resident status can't be checked through the drivers license. Seems silly to carry the card around in case it's lost or stolen.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Your drivers license is also associated with your concealed carry permit, at least here in Texas. Completely off topic and posted mainly for Ray's input on whether this is the case in FL?

A colleague was shocked, and annoyed to find his concealed carry permit held his drivers license number. I mean why have to show your concealed carry permit at a traffic stop when the cop knows you hold a permit when he runs your drivers license. He said failure to show it was a big deal.
Yup you ALWAYS produce your carry permit first when stopped ...
If you get asked to step out of the car and they see the gun ...
somebody might over react..
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This poses an interesting question. I was granted AOS and told my green card was on its way to me. That was two months ago. I filed an i-90 stating I hadn't received my GC 2 weeks ago (maybe a little premature, but I was told if I hadn't received the GC in 30 days to contact USELESS mis-information line, sorry I mean USCIS information line - the very unhelpul script I was read told me to file i-90).
Should I make a INFO-PASS appointment and get my PP stamped with proof of PR until my GC arrives? If I have my PP stamped do I actually need the GC, or is a passport stamp enough? Maybe I should post this in US VISA's . . .
My husband's GC went astray in the mail. No wonder...the envelope it was in had USCIS written all over it...it was obvious what was inside as you could feel the plastic card.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You make an appointment for the stamp, the stamp is as good as having the card.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't see why your resident status can't be checked through the drivers licence. Seems silly to carry the card around in case it's lost or stolen.
I have a feeling this may be the case; my AZ driving licence expires on the same day as my I-94.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

essexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of lightessexgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Although they say you need to have your passport with you at all times... surely there is some kind of 24 hour grace where you can present it to the Police station?
I have lived in France and Spain and there it is also law to carry around your identification card (ie. passport for Brits). I got stopped once in France and reprimanded but I was at the beach.. I wasn't going to leave my passport there. I know the USA is stricter but carrying your passport around seems to e good in theory and near impossible in practice.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexgirl
Although they say you need to have your passport with you at all times... surely there is some kind of 24 hour grace where you can present it to the Police station?
There isn't a grace period, if you don't have your drivers license and insurance when driving, your in trouble.

The thing is, only ICE can ask about your immigration status, so if they police did ask, you could tell them to bug off, even though it is the law to carry your passport/GC.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexgirl
I have lived in France and Spain and there it is also law to carry around your identification card (ie. passport for Brits). I got stopped once in France and reprimanded but I was at the beach.. I wasn't going to leave my passport there. I know the USA is stricter but carrying your passport around seems to e good in theory and near impossible in practice.
I used to live in France and there everyone, including the French, must carry ID since the police can demand it in the street. I didn't carry my passport, in case I lost it. One time I was on a fairly empty train, reading a copy of The Times (this was in the days when it was still a broadsheet). Also on the train were two young guys of north African descent (who were in all probability born in France). On get two policemen, and start demanding papers and searching the two guys. Shit, I thought, looking as English as English can be with The Times, and no passport. When they'd finished hassling those guys they walked up to me, and continued straight past.

Of course, no racial profiling goes on....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:28 pm

Joy, another trip to San Antonio to sit in a waiting room.
Thanks Bob, I'll make an appointment.

Originally Posted by Bob
You make an appointment for the stamp, the stamp is as good as having the card.