Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Terrorist Attacks in London

Terrorist Attacks in London

Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist Attacks in London

Blair is giving a conference on BBC America now.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:34 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Virtually everyone in my office has this morning been offering words of sympathy and asking if my friends and relatives are alright, and I really appreciate that.

An observation: I notice that after a quick press conference Blair was straight onto a helicopter to London. Compare that with George Bush's heroic behaviour on 9/11.

Last edited by elfman; Jul 7th 2005 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Virtually everyone in my office has this morning been offering words of sympathy and asking if my friends and relatives are alright, and I really appreciate that.

An observation: I notice that after a quick press conference Blair was straight onto helicopter to London. Compare that with George Bush's heroic behaviour on 9/11.
But there weren't any kids around to read Blair a story............
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:37 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've gone right off CNN lately. Their presenters seem to consider themselves as experts and love spouting their amateur opinions. Too much sensationalist conjecture and not enough coverage of the facts.
What do you mean lately?
I'm trying to play the video off the initial BBC news link but it's buffering and then stops, anyone else having problems?

I don't have BBC America......
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:37 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

My thoughts and prayers for all those caught in this attack and for all citizens and residents of the UK and their families wherever they might be.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:38 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
One of the things that has struck a chord with me in recent times is actually how close the British and Americans are. The shared sense of outrage and grief over 9/11 and, most likely, this from the general public on both sides of the Atlantic is amazing actually. We may react differently at times and, yes, we Brits are known for our reserve, but we appear to me as siblings that, underneath it all, care deeply for each other regardless of surface bickerings and regardless of what our respective leaders do.

You are correct, the biggest difference is the experience of attacks on the homeland. The British have enough that they know the way to get back on track quickly. There is a cultural difference, where Britain expects the government to respond with funds, the American way is to raise money through non-governmental sources.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You are correct, the biggest difference is the experience of attacks on the homeland. The British have enough that they know the way to get back on track quickly. There is a cultural difference, where Britain expects the government to respond with funds, the American way is to raise money through non-governmental sources.
Are you at the nick there, my cousin used to work out of there?
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
What do you mean lately?
I'm trying to play the video off the initial BBC news link but it's buffering and then stops, anyone else having problems?

I could not get Radio 5, OK now.

I think the volume hit them, now that most people are trying to get home the demand has reduced.

I am sure it was only a case of when, but that does not impact on it actually happening.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:46 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Are you at the nick there, my cousin used to work out of there?
Took me a while to figure, but I remember a news item said that they took some terror suspects to the nick at Paddington Green. I lived around there for most of my life before I came to PA in 1966.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
What do you mean lately?

I'm not having trouble with the BBC Live feed. I didn't even realize I could get a live stream until I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread. The picture is awful but there's been no interruptions or buffering. I have a broadband connection - if you have a slower connection that may explain it.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Took me a while to figure, but I remember a news item said that they took some terror suspects to the nick at Paddington Green. I lived around there for most of my life before I came to PA in 1966.
He's reitred now, by coincedence he was on diplomatic protection at the US Embassy!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:49 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Beeb are saying 300 dead and 400+ injured. My local news says 400 dead and a thousand injured.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
Beeb are saying 300 dead and 400+ injured. My local news says 400 dead and a thousand injured.
F**kaduck...
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Really? The numbers on the BBC News Web site are a lot lower.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:52 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not having trouble with the BBC Live feed. I didn't even realize I could get a live stream until I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread. The picture is awful but there's been no interruptions or buffering. I have a broadband connection - if you have a slower connection that may explain it.
I think I've got it I'm waiting for the 6 o'clock news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.