Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary work in the USA?

Temporary work in the USA?

Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:01 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work in the USA?

Originally Posted by N1cky
I do agree with what you are saying. It's just at the moment I know 2 individuals in different relationships who are seriously unhappy following 20+ years together. They had 15 good years, and now both are heading for a messy divorce, but I'm sure they don't regret those first 15 years.

I moved in with my hubby within 1 week of starting to date him, 16 years later we are still going strong. There are lots of other people on here who have jumped in feet first and its worked out.

I'm just in one of those moods at the moment where life is for living, not daudling around to see what might happen 2 years down the line.
I honestly think my best decisions in life have been my impulsive ones! Sometimes you just have to take that risk and go for it. Playing it safe, so-to-speak may not end happily either.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
simples

get married be together.

it either works or it doesn't
no harm no foul either way.

it's what the marriage, K1 visas are for.
That or just get married and do the CR1 marriage visa option after...either way, it'll be a few months apart, but jobs done with that route, rather than having to faff around to AOS afterwards and spend more money. They're both taking similar amounts of time lately.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Lymon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Visa's can be hard to get but I was able to secure a H1-b visa with a bachelors degree and no work experience so it can be done. if you have a degree then you would need to find a company that is willing to sponsor your visa. Your degree will need to be related to the position along with your work experience. I agree with others that you probably will be best visiting first before jumping into anything so quickly.
Hi Could you please let me know how you secured an H1-b visa? I am trying to obtain sponsorship and I am finding it virtually impossible. I have the equivalent to a bachelors degree and I am a lawyer with over 10 years experience. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So whatever happened to Becci? I hate reading a thread and then you don't know how it all came out!
Old May 21st 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lymon
Hi Could you please let me know how you secured an H1-b visa? I am trying to obtain sponsorship and I am finding it virtually impossible. I have the equivalent to a bachelors degree and I am a lawyer with over 10 years experience. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I guess the first question is - do you know anything about US law and have you passed the bar exam(s) for the relevant states?

It's not like we have a shortage of lawyers over here either so I'm not massively surprised that you have a problem finding a sponsor.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi No I am trained in English law. In my many applications I have offered to begin at entry level and fund my own training in US law and put myself through the bar exams in an effort attract at least some interest.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Hi No I am trained in English law. In my many applications I have offered to begin at entry level and fund my own training in US law and put myself through the bar exams in an effort attract at least some interest.
Why do you want to work in the States? Lawyers are a dime a dozen. You will have to start all over again.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Unless you can bring something to the table that they can't get from anybody else, there is no incentive to sponsor a visa.

BTW, do you have any idea how much the "training in US law" is going to cost you?
Old May 21st 2013, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

I really don't mind starting over. I like a challenge! I imagine retraining would be very expensive and I hoped funding this would be something to attract an employer.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't mind starting over. I like a challenge! I imagine retraining would be very expensive and I hoped funding this would be something to attract an employer.
The problem with that idea is that there is a pool of already trained lawyers looking for jobs. Why would they hire someone who is both untrained in US law and hasn't passed the bar of the relevant state? That makes no sense. You would be better off exploring the possibility of a firm with an international practice looking for someone versed in UK law.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

I can see what you mean. My thinking behind it was that I would be saving the cost of training an entry level lawyer. I'm not sure how it works in the US but in the UK a lot of employers fund the training which can cost thousands of pounds. Your idea of checking out international firms looking for a lawyer trained in UK law if a good one though! I will look into that. Thanks!
Old May 21st 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Why are you attracted to American law and what kind of law do you practice at present? Unless you have an American love interest this does not seem realistic at your age,,
Old May 21st 2013, 3:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My thinking behind it was that I would be saving the cost of training an entry level lawyer. I'm not sure how it works in the US but in the UK a lot of employers fund the training which can cost thousands of pounds.
Newly hired lawyers are ready to hit the ground running -- many have interned at the firms that have hired them (or others) during summer breaks since they were undergrads.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

I practice Civil Litigation. I do have personal reasons for wishing to relocate to the US. You are never too old for a change

Thanks for the tip Nutmegger.
Old May 21st 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

A US law degree usually runs at $150-$200k. Yes, I'd say that might be a bit expensive...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.