Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas driving license

Texas driving license

Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Allfourfeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas driving license

I know there has been numerous topics on getting your driving license in Texas but none seem to answer my questions. We're a bit unusual as for one reason or another, we haven't got round to getting a car yet and have done without. We have been here 5 months. Now it's the time though, as I want to be able to go further afield and I'm dying to take my dogs swimming but I'm not quite sure two soaking wet dogs would go down well with an uber driver!

Anyway, back on point, we've been here 5 months, and as far as I'm aware you have 90 days from the day you arrive to take the test, however we've been unable to do that due to not having our own car. So now I'm unsure how to proceed, we were hoping to get car all sorted in the next couple of weeks but I have no idea whether we'll be ok to drive on our UK licensee for a short time until we can take the tests each, and if we can actually get insurance for ourselves.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas driving license

Well if you haven't driven you haven't committed an offence, .... so far.

Obviously you need to get you TX licenses ASAP, but given the extraordinary (by Texas logic) length of time you have been without a car, you have put yourselves in the position of almost having to break the law a little bit. ..... The problem you face is the interconnectedness of your licence and insurance i.e. without a valid DL your insurance is void, and get into a wreck and you could be in a whole world of hurt!

In short, if you can get insurance on a British licence, which I hear is possible, you should use your car(s) the barest minimum amount until you get your TX licenses, meaning no joy-rides for your dogs, and drive with extreme caution.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:34 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember it making much difference UK or USA license when we first arrived. We got insurance with AIG on our British license and then informed them when we got USA licenses as far as I remember.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Oh, I was really hoping there was a legit way out of out, Im not the kind of person who likes to break rules! But your right, 5 months without a license I feel like we've made broke a record here for that.

A couple of expats I've spoken to say that they have a year to take he license and have insurance blah blah blah and that it's okay as long as we can get insurance, but I suppose they've only been ok as presumably they haven't had an accident or get caught to know any other way? Not sure I fancy being put in that position. I will happily booked theory/test etc within a few days of car just to get used to it.

Out of curiosity, would it make a difference what kind of visa we were on? As in, I presume I'm classed as a visitor being on a b2 and not a resident? So would the same rules still apply? Or is the fact I'm here more than the UK kind of make that redundant. I'm going to attempt to make some calls tomorrow, but I'm apprehensive to maybe admit I won't have a Tx license.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weeze
I don't remember it making much difference UK or USA license when we first arrived. We got insurance with AIG on our British license and then informed them when we got USA licenses as far as I remember.
Oh that's great to know, I'll maybe give AIG a call tomorrow for some quotes anyway, as I was unsure which companies would insure UK licenses anyway. Thank you
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You are supposed to be resident in Texas. Does a B2 visa qualify since it is a visitor visa? you need a social security number to get a Texas drivers license. Do you have one?

I know of a couple of people who couldn't get their drivers licenses within the 90 days because of hold-ups on the social security number application.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You are supposed to be resident in Texas. Does a B2 visa qualify since it is a visitor visa? you need a social security number to get a Texas drivers license. Do you have one?

I know of a couple of people who couldn't get their drivers licenses within the 90 days because of hold-ups on the social security number application.
This is where I'm unsure of whether I'm classed as a resident or a visitor. I can't get a SSN but I can get a TX license according to the Texas department of public safety website. Just says along with all the other documents I would need to take with me I would also need to fill out an affidavit attesting to the knowledge that I can't have a SSN. Or something like that.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:11 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

your immigration status
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ulPresence.pdf
"B1/B2 Visa/BCC with I-94
(Border Crosser Card , DSP-150,
or “laser visa”)
All of the following:
♦ Unexpired foreign passport,
♦ Visa (border crosser card), and
♦ I -94
Note: Applicant must have an I-94 to be eligible because of the time and
distance from the border restrictions for applicants who do not obtain an I-94.
B-1, B-2, C-1, C-3, D-1, and D-2 Unexpired foreign passport or I -94
Note: The applicant may not be able meet residency/domicile requirements.

your residency status
TxDPS - Texas Residency Requirement for Driver Licenses and ID Cards
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Ok, so I have many items off the documents required for proof of residency status. Does that mean I do have to get a TX license? Was kind of hoping for once my B2 might work as an advantage for a change, and let me drive round as a visitor. Looks like we'll have to get insurance/car and just get licenses asap after that point.

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allfourfeet
Ok, so I have many items off the documents required for proof of residency status. Does that mean I do have to get a TX license? Was kind of hoping for once my B2 might work as an advantage for a change, and let me drive round as a visitor. Looks like we'll have to get insurance/car and just get licenses asap after that point.

Thanks
Your B2 visa might muddy the waters enough to take the pressure off you in the short term, but I wouldn't rely on it for any longer than absolutely necessary. ....... That said, if you're on a B2 do you have a SSN?

I am not sure about the rules in Texas but without an SSN some states make it very difficult to get a drivers license, and to comply with Federal regulations derived from the USA PATRIOT Act, all you get if you don't have a SSN is one marked "not valid for identification purposes, or some such. ...... Just out of curiosity, what sort of B2 do you have, and how come you are "settling down" in Texas on a B2? ...... Is it a "cohabiting partner" B2? ...... And if so, what visa is the other member of your household on?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

It is a cohabiting partner B2. Will definitely stick to the original plan then and get the Tx license ASAP. According to the website I can get one without a SSN as long as I can provide the right documents, which I can. My partner is on an E2.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:10 am
Austin. TX.

Should be ok signing the affidavit for the SS number. If you've got all the other documents ready then you should be ok. Certainly the center near me just want to tick the boxes, take your photo and money and send you on your way.

There was a grumpy old so and so when I went to exchange my french license (lucky me..) who didn't realise that I might speak English and told my relocation agent that "they" shouldn't be allowed to just get a license and if he had his way.. Anyway, I wouldn't worry if you've got the paperwork, just get in there and do it.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

TxDPS - SSN

I drove a rental car at first on my UK license and didn't need a SSN to get my US license, I was H4 visa then; later when I moved to Houston I was offered a job so I filled out paperwork with INS who had to approve me to work. I was issued with a card like a SS card before that but it said 'Taxpayer Identification Number' instead and I was to use that to pay tax/ file returns until I was issued with a social security number later- which I think happened once I got permission to work and my status changed.

I never renewed my UK license when it expired since I can hire a car there with my Texas one.

Good luck- I know it all feels a bit daunting at first!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

RickyOtto is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking to get a Texas Driving License and according to the rules on their website have to take the theory test in advance. But I can't see on their website how you book to take the theory test. It says nothing about it.
Anyone know the logistics. Do you have to go to an office in person, and take the theory test and vision test on the same day as the driving test or is it done in advance and if so how is that arranged?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

You will take the theory test when you apply for your learners permit at your local DMV

Once again the type of visa decides which hoops you need to go through to actually apply for the permit

You can book your driving test at the same time, depends on what State as to the waiting time to take the test

Don't worry about either! I took the theory test without any revision and passed

Practiced driving in a rental, borrowed a car to take the test, sorted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.