Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Terrorist Attacks in London

Terrorist Attacks in London

Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:07 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist Attacks in London

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
So it comes to this then eh...trying to discuss a point that people don't agree with, and now I am to be silenced and ignored. How ironic.
No I just think that maybe you've picked the wrong time to try and have an arguement about the war in Iraq, our involvement and its consequences.

Personally I'm worried out of my brain about my best friend who lives in North London, debating world politics with you isn't high on my agenda right now.

Its not that people don't want to talk about what you want to debate, maybe they just don't feel like debating it right now.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:08 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I second this and I'm sure there's a huge queue behind me to third, fourth and so on......
Not me, I think it's better to not feed the troll. Can this be the last word on WarriorLife, please?
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I think what has annoyed people is that I have chosen to address a few controversial points in a non-politcally correct matter. I have chosen to discuss some truths and feelings, when all anyone else wants to do is post meaningless tributes which will be on Page 17 of the forums in a few weeks.

I gave you the truth and some frank honest comments, and you have all chosen to refute and ignore them like spoilt children. Fine. Post away - if you feel the need to have a 13 page thread of "I'm so shocked" one liners then go right ahead. Happy reading.

We'll miss you.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

To move away from this developing 'argument',how are the US media portraying events in London and what's the coverage like?
Is it blanket news coverage on the main news channels?
I'd be interested to know,the BBC and ITV over here have been broadcasting continuously since the news first broke.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think what has annoyed people is that I have chosen to address a few controversial points in a non-politcally correct matter. I have chosen to discuss some truths and feelings, when all anyone else wants to do is post meaningless tributes which will be on Page 17 of the forums in a few weeks.

I gave you the truth and some frank honest comments, and you have all chosen to refute and ignore them like spoilt children. Fine. Post away - if you feel the need to have a 13 page thread of "I'm so shocked" one liners then go right ahead. Happy reading.
And who are you to think that's not right? Something serious has happened in London, many people might have friends or family that they are concerned about. Or perhaps they are just feeling sad. Who are you to throw your silly trivial comments in at this time? For christ's sake give it a rest for a few days and then debate it all you want you twit.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm out of here, God Bless you all. Bye.

PS Rete, about that SWBell crack - don't abuse your moderator privilidges by revealing personal information about me. You don't know my life story.
I don't think you are reading through the same thread as the rest of us. If you ignore the posts expressing shock and sympathy (which you seem to be fixated on), and read the posts in between, I think you'll find that several people have expressed opinions.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cupranod
To move away from this developing 'argument',how are the US media portraying events in London and what's the coverage like?
I'd be interested to know,the BBC and ITV over here have been broadcasting continuously since the news first broke.
I was watching CNN this morning and the live stream from the BBC.

CNN was pretty much their presenters commenting on the live video and talking about the implications for the US transport system.

EDIT: I don't want people to think the presenters weren't sympathetic, they were also saying the victims families were in their thoughts and prayers.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:13 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

It's blanket coverage on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News. BBC America also have continuous coverage, instead of the usual garbage that they show.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:14 pm
ImHere

CNN had it on almost continuous for several hours.
At the moment I have one eye on the weather news too, since I seem to be in line for a cat 3 or 4 hurricane right up the jacksy in a couple of days. *sigh*

Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

CNN was pretty much their presenters commenting on the live video and talking about the implications for the US transport system.
I've gone right off CNN lately. Their presenters seem to consider themselves as experts and love spouting their amateur opinions. Too much sensationalist conjecture and not enough coverage of the facts.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think what has annoyed people is that I have chosen to address a few controversial points in a non-politcally correct matter.
when I did that you told me to shut up.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

EDIT: I don't want people to think the presenters weren't sympathetic, they were also saying the victims families were in their thoughts and prayers.
Thanks for replying,I'm just interested to know.Obviously journalistically they'll give a take on how it relates to you all over there much the same as British journos did when 9/11 occurred.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:19 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
We'll miss you.
Did he throw his dummy out of this thread as well vern?
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:27 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Rete
And that is what the average everyday New Yorker, such as myself and colleagues, did after September 11th. How dare you place your country above any country's citizens who have dealt with the needless death and horror of terrorist attacks.

The attack today in London is no less nor more horrific than the occurrences on US soil on September 11th. While the loss of life in the US far outnumbers the loss of life in the UK in today's attack, the average American "joe" is just as compassionate and heartsick of what has happened in London this morning as Brits were when we were attacked.

If a public concert were needed to financially aid your country and countrymen to return their transportation system to operation quickly or to aid in the medical care of those hundreds of human beings injuried today or funds to help families who lost parent[s] through today's tragedy, our artists will come to your aid just as your artists came to ours.

Perhaps it is time to open your emotions to express your compassion rather than your mouth to voice your mistaken sense of superority

One of the things that has struck a chord with me in recent times is actually how close the British and Americans are. The shared sense of outrage and grief over 9/11 and, most likely, this from the general public on both sides of the Atlantic is amazing actually. We may react differently at times and, yes, we Brits are known for our reserve, but we appear to me as siblings that, underneath it all, care deeply for each other regardless of surface bickerings and regardless of what our respective leaders do.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ImHere
One of the things that has struck a chord with me in recent times is actually how close the British and Americans are. The shared sense of outrage and grief over 9/11 and, most likely, this from the general public on both sides of the Atlantic is amazing actually. We may react differently at times and, yes, we Brits are known for our reserve, but we appear to me as siblings that, underneath it all, care deeply for each other regardless of surface bickerings and regardless of what our respective leaders do.
You are really hitting the nail on the head today I'mHere! That's a very apt analogy - siblings. Britain being the older brother/sister and the US being the adolescent sibling - surface fights and disagreements cover a deep and abiding affection...no matter what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.