Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Drivers Licence.

Texas Drivers Licence.

Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:43 am
Just Joined

seb_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Texas Drivers Licence.

Everybody saying "just remember the stuff about teen drinking and penalties etc" is totally right. I took the written test a few weeks ago and it seemed like a third of questions were, "if you are have a DUI how badly are you punished?".
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:14 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered if you will look good with a beard? You may not have one now but by the time you have finished sitting in the DPS office, you may have one. Good luck.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Texas In February this year and brought my UK and International Driving licenses. This was enough to purchase and insure a car for 6 months but was told that after this time they (the insurers) would expect me to have got a Texas driving license even though the International license allows you to drive abroad for up to 1 year. Take I94, if you have not yet got your SSN then take proof of application letter from SSN office, photo ID (passport/UK driving license) - this sufficed for me on an L1A visa.

Test was easy but agree that it is worth the drive to somewhere quieter as you can then do both the written and the practical test the same day (providing you pass the written of course - yes lots of questions on fines and drink driving, the rest were easy). I took mine in the DFW area and had to wait hours to do the written and then make a separate appointment another day to do the practical. Practical very easy, quiet residential roads to show stops, left and right turns, driving centre own area for doing the parallel park (as someone else said indicate when doing this). Didn't take more than 5 minutes!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
I moved to Texas In February this year and brought my UK and International Driving licenses. This was enough to purchase and insure a car for 6 months but was told that after this time they (the insurers) would expect me to have got a Texas driving license
Uh huh, yes, yes. That's what they told me, too. I didn't get around that for almost five years and they never bothered me for it
Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Uh huh, yes, yes. That's what they told me, too. I didn't get around that for almost five years and they never bothered me for it
Did it not affect your insurance cost? I was told that not having a Texas driving license would make my insurance more expensive for the first year or so? I am coming up to my first 6 month renewal for car insurance so guess it should go down a little (hopefully!!)
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Well, that was an undesirable side effect of that.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Well, that was an undesirable side effect of that.
You were also lucky that you weren't involved in an accident as driving without the correct license would likely have made your insurance invalid
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
You were also lucky that you weren't involved in an accident as driving without the correct license would likely have made your insurance invalid
Not to mention that I was wandering about merrily with a long expired I-94.