Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

Old Jun 29th 2003, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Ranjini

Originally posted by Ranjini
You asked

Spokane, WA

Spokane county population: 426,000
http://www.spokane.net/photogallery/summerweb/index.htm
http://www.civiccommunicator.com/soe...otogallery.asp
http://www.spokaneedc.org/video.php

Some Facts about Spokane

*No corporate or personal income tax.
*Ranked 98 out of 200 cities in Forbes magazine's Forbes/Milken *Best Places for Business and Careers list.
*Ranked No. 14 on the American Association of Retired Person's "15 Top Dream Towns" nationwide where retiredment-minded baby boomers can 'reinvent' themselves.
*Has the second-best summer weather in the nation, according to CustomWeather's Top 10 Cities With the Best Summer Climate list .
*Surrounded by 76 lakes, four major rivers, 13 ski areas, and 32 golf courses.
*A thriving high-tech sector with many large companies, such as Agilent Technologies, Alcatel, Getronics, Itron, Telect, World Wide Packets, Itronix, F5 Networks, and Honeywell.
*A world-class telecommunications infrastructure with more miles of fiber per capita than any other area in the world.
*Average 20-minute commute.
*The area's four main hospitals are among the nation's 100 most wired medical facilities according to the Hospitals and Health Network Magazine.
*Ranked the 16th healthiest city for males in Men's Health magazine's 101 Healthiest Cities listing.
*One of only 11 metropolitan areas nationally to receive a grade of A by the American Lung Association for having the least ozone air pollution.
*Energy rates are among the lowest in the nation.
*Median home cost is $110,500.
Sounds like a "One Horse Town".
Old Jun 29th 2003, 3:19 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by frrussre
Just letting you know how some of us live
Were you describing NY here "Patrick, what’s really funny is I'm driving down the road there are pot-holes, so big people put garbage cans in them. There are piles of garbage & filth everywhere. The side walks are crumbling". If that's what you want that's what you've got
Old Jun 29th 2003, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

aramintaalice is an unknown quantity at this point

What does that mean then?
Old Jun 29th 2003, 7:24 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another fact about Spokane
The Huskies still trash the Cougars every season, and people in Seattle think your all inbred.

Not much changed there then.

Mark
Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Just letting you know how some of us live
Were you describing NY here "Patrick, what’s really funny is I'm driving down the road there are pot-holes, so big people put garbage cans in them. There are piles of garbage & filth everywhere. The side walks are crumbling". If that's what you want that's what you've got
Ranjini, I was actually describing, most of America. Compared with the rest of the Major world, it's falling apart.
I call it the Capital of the 3rd world.

If the Government fixed up all the roads, bridges & infrastructure to European Standards. The deficit would rise from 3 Trillion to multi Trillion. I saw an estimate once that said it would cost 3 Trillion to fix up NYC alone. We have roads that have had permanent construction for 25 years. Ask most people on the boards, which State they are in & how bad the Roads are. Except for Spokane of course.
I remember reading as a child, how taxes were less in USA then Europe. Then I came here & found out why. No NHS No Free University & roads, bridges & tunnels that are falling apart. 2 x 2 lane major roads that look like UK Europe 1950.
Reg. Frank R.

Don’t get me started, I take it all back.
Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by aramintaalice
"One Horse Town".
Not very big. Not very cosmopolitan. Local. Village.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

When I go over to the UK I still can't ask where the "toilet" is w/o giggling like a schoolgirl. Also, I get really clastophobic in the stalls because I feel like I'm locking myself in a closet..

Here at the beaches in Southern Cal most of the restrooms don't have stalls in them (including the ladies room).
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:26 am
Banned

Originally posted by aramintaalice
Just that he thinks that every place is a village compared to New York city. Spokane is just the right size for me. It's not small-town nor crazy like Los Angeles, for instance. San Francisco is a charming city. But I don't think we could afford to buy a house there for instance. I don't like living in apartment. I want to live in a city where I can afford to buy a house with a nice garden and plenty of room. Spokane is not big city but neither is it small town. It's quite big by that standard. I have travelled in quite a few states so I know....
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:27 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have travelled in quite a few states so I know....
Do they keep running you out the state, leaving you at the state line and asking you never to return. Your so far north the only state left is Alaska

Patrick
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:31 am
Banned

I saw an estimate once that said it would cost 3 Trillion to fix up NYC alone. <snip>
Reg. Frank R.
Tell me. As far as I know the Federal Govt. funds the maintenance of Interstate Freeways etc. It's the local and state government that fund the repairs to the roads within the city. I know that formerly road repairs in Washington were funded by the money collected from license tabs. However, on an initiative brought in around 1999 the licence tab fee which was between $130 - 300 was reduced to $30. Now legislature has been introduced for a tax on gas which goes into effect on 1st July which we are told will go towards road repairs. So what's going on in NY that they can't find the money for road repairs??
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:46 am
Banned

Originally posted by Patrick
Do they keep running you out the state, leaving you at the state line and asking you never to return. Your so far north the only state left is Alaska
Patrick
Lol I wish. Nothing I love more than being on the road. Must have been a gypsy in a previous birth. Furthest North I have been is to Vancouver B.C. Would love to go to Alaska. A cruise from Seattle would be nice...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tell me. As far as I know the Federal Govt. funds the maintenance of Interstate Freeways etc. It's the local and state government that fund the repairs to the roads within the city. I know that formerly road repairs in Washington were funded by the money collected from license tabs. However, on an initiative brought in around 1999 the licence tab fee which was between $130 - 300 was reduced to $30. Now legislature has been introduced for a tax on gas which goes into effect on 1st July which we are told will go towards road repairs. So what's going on in NY that they can't find the money for road repairs??
Closed shop Unions, they steal all the money. 10 guys 9 leaning on shovels. The rest of the World uses Super Tarmac, made by adding recycled crushed glass. Has a 25 year life span. Unions here refuse to use it. They use asphalt that lasts for 5 years. Keeps them in work. They don't work nights, they generally don't work weekends. The 1-495 Long Island Expressway, has been in construction has long as I have lived here.
They are talking about a new tunnel from NY to NJ. It will take 2 years, to get set to go & the Tunnel will be finished in 2115. Sad. I don't make this stuff up. They had a dozen crews on Pot-Hole repair, the NY Daily News just did an expose. 1 truck for a day’s work filled in 6 pot-holes. Spent the rest of the day in the cafe/Bank/Gym/Cafe & returned to the depot, 1 our before the end of shift. They took a nap around the corner.

Frank R.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

The rest of the World uses Super Tarmac, made by adding recycled crushed glass. Has a 25 year life span. Unions here refuse to use it. They use asphalt that lasts for 5 years.
Frank R.
I believe they prefer to use a curious mix of concrete & a ready supply of opponents of a certain Italian family for the flyovers too ?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

julieb is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

We have had all the good things about the US (a million times) but what has let you down about moving over here. Especially in respect to what people have said (and what your expectations where) compared to the reality.

I know things are going to be different state to state and city to city but do you think the Customer Service is all it is cracked up to be, are the people as nice as you thought they would be, is everything as cheap as you where led to beleive.

What has shocked you, what has surprised you, what has made you weep like a 7 year old girl who just found out Father Christmas didn't exist!

Patrick

Welllll ....getting back to your original question..

Customer service is pretty ok most of the time here in Tampa but I was in San Antonio in TX for a while and the service was really good...they said "have a nice day, y'all come back again soon ya hear me?" and...they actually meant it because they looked you in the eyes!
They were trying to train the check out staff in Asda in the UK to do it ...disaster...they would look down and mutter it!
Seems so false in the UK when people say it ...because...well...they don't mean it!
I read your 'sprout' incident thread...well I keep asking for jacket potatoes...blank look..hubby quickly says "baked"...well I will not stop asking for them!!!
Drivers here are nuts...husband says it is because there is a lot of old people in FL...well yes then I can see his point as they drive like there is only themselves on the road in the UK also (as well!) lol.
TELEPHONE conversations are a joke...I have stopped trying now..."I'm sorry Maam" has been said way too many times to me as they do not understand what I am saying...this has made me close to tears at times as some calls are very important and have frustrated me.
Toilets...hmmm yes they are horrible..but you know what my husband says...he needs to go 'potty'...yes UK people understand STRAIGHT away what this means..I first told him I didn't know he was a baby...then I asked if he would like me to book him into a mental institute...aaahhh??!!
Not happy with the way things are so different state to state...Tx have license plates on front and rear of ..veerr hi culs.(lol) sorry cars etc and FL you need only one on the rear??!! hmm who am I to judge?
Fl...no Taco Cabana resturaunts...which is truely heart breaking as they serve the most delicious and alcohol laced frozen Margeritas not to be matched else where I am certain!
I miss PUBS ..REAL PUBS..you can keep bars!
Chips REAL chippy's....yuuummmm mushy peas.....
PORK PIES...ok I'm getting depressed now

Julie

Last edited by julieb; Jun 30th 2003 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

julieb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

We have had all the good things about the US (a million times) but what has let you down about moving over here. Especially in respect to what people have said (and what your expectations where) compared to the reality.

I know things are going to be different state to state and city to city but do you think the Customer Service is all it is cracked up to be, are the people as nice as you thought they would be, is everything as cheap as you where led to beleive.

What has shocked you, what has surprised you, what has made you weep like a 7 year old girl who just found out Father Christmas didn't exist!

Patrick

oh yeah another thing I'm tired of...writing the date the 'wrong way' around...I know I am right...they are wrong!
I was born on 16/12 I do not care what anyone says!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.