British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   For those in the border states.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/those-border-states-408320/)

gsnichol Nov 15th 2006 8:44 pm

For those in the border states..

...and by border states I refer, of course, to the heavily defended southern one, not the northern one with 1 USBP officer per 1000 miles...

On Monday night I was driving along I-8 from San Diego back home when I was stopped at a checkpoint east of Yuma. Every other time I have been waved through, but this time my car was given a look over and I was asked for my passport. Maybe it was because it was night and the guy was bored (my Focus is so small I couldn't hide a packet of sweets, let alone a Mexican) but I realised that I only had my passport with me in case I decided to visit Tijuana. Usually it is safely locked away at home.

Which brings me to ask: are resident visa aliens (not GC holders) required to carry their passport and I-94 at all times? I never do in case I lose it, but with so many checkpoints around here I am wondering what would happen if I was stopped and didn't have it. I could do my Daphne Moon 'sure' when asked if I'm a US citizen..

Does anyone else living down here cart their passport around 24/7?

Elvira Nov 15th 2006 9:00 pm

Re: For those in the border states..

Originally Posted by gsnichol
............ am wondering what would happen if I was stopped and didn't have it. I could do my Daphne Moon 'sure' when asked if I'm a US citizen..

FFS whatever you do, NEVER ever claim to be a USC!!! :scared:

(I hope you were joking, but you never know who reads these posts...)

gsnichol Nov 15th 2006 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
FFS whatever you do, NEVER ever claim to be a USC!!! :scared:

(I hope you were joking, but you never know who reads these posts...)

lol, as with my post on sarcasm on another thread... I think it's a bit lost on an internet forum!

My American accent sounds like I'm some sort of Arkansas/Texas hybrid and not too convincing...

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 9:56 pm

lol, as with my post on sarcasm on another thread... I think it's a bit lost on an internet forum!

My American accent sounds like I'm some sort of Arkansas/Texas hybrid and not too convincing...

When we had visas we never carried our PP's with us. Saying that we don't carry our GC's either. :o Although I if I lived in an area where I was likely to be stopped I would carry it.

Bob Nov 15th 2006 10:15 pm

Which brings me to ask: are resident visa aliens (not GC holders) required to carry their passport and I-94 at all times? I never do in case I lose it, but with so many checkpoints around here I am wondering what would happen if I was stopped and didn't have it. I could do my Daphne Moon 'sure' when asked if I'm a US citizen..

Does anyone else living down here cart their passport around 24/7?

Your meant to carry your passport at all times....if you live in a border town, you probably should, pain in the arse though.

Ray Nov 15th 2006 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we had visas we never carried our PP's with us. Saying that we don't carry our GC's either. :o Although I if I lived in an area where I was likely to be stopped I would carry it.

6 thinks you always carry in Florida

Driving licence
Carry Permit
Glock 9mm
Cigarettes
Lighter
$20 cash

Irn-bru Nov 15th 2006 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

$20 cash

cause you never know when you need a pro? ;)

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

Driving licence
Carry Permit
Glock 9mm
Cigarettes
Lighter
$20 cash

You really should give the fags up...but you know that already.

gardnma Nov 15th 2006 10:45 pm

You really should give the fags up...but you know that already.

But Joisey, they're so cheap here. That and you can allways sue the tobacco company when you are on oxygen.

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma
But Joisey, they're so cheap here. That and you can allways sue the tobacco company when you are on oxygen.

Don't tell me you're addicted too.

gardnma Nov 15th 2006 11:14 pm

Don't tell me you're addicted too.

Yes, in fact. I'm going out for some right now.
Menthols with added formaldehyde. :eek:

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma
Yes, in fact. I'm going out for some right now.
Menthols with added formaldehyde. :eek:

Why don't you just roll a dollar bill up and smoke that? :D

gardnma Nov 15th 2006 11:19 pm

Why don't you just roll a dollar bill up and smoke that? :D

Ugh, what a disgusting habit. I hope you don't do that around other people. Besides, have you ever heard what the average dollar bill has on it (traces all over it).?

Back soon - off for fags.

Rete Nov 15th 2006 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Your meant to carry your passport at all times....if you live in a border town, you probably should, pain in the arse though.

Backing you up on that one. If you are here and don't have a green card and only a visa and/or I-94 in the PP, then you have to carry it with you at all times. If you have the green card you have to carry that in its place and stead.

Manc Nov 16th 2006 1:42 pm

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times.

www.uscis.gov