Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas driving test - written

Texas driving test - written

Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:55 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Texas driving test - written

Having read through a few threads here re the Texas driving test (and I concur that driving in this State is more avoidence of others that doing what the road signs tell you) I am still a little confused.

I picked up the DoT book and was initially quite impressed with the detail. Yes, some of the rules are contrary to what we were taught in the UK but some of them made good sense. But it is a huge pdf file, even when printed out.

They don't appear to have any (official) handy little books on how to pass your test like they do in the uk so I went looking on line and found this online test site. It was only about $15 so I thought, what the hell.

The tests, allegedly, are supposed to the reflect the real test. There is a 40 question Signs test and a 40 question Law/Rules test. It said the pass mark was 32.

I took the Signs test 5 times and managed an average of 37 so I was feeling pretty good.

I then took the Rules test... bummer, my first attempt I only managed 22 and after 5 attempts the most I achieved was 31. So now I was feeling bad.
What was throwing me wasn't the rules on actually driving but all the legal questions like "if a 160lb person had 3 alcoholic drinks what would their blood/alcohol level be" or questions about Minors, non-driving related alcoholic offences and license suspension or about cascading fines. WTF!

I was so annoyed I asked my girlfriend (as US citizen from California) to take the test - she also only scored about 23 points.

So - my question is - are these test really indicative of the kinds of questions I will get in the real tests? I am not worried about the signs or the actual driving test just this paralegal junk!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas driving test - written

My husband and I took our Texas driving tests in December last year. Yes, unfortunately, there were most definitely questions relating to non-driving related alcoholic offences and license suspension or about cascading fines!

We did have a little booklet - the Texas Drivers Handbook and that includes all the detail on the 'non driving related' stuff, so you ought to be able to swot op on it before your test.

One thing that caught me out (stupidly!) was that I didn't pay much attention to the section on minors and alcohol (not being under 21!). But of course, the test questions don't care about my age!

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Having read through a few threads here re the Texas driving test (and I concur that driving in this State is more avoidence of others that doing what the road signs tell you) I am still a little confused.

I picked up the DoT book and was initially quite impressed with the detail. Yes, some of the rules are contrary to what we were taught in the UK but some of them made good sense. But it is a huge pdf file, even when printed out.

They don't appear to have any (official) handy little books on how to pass your test like they do in the uk so I went looking on line and found this online test site. It was only about $15 so I thought, what the hell.

The tests, allegedly, are supposed to the reflect the real test. There is a 40 question Signs test and a 40 question Law/Rules test. It said the pass mark was 32.

I took the Signs test 5 times and managed an average of 37 so I was feeling pretty good.

I then took the Rules test... bummer, my first attempt I only managed 22 and after 5 attempts the most I achieved was 31. So now I was feeling bad.
What was throwing me wasn't the rules on actually driving but all the legal questions like "if a 160lb person had 3 alcoholic drinks what would their blood/alcohol level be" or questions about Minors, non-driving related alcoholic offences and license suspension or about cascading fines. WTF!

I was so annoyed I asked my girlfriend (as US citizen from California) to take the test - she also only scored about 23 points.

So - my question is - are these test really indicative of the kinds of questions I will get in the real tests? I am not worried about the signs or the actual driving test just this paralegal junk!
Yes, they really do ask those stupid drug/alcohol questions.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:16 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rebs
My husband and I took our Texas driving tests in December last year. Yes, unfortunately, there were most definitely questions relating to non-driving related alcoholic offences and license suspension or about cascading fines!

We did have a little booklet - the Texas Drivers Handbook and that includes all the detail on the 'non driving related' stuff, so you ought to be able to swot op on it before your test.

One thing that caught me out (stupidly!) was that I didn't pay much attention to the section on minors and alcohol (not being under 21!). But of course, the test questions don't care about my age!

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine!
Rebs - what is this little book you mention? All I found was the official BOOK online - a pdf and it has over 150 pages!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:17 pm
Goooner!

and are there actually two tests, each of 40 questions and a 32 pass mark on each? Are they actually written or computer based?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The book we have is called 'Texas Drivers Handbook'.

It may be the same as the pdf you have - chapter 10 is called 'how alcohol and drugs affect a person's ability to drive' and has all the penalties etc.

It's a computer based test - I think we had in the region of 30 questions and had to get a certain amount right (23 I think). Once you get to 23 correct answers, the test stops.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to the drivers license office and they'll give you the book for free.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

This is it:
Attached Thumbnails Texas driving test - written-txdrivershandbook.jpg  
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
Goooner!

Talking Re: Texas driving test - written

Originally Posted by Leslie66
This is it:
thanks to all - and yes this is the book/pdf I downloaded.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:18 pm
WTF?

If I passed it anybody can. Good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Pay very close attention to the practice questions at the back of the book. My husband said several of them (especially the DUI ones) were repeated verbatim on his test.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
If I passed it anybody can. Good luck.
Damn right ...
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:04 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Damn right ...
You must be tired of living, mate.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:27 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You must be tired of living, mate.
He's been alive far too long if you ask me.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:45 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebs
Crap! I was hoping to avoid that stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.