Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

which of these cities and states would you choose?

Wikiposts

which of these cities and states would you choose?

Old May 2nd 2007, 5:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which of these cities and states would you choose?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Bakersfield is an armpit with no redeeming features. On top of that, like much of the Central Valley, it is pretty much ground zero for CA housing prices that have lost all relationship to incomes and thus is very susceptible to falling house prices over the next few years.
Used to have a good drag strip ......
Old May 4th 2007, 8:07 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
I am with a nursing agency and they have the followig places available for assignment. I know a lot will depend on where they have openings but i want to have some sort of priority set as they do try to place you where you want to go

here are my choices and my opinions so far

Orlando FL (nice place, have visited before, but worried about job market for hubby, low wages and high cost of living )

Phoenix AZ (very hot, feel as though it is more isolated than the east coast, good job opps for hubby, loads of house rentals)

York PA (like the small town idea, reasonably commutable to baltimore and Philly and Harrisburg for hubby finding work, not sure about weather)

Baltimore MD (don't really know much about this city TBH, but seems convenient for both Baltimore and DC if we lived somewhere inbetween both, seems expensive rental wise and high taxea??? but i would ge a higher pay level if working here, again weather issues, I live in Scotland ow and would love at least a nice long summer, but not concerned about having snow in winter)

Atlanta GA (not sure they still have assignments here, seems to be a good place weather wise and renting costs are reasonable, traffic is an issue i believe?)

Bakersfield CA, from what i have read i don't want to move here whatsoever!!!)

so that is my brief opinions but wondered if you could add anything else. I have looked into schools in the areas and have found both good and bad ones, but that is a comparison of school within that city, what about a comparison between states ie. would a bad school in PA be better still than a top rated school in say Orlando?

many thanks
Hi Suzan

I can't tell you which place would be best for you, but can offer my experiences with those areas on your list.I like options, and any place I live must offer flexibility in terms of entertainment and financial opportunities.I have vacationed in Arizona,shopped in Baltimore MD,spent whole summers in PA with family members,lived one year in California,been to Atlanta more times than I can count and currently live in Orlando florida.If you are looking for places which offer safety,affordability,entertainment,ethnic diversity, and educational & financial opportunities then I would rank them in this order.

1)Orlando.Its a town which offer many opportunities of a large city but feels much smaller in size and pace, compared to a large city.Have lived here one year and visited several time over the years.Its a international city and there are many brits living either in Orlando or the outlining areas.

Orlando offers fun night spots to take in when the mood strikes your fancy for dancing and dining.Tons of excellent resturants and bars.People are friendly here, which is a must for me after having lived in New Jersey for so many years where people are not that quick to open up to a stranger.Housing is still affordable and I feel safe here.Orlando does have some crime but I would say its one of the safer cities on your list.Move to a nice neighborhood or a gated community and you feel perfectly safe.I knew Orlando was a fun place to spend time but not until I lived here did I learn what a great place this is to live and raise a family.Doesn't hurt that the beaches are only one hour away.Great thing about the distance from the water is you're insulated from any possible hurricanes if they were to come this way.By the time a storm were to get here it would have weakened a great deal.That is another reason why people who like florida pick orlando.If you like the quiet life with fun nearby,try Maitland,Winter Park or Sandford ,all with in 15-20 minutes of Orlando.

2)York,PA area

Its a nice place to raise a family,very safe,not alot of entertainment options but you can always jump in the car and drive some where else for that.If you like all four seasons you will find it there.Winters can be very snowy and freezing.If you don't mind snow(I've had more than my share)PA is a nice state to live in.The biggest reason why it takes the second spot on my list is home prices.One of the few east coast states in the north where homes are still very cheap.My cousin recently paid $300,000 for a brand new large dream home.$170,000 would be more than enough to buy a very nice house in that area.

3)Atlanta

Atlanta is a grab bag of riches.Great weather 9 months a year.Very affordable housing(2nd only to PA) , excellent crafsmanship and beautifully styled homes to pick from.You really do get alot of house for your money.Its a gate way state which explain why so many people fell in love with the city,while passing through on their way to some where else .Many people move to Atlanta to have a large city but with that traditional southern feel.That truely is Atlanta...Yaw!! Excellent shopping which is almost as good as Orlando.Very nice bars,night clubs,places to enjoy live entertainment.Crime is slightly higher than Orlando by last national rankings.Living just out side the city should eliminate most if not all crime issues.Has several colleges including nursing schools.Biggest draw back is the fact there are no other major points of interest.Meaning,you have Atlanta and Atlanta only.If you live in Orlando and want to see something different,you have day cruises,$99.00 flights to the Bahamas and Puerto Rico,even 2 hours away by car you have Miamibeach or the Everglades.In and near Atlanta you have only Atlanta.

4)Phoenix AZ

Nice place,lovely style homes but abit pricey.Very scenic region of the country and near several other interesting states to visit.Only major draw back is the weather.It can be 105 degrees at night in the summer.For sure the hottest place I've vacationed in.But like they say,its a dry heat, with very little humidity which does help alot.Nice colleges but more expensive than schools in the above states.

5)Bakersfield California

Bakersfield is a busy pace city,very expensive,is on the plus side for opportunities,very attractive place,has a crime problem,living just out side the city would eliminate that issue.Nurses do VERY well in Cali,especially agency nurses.A friend of a friend does agency contract nursing,she travels quite abit in different states.She currently is doing a short term contract(3 months) in Berkley California right out side San Fransico.She is in having so much fun enjoying her career while traveling.

Unless you are independently wealthy forget about buying realestate.A matchbox can cost $800,000 in Cali.If not for the high cost of houses and living expense ,California would be my #1 or 2 pick on this list because its the most progressive state in the country.There is a live, let live mentality in Cali.The weather is IDEA!!! The beaches are awsome. There are universities and colleges EVERYWHERE. If you happen to be a in-state resident,californian "state" schools are about the cheapest in the country because they are state sponsored.Of course that would not apply to a person newly living here in America.California's expensive cost of living represents the high number of people who want to live there.

Baltimore,MD

Flush it.Would not recommend .Not a safe place to live.Was the murder capital of the country for a few years.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:04 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Hi Suzan

I can't tell you which place would be best for you, but can offer my experiences with those areas on your list.I like options, and any place I live must offer flexibility in terms of entertainment and financial opportunities.I have vacationed in Arizona,shopped in Baltimore MD,spent whole summers in PA with family members,lived one year in California,been to Atlanta more times than I can count and currently live in Orlando florida.If you are looking for places which offer safety,affordability,entertainment,ethnic diversity, and educational & financial opportunities then I would rank them in this order.

1)Orlando.Its a town which offer many opportunities of a large city but feels much smaller in size and pace, compared to a large city.Have lived here one year and visited several time over the years.Its a international city and there are many brits living either in Orlando or the outlining areas.

Orlando offers fun night spots to take in when the mood strikes your fancy for dancing and dining.Tons of excellent resturants and bars.People are friendly here, which is a must for me after having lived in New Jersey for so many years where people are not that quick to open up to a stranger.Housing is still affordable and I feel safe here.Orlando does have some crime but I would say its one of the safer cities on your list.Move to a nice neighborhood or a gated community and you feel perfectly safe.I knew Orlando was a fun place to spend time but not until I lived here did I learn what a great place this is to live and raise a family.Doesn't hurt that the beaches are only one hour away.Great thing about the distance from the water is you're insulated from any possible hurricanes if they were to come this way.By the time a storm were to get here it would have weakened a great deal.That is another reason why people who like florida pick orlando.If you like the quiet life with fun nearby,try Maitland,Winter Park or Sandford ,all with in 15-20 minutes of Orlando.

2)York,PA area

Its a nice place to raise a family,very safe,not alot of entertainment options but you can always jump in the car and drive some where else for that.If you like all four seasons you will find it there.Winters can be very snowy and freezing.If you don't mind snow(I've had more than my share)PA is a nice state to live in.The biggest reason why it takes the second spot on my list is home prices.One of the few east coast states in the north where homes are still very cheap.My cousin recently paid $300,000 for a brand new large dream home.$170,000 would be more than enough to buy a very nice house in that area.

3)Atlanta

Atlanta is a grab bag of riches.Great weather 9 months a year.Very affordable housing(2nd only to PA) , excellent crafsmanship and beautifully styled homes to pick from.You really do get alot of house for your money.Its a gate way state which explain why so many people fell in love with the city,while passing through on their way to some where else .Many people move to Atlanta to have a large city but with that traditional southern feel.That truely is Atlanta...Yaw!! Excellent shopping which is almost as good as Orlando.Very nice bars,night clubs,places to enjoy live entertainment.Crime is slightly higher than Orlando by last national rankings.Living just out side the city should eliminate most if not all crime issues.Has several colleges including nursing schools.Biggest draw back is the fact there are no other major points of interest.Meaning,you have Atlanta and Atlanta only.If you live in Orlando and want to see something different,you have day cruises,$99.00 flights to the Bahamas and Puerto Rico,even 2 hours away by car you have Miamibeach or the Everglades.In and near Atlanta you have only Atlanta.

4)Phoenix AZ

Nice place,lovely style homes but abit pricey.Very scenic region of the country and near several other interesting states to visit.Only major draw back is the weather.It can be 105 degrees at night in the summer.For sure the hottest place I've vacationed in.But like they say,its a dry heat, with very little humidity which does help alot.Nice colleges but more expensive than schools in the above states.

5)Bakersfield California

Bakersfield is a busy pace city,very expensive,is on the plus side for opportunities,very attractive place,has a crime problem,living just out side the city would eliminate that issue.Nurses do VERY well in Cali,especially agency nurses.A friend of a friend does agency contract nursing,she travels quite abit in different states.She currently is doing a short term contract(3 months) in Berkley California right out side San Fransico.She is in having so much fun enjoying her career while traveling.

Unless you are independently wealthy forget about buying realestate.A matchbox can cost $800,000 in Cali.If not for the high cost of houses and living expense ,California would be my #1 or 2 pick on this list because its the most progressive state in the country.There is a live, let live mentality in Cali.The weather is IDEA!!! The beaches are awsome. There are universities and colleges EVERYWHERE. If you happen to be a in-state resident,californian "state" schools are about the cheapest in the country because they are state sponsored.Of course that would not apply to a person newly living here in America.California's expensive cost of living represents the high number of people who want to live there.

Baltimore,MD

Flush it.Would not recommend .Not a safe place to live.Was the murder capital of the country for a few years.

Although I much prefer my area of Georgia I have to say in Atlanta's defense that one thing you do have is access to the mountains. If you're in to hiking etc, the Appalachian Trail isn't that far away.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:12 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I wouldn't make a statement that isn't true. Orlando is a murder infested, drug infested, tourist infested, expensive hellhole.

If your thing is riding the teacups at Disney every weekend, then you'd obviously enjoy it.

If you want to give your family a good life, and have some $$ left to enjoy it, being a nurse in Florida with a family isn't it. There are thousands of MIDDLE CLASS and wealthy folk leaving the state because of the cost of living.

But then of course, krizzy knows it all. Living here a few weeks/months a year.
Not to get in between this debate but just wanted to correct a few mistakes.Florida has the "highest" number of people moving into the state than any state in America in 2006.That is a fact you can look up on google.I live in Orlando.Its a wonderful city but when I first came here my concern was hoping the place wouldn't be too dull.Thankfully its a fun place to be but by no means is it a wild place like you described.I'm curious about where you have been in Orlando to have form such a wrong impression of the place?There is crime here but you don't see it unless you are in the less desirable neighborhoods.But what most people do is live just out side Orlando in the townships of Maitland,Sandford and other towns like Winter Park.They are very safe,up scale and close enough to Orlando for night life and shopping.And who wouldn't want access to Nordstroms and Bloomingdales?I agree there is traffic in Orlando and based on statistics it has worsen in the last 5 years because of population growth.I guess the word is out about how nice the area is.

Could your impression come from watching television? Cut that TV off,get out and see Orlando for your self.It must be a great place, for my whole family to want to live here,considering they have the financial resources to live where they want.Not to mention all the celebrities who live right in Orlando or have vacation homes here.Where I'm located,Tiger Woods lives 10 minutes away.Don't think they would be here if this place was half as bad as you believe,nor would I.Plus, this is a family city geared around making people feel comfortable so they will enjoy all the various tourist attractions.Don't you think if Orlando was a unsafe destination the theme parks would be unsafe as well?I've been in Orlando for one year,have vacationed here going back to the 1980's.There is crime in every city in America and the UK but you can't let fear get the better of you.

Last edited by YankeemovingAbroad; May 4th 2007 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Although I much prefer my area of Georgia I have to say in Atlanta's defense that one thing you do have is access to the mountains. If you're in to hiking etc, the Appalachian Trail isn't that far away.

I agree,good point!
Old May 5th 2007, 1:18 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Actually, you're so right. I'd rather everyone move to Orlando, as they're doing, rather than my side of the state anyday. At least it is still fairly quiet, and we don't have a crime or traffic problem with access to all and more that you mentioned. Even a Nordstroms!

Not to get in between this debate but just wanted to correct a few mistakes.Florida has the "highest" number of people moving into the state than any state in America in 2006.That is a fact you can look up on google.I live in Orlando.Its a wonderful city but when I first came here my concern was hoping the place wouldn't be too dull.Thankfully its a fun place to be but by no means is it a wild place like you described.I'm curious about where you have been in Orlando to have form such a wrong impression of the place?There is crime here but you don't see it unless you are in the less desirable neighborhoods.But what most people do is live just out side Orlando in the townships of Maitland,Sandford and other towns like Winter Park.They are very safe,up scale and close enough to Orlando for night life and shopping.And who wouldn't want access to Nordstroms and Bloomingdales?I agree there is traffic in Orlando and based on statistics it has worsen in the last 5 years because of population growth.I guess the word is out about how nice the area is.

Could your impression come from watching television? Cut that TV off,get out and see Orlando for your self.It must be a great place, for my whole family to want to live here,considering they have the financial resources to live where they want.Not to mention all the celebrities who live right in Orlando or have vacation homes here.Where I'm located,Tiger Woods lives 10 minutes away.Don't think they would be here if this place was half as bad as you believe,nor would I.Plus, this is a family city geared around making people feel comfortable so they will enjoy all the various tourist attractions.Don't you think if Orlando was a unsafe destination the theme parks would be unsafe as well?I've been in Orlando for one year,have vacationed here going back to the 1980's.There is crime in every city in America and the UK but you can't let fear get the better of you.

Last edited by TouristTrap; May 5th 2007 at 1:22 am.
Old May 5th 2007, 4:30 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Yankie good posts full of useful advice.....just what was lacking around here.......
Old May 5th 2007, 7:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Yankie good posts full of useful advice.....just what was lacking around here.......
Not very accurate ..but interesting ...
Old May 5th 2007, 4:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Not very accurate ..but interesting ...
Ok,correct me if you can.
Old May 5th 2007, 4:51 pm
Ray

Ok,correct me if you can.
Using accurate data ..you will find the crime rate is higher in Orlando
than Miami ...
Hurricanes hit Polk bad last year ... or year before really ..

You must realize the powers keep all bad report down to an amazing degree ...
Old May 5th 2007, 11:09 pm
Banned

Crime rates for cities with populations greater than 250,000 in 2005
The following table of 2005 homicides is based on Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports statistics that initially became available in September 2006. The data is available on the FBI 2005 statistic site and is downloadable in Excel format. Populations are on the FBI spreadsheet which they say is based on U.S. Census estimates. The number of homicides also includes nonnegligent manslaughter. New Orleans, Louisiana which was number 1 in 2004 is not included in this list because of the Hurricane Katrina disaster. This list is based on the reporting agency. In most cases the city and the reporting agency are identical. However, in some cases such as Honolulu and Las Vegas, the reporting agency encompasses more than one city.

Rates are based on cases per 100,000.

Rank State City Population Burglary Theft Vehicle Arson Property Total Rape Robbery Assault Homicide Violent Total Homicide Rate
1 Maryland Baltimore 641,097 7,338 19,691 6,212 422 33,241 162 3,910 6,907 269 11,248 42.0
2 Michigan Detroit 900,932 15,304 17,383 21,285 936 53,972 589 6,820 13,477 354 21,240 39.3
3 Missouri St. Louis 346,005 7,213 22,886 8,146 535 38,245 276 2,965 4,951 131 8,323 37.9
4 District Of Columbia Washington 550,521 3,571 14,162 7,467 61 25,200 165 3,502 3,854 195 7,716 35.4
5 New Jersey Newark 281,063 2,056 4,974 5,690 179 12,720 83 1,250 1,391 97 2,821 34.5
6 Missouri Kansas City 447,915 7,429 21,603 5,790 395 34,822 295 2,000 4,115 126 6,536 28.1
7 Pennsylvania Philadelphia 1,472,915 10,960 38,039 11,420 * 60,419 1,024 10,069 10,139 377 21,609 25.6
8 Ohio Cincinnati 314,292 5,430 14,029 2,952 240 22,411 315 2,319 1,010 79 3,723 25.1
9 Ohio Cleveland 458,885 8,598 13,145 6,800 505 28,543 478 3,743 2,086 109 6,416 23.8
10 California Oakland 400,619 5,783 8,227 9,017 266 23,027 306 2,672 2,621 93 5,692 23.2
11 Georgia Atlanta 430,666 6,648 18,993 5,756 198 31,397 223 2,861 4,039 90 7,213 20.9
12 Wisconsin Milwaukee 586,500 4,570 21,611 6,631 254 32,812 158 2,927 2,804 121 6,010 20.6
13 Tennessee Memphis 678,988 15,844 32,632 8,304 225 56,780 400 4,464 7,628 137 12,629 20.2
14 New York Buffalo 283,269 4,240 10,089 2,401 368 16,730 184 1,667 2,031 56 3,938 19.8
15 Pennsylvania Pittsburgh 330,780 3,018 10,337 2,273 55 15,628 117 1,617 1,588 63 3,385 19.0
16 Tennessee Nashville 557,034 6,448 25,900 3,448 135 35,796 336 2,440 6,103 95 8,974 17.1
17 Texas Dallas 1,230,303 22,363 52,315 14,277 984 88,955 562 6,882 7,783 202 15,429 16.4
18 Texas Houston 2,045,732 27,541 72,476 20,408 1,262 120,425 872 11,128 11,653 334 23,987 16.3
19 Illinois Chicago 2,873,441 25,314 83,373 22,496 682 131,183 * 15,964 17,943 448 * 15.6
20 Arizona Phoenix 1,466,296 16,255 52,537 24,536 472 93,328 533 4,237 5,701 220 10,691 15.0
21 Oklahoma Tulsa 386,414 6,592 14,847 3,730 308 25,169 303 1,096 3,538 58 4,995 15.0
22 California Stockton 281,747 3,434 11,487 3,940 60 18,861 109 1,357 2,695 41 4,202 14.6
23 Ohio Columbus 730,329 14,604 31,724 7,813 465 54,141 518 3,777 1,714 102 6,111 14.0
24 Florida Miami 388,295 5,377 13,930 4,014 143 23,321 62 2,019 3,999 54 6,134 13.9
25 Indiana Indianapolis 800,304 11,548 29,541 8,992 374 50,081 527 3,274 4,039 108 7,948 13.5
26 Massachusetts Boston 567,589 4,531 15,957 4,717 * 25,205 268 2,649 4,489 73 7,479 12.9
27 California San Francisco 749,172 6,208 19,887 8,174 188 34,269 172 3,078 2,639 96 5,985 12.8
28 California Los Angeles 3,871,077 22,592 65,972 28,721 2,229 117,285 1,105 13,797 16,376 489 31,767 12.6
29 North Carolina Charlotte-Mecklenburg 677,122 12,783 26,708 7,098 317 46,589 323 3,649 3,876 85 7,933 12.6
30 Minnesota Minneapolis 376,277 5,535 12,988 3,894 220 22,417 402 2,584 2,439 47 5,472 12.5
31 Florida St. Petersburg 254,713 3,534 10,395 2,394 84 16,323 101 959 2,847 30 3,937 11.8
32 Florida Jacksonville 795,259 8,998 29,583 4,936 182 43,517 189 2,253 4,067 91 6,600 11.4
33 California Sacramento 457,347 5,841 13,320 6,922 352 26,083 170 2,018 3,025 52 5,265 11.4
34 Nevada Las Vegas (metro) 1,281,698 14,368 27,695 19,950 441 62,013 616 3,494 5,275 145 9,530 11.3
35 California Bakersfield 285,821 3,746 10,034 2,658 182 16,438 45 530 1,099 32 1,706 11.2
36 New Mexico Albuquerque 490,631 5,744 20,703 3,796 60 30,243 285 1,150 3,182 53 4,670 10.8
37 California Fresno 460,758 4,170 16,088 5,288 248 25,546 149 1,275 2,424 49 3,897 10.6
38 Colorado Denver 564,552 7,360 18,518 8,024 256 33,902 328 1,432 2,673 59 4,492 10.5
39 Arizona Tucson 529,447 5,130 19,642 6,527 307 31,299 378 1,685 2,930 55 5,048 10.4
40 Oklahoma Oklahoma City 531,688 8,925 28,635 4,585 180 42,145 358 1,193 2,933 54 4,538 10.2
41 Texas Fort Worth 613,261 8,684 24,811 3,715 283 37,210 311 1,379 2,170 60 3,920 9.8
42 Colorado Aurora 295,888 2,474 9,502 2,742 90 14,718 223 644 941 28 1,836 9.5
43 Ohio Toledo 305,107 7,101 13,331 3,198 421 23,630 179 1,356 2,162 28 3,725 9.2
44 Kentucky Louisville Metro 623,735 7,146 17,150 3,150 281 27,446 209 1,822 1,810 55 3,896 8.8
45 California Long Beach 479,729 2,955 6,808 3,743 123 13,506 104 1,403 1,850 42 3,399 8.8
46 Minnesota St. Paul 278,692 3,484 7,761 2,448 153 13,693 220 778 1,421 24 2,443 8.6
47 Nebraska Omaha 412,128 3,164 15,079 3,813 138 22,056 199 682 1,415 31 2,327 7.5
48 Texas San Antonio 1,256,584 14,365 60,649 5,973 424 80,987 593 2,154 5,174 86 8,007 6.8
49 New York New York 8,115,690 23,210 120,918 18,381 * 162,509 1,412 24,722 27,950 539 54,623 6.6
50 Texas Arlington 365,380 3,984 14,609 1,810 52 20,403 178 768 1,399 24 2,369 6.6
51 Arizona Mesa 452,340 3,560 16,263 4,248 52 24,071 194 460 1,597 29 2,280 6.4
52 Florida Tampa 329,035 4,914 12,564 2,793 49 20,271 210 1,160 3,317 20 4,707 6.1
53 North Carolina Raleigh 332,084 3,040 8,480 1,008 78 12,528 88 762 1,181 20 2,051 6.0
54 Alaska Anchorage 276,109 1,783 8,248 1,334 76 11,365 224 384 1,407 16 2,031 5.8
55 Kentucky Lexington 268,124 2,172 7,391 745 22 10,308 147 575 739 15 1,476 5.6
56 California Santa Ana 344,991 1,194 5,515 3,583 156 10,292 74 644 1,110 17 1,845 4.9
57 Virginia Virginia Beach 446,448 2,213 10,376 753 116 13,342 96 622 402 20 1,140 4.5
58 Washington Seattle 579,215 6,761 27,147 9,563 217 43,471 138 1,607 2,339 25 4,109 4.3
59 California San Diego 1,272,148 7,462 24,613 14,138 233 46,213 376 1,862 4,314 51 6,603 4.0
60 Texas Austin 693,019 7,285 31,835 2,548 115 41,668 312 1,182 1,873 26 3,393 3.8
61 Oregon Portland 540,389 6,121 25,794 5,730 375 37,645 325 1,137 2,376 20 3,858 3.7
62 California Riverside 290,299 2,498 8,157 2,770 208 13,425 113 675 1,156 10 1,954 3.4
63 Colorado Colorado Springs 374,482 3,676 14,164 1,779 107 19,619 251 439 1,090 12 1,792 3.2
64 California Anaheim 335,992 1,929 5,537 2,046 79 9,512 81 554 971 10 1,616 3.0
65 California San Jose 910,528 4,049 13,374 5,507 388 22,930 263 884 2,319 26 3,492 2.9
66 Texas Corpus Christi 285,821 3,357 15,870 906 112 20,133 217 481 1,342 8 2,048 2.8
67 Texas El Paso 601,839 2,151 14,925 2,599 161 19,675 295 448 1,857 14 2,614 2.3
68 Hawaii Honolulu 908,521 6,209 29,376 6,798 547 42,383 234 841 1,480 15 2,570 1.7

[edit] See also
Crime in New York City
Crime in Washington, D.C.
Crime and social issues of St. Louis, Missouri
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate"
Category: Crime
Old May 5th 2007, 11:14 pm
Banned

I repeat,Orlando is a safe city compared to many other places .If you notice is did not make the top crime cities in America list,yet Miami is ranked #24.BTW,I was here when the hurricanes came through and not once did I lose my power or suffered any structural damage to my place.People just love proving me correct
Old May 5th 2007, 11:26 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Crime rates for cities with populations greater than 250,000 in 2005
Camden, NJ was the most dangerous city in the US for 2004 and 2005. I assume it has a population less than 250,000.

Edit pop. 80,000

Last edited by gruffbrown; May 5th 2007 at 11:28 pm.
Old May 5th 2007, 11:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

60 Texas Austin 693,019 7,285 31,835 2,548 115 41,668 312 1,182 1,873 26 3,393 3.8
66 Texas Corpus Christi 285,821 3,357 15,870 906 112 20,133 217 481 1,342 8 2,048 2.8
Wow. Grew up in #66 and live in #60.

Y'all come on down!
Old May 5th 2007, 11:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Camden, NJ was the most dangerous city in the US for 2004 and 2005. I assume it has a population less than 250,000.

Edit pop. 80,000
Maybe Camden was the most dangerous smaller size city in America? I have been through Camden. For several years the most dangerous city title went back and forth between New Orleans,Detroit,Baltimore and Miami.New Orleans was and is very dangerous even more so after Katrina.I once lived in Mobile Alabama and would go over to New Orleans for shopping.This one trip I had just pulled into the city off the highway found a parking spot parked my car and no sooner had I closed and locked my door,thugs were preparing to break in and drive off with it.They didn't even bother to wait until I was out of sight Safe to say I did not use street parking after that experience.I think it always a bad sign when every store you go into the sales clerks warn you to be careful because the city can be dangerous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.