Reload this Page >

Documents I need to bring with me to the USA

Documents I need to bring with me to the USA

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documents I need to bring with me to the USA

Hello all.

I am now entering 6 weeks and counting until my wife and I move to the USA.

I am currently in the process of getting copies of my credit report, confirmation of driving insurance no claims bonus, resume, etc.

Having been through the process yourselves, are there any other documents you would bring to make the transition easier.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Andy
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Documents I need to bring with me to the USA

Hi Andy,

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong as it's been a few years since I went through this process so it may have changed considerably. I don't think that things like your no-claims bonus and credit report will hold much water over here. You may get a small discount on your car insurance if you can prove your driving record. Also, it's going to be a hard sell with the credit report too if you're trying to get loans and credit cards. I moved here 14 years ago and back then they would not take any of my UK credit or driving record into account. I couldn't even get a Sears card back then.

Also, try and keep some accounts open in the UK. If at a later date you want to open an account in the UK, you'll have a difficult time if you can't prove residency. I'm going thorough that myself now. Try and keep at least one bank and credit card account open. It's also useful when you make trips to the UK. It's easier than dealing with cash and travelers checks.

In any case, good luck with your preparations and I hope your move goes smoothly. Keep us updated with your progress.

Originally posted by Britfrombristol
Hello all.

I am currently in the process of getting copies of my credit report, confirmation of driving insurance no claims bonus, resume, etc.

Having been through the process yourselves, are there any other documents you would bring to make the transition easier.

Cheers.

Andy
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by 1skydive

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong as it's been a few years since I went through this process so it may have changed considerably. I don't think that things like your no-claims bonus and credit report will hold much water over here. You may get a small discount on your car insurance if you can prove your driving record. Also, it's going to be a hard sell with the credit report too if you're trying to get loans and credit cards. I moved here 14 years ago and back then they would not take any of my UK credit or driving record into account. I couldn't even get a Sears card back then.
I agree. In California and in my experience at least, all of those documents would've meant Jack. With my new California driver license, I'll need to hold that for a couple of years as part of their "good driver program" or somesuch before it is worth my while owning or insuring a car under my name - otherwise the insurance rate is seemingly doubled.

Equifax and Experian (and there's another) are checked here when applying for credit and of course they don't talk to/care about/know about how things are for you in the UK.

The only thing that is of any use to you over here in the US from over there in the UK is your accent =)
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.

Better get ready for my best British accent!!

Hey David, I was thinking of yesterday and gave the Winnersh Triangle the middle finger for you.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by 1skydive
Hi Andy,

Also, try and keep some accounts open in the UK. If at a later date you want to open an account in the UK, you'll have a difficult time if you can't prove residency. I'm going thorough that myself now. Try and keep at least one bank and credit card account open. It's also useful when you make trips to the UK. It's easier than dealing with cash and travelers checks.

In any case, good luck with your preparations and I hope your move goes smoothly. Keep us updated with your progress.
Would agree with all you said there, even bought over UK credit report from Experian - same company as US - but they didn't want to know. Only thing my husband was told about,and did before coming out here,was to take out an American Express Credit card while still in England, because it is transferable to the US - think it's the only one that is...

Also did bring over a statement from my Insurance company about my driving record, no claims etc., and that did seem to work with Nationwide Insurance -judging by the quoted amounts for insurance we weren't paying as much as some people - ended up with roughly 900 a year each in car insurance.

We came out here beginning of 97, couldn't get loan for car etc. were told that you have to be here at least 5 years before you can get credit on furniture! But I was able to get store cards like Target, Mervyns, Foley's, Penney's etc. And I wasn't the one working.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:25 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to get a copy of your medical records.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by datcha
The only thing that is of any use to you over here in the US from over there in the UK is your accent =)
Best thing I brought with me!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:42 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunatly these things don't mean a thing in the US. The best ways to get your credit started are to have either an MBNA or American Express Credit card in the UK, then call the american end when you get here and they can give you a card based on your UK credit. Your UK credit counts for nothing and you are starting from zero here. You will be able to get a mortgage and car loan but pay a higher APR than those with any kind of credit in the US.

As for driving record, you will have to work very hard to find a US insurance company that will accept your UK record, we found one but many brits over here haven't and pay up to $4000 a year in insurance premiums.

Make sure you get good advice about your resume, I just found out yesterday (from Pulaski - but don't tell the bugger he was right or I will never hear the end of it) that what a US HR person had told me about my degree was utter crap.

The americans are a very insular bunch and don't really know that the rest of world exists, they certainly don't trust anything that does not originate in america.

Patrick

Originally posted by Britfrombristol
Hello all.

Cheers.

Andy
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Take your marriage certificate and birth certificate. You will need them on more than one occasion.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:35 am
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

I called Capital One last week as my wife and I have a credit card with them and asked if we could transfer it to a US account when we move there next summer and they said they would but the credit limit would only be around $500. Its a start I suppose
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit

The Royal Bank Of Scotland has bought over a large bank in the US I think it is called Capital? they will transfer all your account details to their sister company in US thus giving anyone with a RBS account a credit rating.

So open an account with them sometime before you go and maybe they will allow you to transfer.