Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary work possibilities in US without visa?

Temporary work possibilities in US without visa?

Old May 21st 2006, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Comedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary work possibilities in US without visa?

Hi,

I moved over here a few weeks ago on an L1 visa with both my girlfriend and our daughter. Our visa lawyer in the UK told me that as we are not married her options are to either take a B visa when we come over or come over on a visa waiver and look for someone willing to sponsor an H visa... as we're back in the UK within 3 months we went for the second. I've had a read through the eligibilities for each visa and I can't think of any industry she would be able to get an H1 visa for (her work history in the UK is purely retail and there's not really a short supply of retail workers in the US), so that leaves an H2 visa, which due to the requirements employers tend not to issue.. We've looked around at places and on websites but haven't been able to find anything promising.

Anyway, my question is really has anyone else been in this situation and are there any good ways to get temporary work if you're already in the country?

Please, I know about the whole marriage thing and that's an option but not going to happen immediately so I don't need reminding

Thanks!
Old May 21st 2006, 10:38 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work possibilities in US without visa?

Originally Posted by Comedy
Anyway, my question is really has anyone else been in this situation and are there any good ways to get temporary work if you're already in the country?
Not legally, no.
Old May 21st 2006, 11:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at this sticky post? This summarizes the legal ways to live and work in the US.

I suppose your girlfriend and daughter are currently visiting the US on visa waivers. They can only stay up to the date stamped on their I-94s.

Based on your post, I cannot see a legal means for your girlfriend to continue to stay in the US.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

NC Penguin
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you looked at this sticky post? This summarizes the legal ways to live and work in the US.

I suppose your girlfriend and daughter are currently visiting the US on visa waivers. They can only stay up to the date stamped on their I-94s.

Based on your post, I cannot see a legal means for your girlfriend to continue to stay in the US.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

NC Penguin
In the OP's previous post he states he has a L1 visa with a waiver for a previous drug conviction.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In the OP's previous post he states he has a L1 visa with a waiver for a previous drug conviction.
Yes, I'm on an L1, my daughter is on an L2, my girlfriend is on a visa waiver
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:10 am
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I moved over here a few weeks ago on an L1 visa with both my girlfriend and our daughter. Our visa lawyer in the UK told me that as we are not married her options are to either take a B visa when we come over or come over on a visa waiver and look for someone willing to sponsor an H visa... as we're back in the UK within 3 months we went for the second. I've had a read through the eligibilities for each visa and I can't think of any industry she would be able to get an H1 visa for (her work history in the UK is purely retail and there's not really a short supply of retail workers in the US), so that leaves an H2 visa, which due to the requirements employers tend not to issue.. We've looked around at places and on websites but haven't been able to find anything promising.

Please, I know about the whole marriage thing and that's an option but not going to happen immediately so I don't need reminding

Thanks!
I am in a similar situation to your girlfriend (without the kid!). I am on a B2 visa, and my partner is on an L1. On my Visa there is an annotation stating that I am accompanying my partner on L1.

On a B2, you are not allowed to work legally. In reality there are plenty of cash in hand jobs around, but I have chosen not to follow this path. It seems too risky!

In order to get your girlfriend a B2, you will have to provide proof of legitimate ties to the UK....property, family, job etc...

Hope this helps a bit! PM me if you need any more info!
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hayley82
I am in a similar situation to your girlfriend (without the kid!). I am on a B2 visa, and my partner is on an L1. On my Visa there is an annotation stating that I am accompanying my partner on L1.

On a B2, you are not allowed to work legally. In reality there are plenty of cash in hand jobs around, but I have chosen not to follow this path. It seems too risky!

In order to get your girlfriend a B2, you will have to provide proof of legitimate ties to the UK....property, family, job etc...

Hope this helps a bit! PM me if you need any more info!
Thanks! that's just the kind of news i was after although it's not a working visa it's better than a visa waiver each 3 months
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:23 am
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks! that's just the kind of news i was after although it's not a working visa it's better than a visa waiver each 3 months
Glad to help! I do have to go home every 6 months though... which is quite nice to be honest!
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The obvious solution is to marry her.