Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Thinking American" vs. "Thinking British"

"Thinking American" vs. "Thinking British"

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:48 pm
Franklin

Red face "Thinking American" vs. "Thinking British"

Opps - excuse me I'm British ...

What major or irritating minor things have you done (that you can safely share without embarrassment) that sprung from you "thinking British" instead of "thinking American"?

Me? Took me a while to get out of the habit of competing with vehicle drivers - meeting f2f the actual driver of a vehicle at the driver's side – and getting that look of surprise and confusion. I kept on doing it until I learnt to look into the car to check where the steering was before walking to the front passenger side of the vehicle. I was “thinking British�.

I finally started to "think American" and don't have to do a steering wheel pre-check.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Thinking American" vs. "Thinking British"

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Opps - excuse me I'm British ...

What major or irritating minor things have you done (that you can safely share without embarrassment) that sprung from you "thinking British" instead of "thinking American"?

Me? Took me a while to get out of the habit of competing with vehicle drivers - meeting f2f the actual driver of a vehicle at the driver's side – and getting that look of surprise and confusion. I kept on doing it until I learnt to look into the car to check where the steering was before walking to the front passenger side of the vehicle. I was “thinking British�.

I finally started to "think American" and don't have to do a steering wheel pre-check.
My husband did that when we first moved here only he actually got in the wrong side because he was in such a rush and just sat there thinking 'now whats wrong here'!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

After being here for 2 and half years now I've finally got over the converting $$ to GBP thing. My kids are visiting for Christmas so they still do it, for them it makes everything seem much cheaper (if you could ever call $200 worth of clothes cheap).

I dont do the wrong side of the car thing anymore ... and i drive diagonally across parking lots just like a true American !

Still call blighty home tho
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
That happens to me a fair bit, though mainly when I'm not the driver, I sometimes just go to the left side automatically...happens everynow and again when I'm in a rush too, bit embarrassing, but then I'm using carrying somin' and just dump the stuff on the seat as a quick save

Other thing, saying "2 fish and chips please" and then getting two bits of fish and one portion of chips at the local fish stand bloke jobby last summer....hmmm...
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:09 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh, I did this in the summer and was so embarressed..
The area we live in is very multi racial and we have many lovely black neighbours, my youngest daughter (she's 4) went out to play with another little girl (who is black) after finishing a fudge lolly, I went out after her to wipe her face and the childs mother was outside, in my usual british way, I run out saying "ooh I must just wipe her face, she as black as the ace of spades" As soon as the words left my mouth I just wanted to die and started babbling on about how it's an English saying and I wasn't trying to be rude etc etc..... she was very good and had a giggle about it!!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 11:16 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Oh my gosh, I did this in the summer and was so embarressed..
The area we live in is very multi racial and we have many lovely black neighbours, my youngest daughter (she's 4) went out to play with another little girl (who is black) after finishing a fudge lolly, I went out after her to wipe her face and the childs mother was outside, in my usual british way, I run out saying "ooh I must just wipe her face, she as black as the ace of spades" As soon as the words left my mouth I just wanted to die and started babbling on about how it's an English saying and I wasn't trying to be rude etc etc..... she was very good and had a giggle about it!!
RLMFAO
Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

Spent the first few years converting fahrenheit back to degrees c....got quite nifty at it. Now I'm thinking American and 24 degrees F tonight means I need to bring the plants in

I still say things cost me 50p, 10p... rather than cents. And when people say nickel and dime and all that, I still have to take a couple of seconds to figure out which stupid coin they're talking about.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartiegirl88
I still say things cost me 50p, 10p... rather than cents. And when people say nickel and dime and all that, I still have to take a couple of seconds to figure out which stupid coin they're talking about.
Hehe,...aye, same here....look like a bit of a plank just standing there mulling it over