Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a motorcycle

Thinking of buying a motorcycle

Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

garyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of buying a motorcycle

Hi All
Could anyone please advise the procedure when you buy a motorcycle for riding on the roads. Specifically are you allowed to ride it on the road prior to passing a test. Is there a limitation on the engine size for a learner. I have a Florida state driving licence for a car. CHEERS ALL
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying a motorcycle

Originally posted by garyf
Hi All
Could anyone please advise the procedure when you buy a motorcycle for riding on the roads. Specifically are you allowed to ride it on the road prior to passing a test. Is there a limitation on the engine size for a learner. I have a Florida state driving licence for a car. CHEERS ALL
All the info here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/motorcyclefaqs.html
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of buying a motorcycle

Originally posted by ray6
All the info here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/motorcyclefaqs.html
Gary, don't know if it is the same in FL as MD, but hubby bought a bike last year - there is no limits to the CC's. You can ride the bike to the MVA as long as you have a licensed rider accompany you (on their own bike) or ride you in as a passenger. Do a quick ride around the course and there you go, got your license.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:45 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you, Gary! It's my dream and ambition to own and ride a Harley Davidson in the USA and I fully intend to follow it through. I used to be a motorcycle courier in London and if I can cope with that I can cope with anything. Having said that, I find English drivers much more predictable than their US counterparts. Anyone agree? In the US people just seem to drift across the road when they feel like it. I'm hoping the wider roads and lack of parked cars help a little.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing my brother in law said to me after I told him I wanted to buy a bike, was "Do you know what they call motorbike riders in AZ.......Organ donors!" We have crazy accident rates here, and you dont have to wear a helmet.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:05 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
The first thing my brother in law said to me after I told him I wanted to buy a bike, was "Do you know what they call motorbike riders in AZ.......Organ donors!" We have crazy accident rates here, and you dont have to wear a helmet.
Bums
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, we are in Texas and since being here have had numerous bikes. We have a BMW1200 right now,beautiful bike and great fun riding it. Dont really rate Harleys, too expencive and have constant problems. Much perfer ridinhg here than in England. Texas is also a state that allows you to ride without a helmet but if you are stopped you are supposed to have a ticket posted on the bike as proof you are covered by adaquate medical insurance so you do not cost the state money, but we always wear helmets anyway, its a sensible habit
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Glad you wear a helmet sugar. As much as I would like the freedom not to wear one, I would never go without one, it is not worth the risk. It only takes one idiot to cut you off and you are history.
BTW I am still waiting for hubby to come home from his "bike" day out, he took off this morning on a 300+ mile trip - last chance before winter. It is nearly 10pm, but he has phoned me several times and is having a blast. Had to stop as his hands were numb - bet his a#se is too
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bikes

I have a Ducati 916 back here in Scotland, and it is not used very often as you can no doubt imagine the weather is not the best at anytime, however I intend bringing it over when we migrate, has anyone done this before and who can I trust with my beloved beast.

We are hopefully moving too California (monterey area) and wondered what other race rep riders wore as I think my one piece leathers may be a little warm. Helmets are law in California when we were last there we hired a Harley and went cruising, it felt cool, but was scared my mates might have seen me.

"Harley more reliable than a Ducati" I hear you say, probably but not as good looking.

Andy