Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to get to USA permanent ?

Wikiposts

Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a way to get to USA permanent ?

Originally Posted by Bossman-kent
HI

Wanted to move to Florida permanently but have no relatives and the idea of spending some 1/2 million in setting up a business to qualify , does somewhat spoil the idea of retiring there ?

Just wondered if any one had any good ideas to move there as its my ideal location .

Pete
Why in the heck do they all want to go to Florida??? Its hot, humid and the hurricanes will blow you into Georgia or some other horrible redneck State (sorry for those who are living there already and like it)
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Love you Bob - how are ya?
I'm good ta, and yourself?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not sounding like you've got enough money to live here without a job then, health insurance is insanely expensive, and getting sick without it is a whole world of pain...

well i checked out USA on web and says need to invest etc seems to defeat the object surely.

For your information i would bring to the USA myself who can be damn funny for sure , but would be totally self funded with assets over a million and live on some 30,000 a year which would be going into the kitty there .
But i just cant see the logic of the US making you invest 1/2 million in a business when i want to start having easy life and would be self sufficient .

My next choice is majorca unless there is a simple way round the rules which are to solid i feel ?
Majorca has the best beaches but the language is a problem maybe ..USA doesnt have that prob..

i am 100% English so is my mrs , always been proud to be british till last few years as i see the country going down the pan ...

So maybe now you can quit the wise remarks and realise i am serious and offer any help ??

Pete
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

well i checked out USA on web and says need to invest etc seems to defeat the object surely.

For your information i would bring to the USA myself who can be damn funny for sure , but would be totally self funded with assets over a million and live on some 30,000 a year which would be going into the kitty there .
But i just cant see the logic of the US making you invest 1/2 million in a business when i want to start having easy life and would be self sufficient .

My next choice is majorca unless there is a simple way round the rules which are to solid i feel ?
Majorca has the best beaches but the language is a problem maybe ..USA doesnt have that prob..

i am 100% English so is my mrs , always been proud to be british till last few years as i see the country going down the pan ...

So maybe now you can quit the wise remarks and realise i am serious and offer any help ??

Pete

With that attitude you may be jumping from the frying pan to the fire...

NC Penguin
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
if M&S open up in Florida I will be moving south....somewhere very close to Hudson FL looks good.
A bit of Hudson history for you ...........

When Walt Disney came to Hudson in the 1950's, he liked the location and wanted to put an amusement park here called, “Disney World.” As Disney was negotiating with the State of Florida for the land a group of Hudson dwellers did not want their property confiscated by the State and went to Tallahassee to fight the coming eminent domain battle. They were led by a German immigrant, a dissenter of the Nazi Regime who moved to the USA. In court, he stated emotionally that in Germany the government could do what it willed, good or bad. There were less freedoms and rights available for property owners and it seemed to him that the State of Florida was doing the same thing to the people of Hudson. This convinced the State and it told Disney to keep looking. If things had went differently, Cinderella's Castle may have sat on Hudson Beach.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good. I think moving to Florida is a great idea. Its nice and sunny, there are loads of Brits ...I've even heard a rumour that M & S are opening a store there. Proper home from home I'd say.
You rich people mostly become snowbirds buy a house and
stay down her Nov to April ...
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:52 pm
Ray

1; Then should of checked region first ?? as where i liked in Florida super houses with lake moorings for $ 350,000 is cheap here .
But did you check the Deed restriction, property taxes, electric and water bills...
Bit academic when unless you want to start your career again and go through the rat race saga build a business work every day etc, then the US dont want you do they ??
Basically there is no way you can retire properly here ....
Your right they don't want you .....
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blaze
http://www.critzfarms.com/fall.html
and wandered around in the pick your own pumpkin patch. We got some really great photos too.
These are some of the things we miss of ustate. We used to go to a place like that near Saratoga Springs. Its so nice for the kids this time of year.
Have you visited the Capitol district much?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:41 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I thought for once, that I would be helpful so below I offer an almost surefire way of getting to the States - will be especially handy for your Florida dream!

1) Move to Cuba for a while.
2) Get a Cuban passport.
3) Purchase an inner tube, lilo or orange inflatable dinghy (with your million plus assets you might even get to purchase a pedalo) and sail on across. Of course, you'll have to outrun the Coastguard, so bringing belongings with you is a no no. Don't bring cigars! The number of Cubano-Brits who make that mistake and get jailed for bringing illegal tobaco products into the country is beyond belief!

Seriously, why do you think you got such replies? You are not the first person to wish to move to FL, the question has been asked and answered many, many times by many people here. You may believe with your million plus asset base that you are very important and I am sure you are, but to USCIS, at the moment you are no better than a fence hopping Mexican.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

well you could always end up on death row I guess.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

From the OP's other post:

"...I have been searching to move from the Uk before the deeper rot sets in "

Methinks a Daily Mail reader is heading for dissapointment.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

1; Then should of checked region first ?? as where i liked in Florida super houses with lake moorings for $ 350,000 is cheap here .

2; permanent living in them is no problem luxury houses ,
Out of interest where are these house you've seen?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 8:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Titchski
.........but to USCIS, at the moment you are no better than a fence hopping Mexican.
Why not get a really good tan, grow a moustache, put on a plaid shirt and saggy jeans and join the rest of them? In Tijuana, he can get a fake ID with Pedro on it. Course the diet of beans, beans and more beans on an English tummy will probably be quite explosive at first.....
Old Sep 18th 2006, 8:34 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

How about Cuba?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
How about Cuba?
.......and now, our weatherman Tony Montana.
".....dis f**kin rain man is coming down allover the f**kin Hoonited State, ther'l be f**kin earthquakes man allover f**ckin Calif**kinfornia man."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.