Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas driving license

Texas driving license

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas driving license

Originally Posted by RickyOtto
I'm looking to get a Texas Driving License and according to the rules on their website have to take the theory test in advance. But I can't see on their website how you book to take the theory test. It says nothing about it.
Anyone know the logistics. Do you have to go to an office in person, and take the theory test and vision test on the same day as the driving test or is it done in advance and if so how is that arranged?
Go to the DMV. If Texas runs a similar setup to most states, as I believe it does, you have to do the theory test before you are allowed to even book the road test. Depending on the area, you could have to wait anything from one to eight or more weeks to take the road test.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:45 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

I passed my driving test last week, having driven here on my UK license for a year. I wasn't actively avoiding taking the "test" (It really is not a test at all) but I just had not had the time to get to the DMV during the week.

I did the Theory test online over a few nights. It is set up so that you sit and watch the online course, they even read it to you. YOu just have to call in every 30 minutes to confirm you are paying attention.

The actual test at the end was ludicrous. Not just because it was so easy, but because any hard questions you gould google the answer. Literally copy the question paste it into google and get the answer. Farse

The practical test took 7 minutes and involved driving around the quietest streets in Rosenberg.

At no point was I asked why it took me so long to get my license.

In fact the only reason I took a day off to do it was because I was stopped for speeding and the cop suggested I do it as the next cop might not be so nice.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave
.... I was stopped for speeding and the cop suggested I do it as the next cop might not be so nice.
You were lucky, so far beyond the (90 day?) period to obtain a local license in Texas. You were also lucky that you weren't involved in a wreck and found to be out of compliance with the license regs, because that could have voided your insurance!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:56 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You were lucky, so far beyond the (90 day?) period to obtain a local license in Texas. You were also lucky that you weren't involved in a wreck and found to be out of compliance with the license regs, because that could have voided your insurance!
I know it wasn't clever or by design and I would not recommend it. I just really struggled to get down there. (no excuse)

The officer was very nice, I was a little over the speed limit and asked me a few questions, ran my UK license and sent me on my way with a "slow down and get your license"
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking to get a Texas Driving License and according to the rules on their website have to take the theory test in advance. But I can't see on their website how you book to take the theory test. It says nothing about it.
Anyone know the logistics. Do you have to go to an office in person, and take the theory test and vision test on the same day as the driving test or is it done in advance and if so how is that arranged?
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Driver...eforeyougo.htm

at these mega centers you can either book an appointment online or if you turn up in the morning about 30 minutes before they open, they will give you a time that day and usually it means in the first hour.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

RickyOtto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the very helpful responses. It actually looks rather more efficient and far less hard work than back home so hoping to get it done this week. Although the easier test may explain just why the Texas drivers are so unbelievably bad.
Ive just checked and the stats show that in 2013 (most recent comparable figures) there were 1,334 road deaths in the UK (excld. pedestrians) and 3,408 in Texas alone. Eek!
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:44 pm

Thank you all for the very helpful responses. It actually looks rather more efficient and far less hard work than back home so hoping to get it done this week. Although the easier test may explain just why the Texas drivers are so unbelievably bad. ...
That, combined with the widespread social acceptance of driving drunk, with limited punishment until you have killed at least one person, and the fact that use of seat belts in the US is far from universal - I believe around 80%.

In fact US car airbags are twice the volume (70 litres v 35 litres) of "eurobags" used in the UK and Europe because of the assumption that the driver and passenger won't be using sestbelts.
... I've just checked and the stats show that in 2013 (most recent comparable figures) there were 1,334 road deaths in the UK (excld. pedestrians) and 3,408 in Texas alone. Eek!
When I came to the US in 2001 there were about 36,000 road deaths/yr, compared to 3,600ish in the UK, so ten times the deaths for five times the population. The last time I checked the US figures had barely budged, but the UK was down to about 1,800. I am not surprised that the UK has dropped further.