Driving license when?

Driving license when?

Old May 13th 2006, 9:04 pm
Kesman

Default Driving license when?

I am planning to come over here on a K1 visa the application is about
to be posted soon. I would like to know at what stage would it be
possible to sit my driving license in the US. I am an english citizen,
and completing my license in the states would save me alot of money.

Thanks for any feedback

Old May 13th 2006, 9:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license when?

Originally Posted by Kesman

Thanks for any feedback

50 states, 50 answers!
Old May 13th 2006, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends which state you move to...each state has different rules, if you have a foreign license, some require you to get a license in 10 days, some 12 months, though majority would be between 30-90 days.

Generally though, getting a license in the US is very easy, and if you were taking lessons in the UK, I'd save the money and just drive blind here on the test, you'd have to be an ape to fail it in all honesty.
Old May 13th 2006, 11:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kesman,

All good advice above. You can probably take the written and road test right away by showing your K-1 visa. You may or may not need your SSN for that. Also, be aware that you will probably only get issued a license for the life of your status here, which means you'll first get a license which expires when your K-1 does. You'll have to go get a renewal (not retake the tests, just get a new license) once you have your EAD in hand, which will be good for 1 year. Next you'll have to get one when you either have to get a 2nd EAD or else your green card (whichever comes first), which will be valid until THAT expires. You get the picture. It will mean a trip to DMV each time to present your current documents. Speaking for Arizona, here....but probably other states are like this, too.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 13th 2006, 11:53 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Thanks for any feedback
impossible to answer without 1 bit of information, which state you moving too?
Old May 14th 2006, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

All good advice above. You can probably take the written and road test right away by showing your K-1 visa. You may or may not need your SSN for that. Also, be aware that you will probably only get issued a license for the life of your status here, which means you'll first get a license which expires when your K-1 does. You'll have to go get a renewal (not retake the tests, just get a new license) once you have your EAD in hand, which will be good for 1 year. Next you'll have to get one when you either have to get a 2nd EAD or else your green card (whichever comes first), which will be valid until THAT expires. You get the picture. It will mean a trip to DMV each time to present your current documents. Speaking for Arizona, here....
that's definitely a state by state thing, so yeah, without knowing which state, no one can answer the OP, because in ME, you get a license for 6 years regardless of status, just need to prove residency of the state, so a bill or something with address and a SSN.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:04 pm
Kesman

Sorry for my initial flaw, the state I will be moving to is Ohio

Thank you for the good quality replies so far!

Old May 14th 2006, 6:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for my initial flaw, the state I will be moving to is Ohio

Thank you for the good quality replies so far!
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/dl_info.htm
Old May 14th 2006, 10:10 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Great link, one thing it dosn't say though is how long he can drive on his forign licence before he has to get the OH licence, E.g. when I came over, MD DMV said that new residents had to obtain a MD licence within 60 days, yet when I called MD state cops they said that applies to USC's and PR's and that I could drive on the licence for up to 12 months before had to do the US test etc....

I'll try and do some digging and see if I can find that awnser
Old May 14th 2006, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
Great link, one thing it dosn't say though is how long he can drive on his forign licence before he has to get the OH licence, E.g. when I came over, MD DMV said that new residents had to obtain a MD licence within 60 days, yet when I called MD state cops they said that applies to USC's and PR's and that I could drive on the licence for up to 12 months before had to do the US test etc....

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/nonrenewlic.htm from via the faq to the site...
Old May 14th 2006, 11:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Here in NYS that state police would be wrong. The NYS DMV considers you a resident once you have set up a domicile here. Thus when you entered the US on a K-1 and married you have set up home here. Therefore you are not a visitor but a resident of the state and must have a valid NYS license with the prescribed amount of time listed on the DMV website.

Old May 20th 2006, 9:47 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Ohio and had the same 'issue', couldn't find a definitive answer (I was told 12 months max) so I drove for about 5 months on the UK license (got insurance for my wifes car using the UK license too). Waited for the better weather and took the test (its easy). Insurance has come plummeting downwards too , now we have Ohio licenses............
Old May 20th 2006, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

britxp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul S
I'm in Ohio and had the same 'issue', couldn't find a definitive answer (I was told 12 months max) so I drove for about 5 months on the UK license (got insurance for my wifes car using the UK license too). Waited for the better weather and took the test (its easy). Insurance has come plummeting downwards too , now we have Ohio licenses............
This sounds right - same as MA. Start date is when you become a resident (ie when you get your Green Card) then you need a MA license after 12 months from that date.
Old May 21st 2006, 2:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britxp
This sounds right - same as MA. Start date is when you become a resident (ie when you get your Green Card) then you need a MA license after 12 months from that date.

Not true. You are considered a resident the moment you enter the US on a K-1 or an approved Spousal Visa. You must according to the DMV get your license for state within 60/90 days (depending on the state) within that timeframe.

For the foreign inquirers, the state police are not the only police who can issue you tickets for driving without a state license. The local police of any city, town or any of the county mounties can also do so. So to base your beliefs on the word of one law enforcement agency against the regulations of the state's DMV is not a wise decision.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:47 am
Pain in the Butt

Originally Posted by Rete
Not true. You are considered a resident the moment you enter the US on a K-1 or an approved Spousal Visa. You must according to the DMV get your license for state within 60/90 days (depending on the state) within that timeframe.

For the foreign inquirers, the state police are not the only police who can issue you tickets for driving without a state license. The local police of any city, town or any of the county mounties can also do so. So to base your beliefs on the word of one law enforcement agency against the regulations of the state's DMV is not a wise decision.
Sorry don't agree, whilst I'd agree that it pays to air on the side of caution, when I did my checking around when I came over, first of all I got about 5 different answers from DMV, then I got 3 different answers from the local city and then when I spoke to the state cops I was told 12 months. I double checked it with their supervisor and their superviosor again as I explained to them that I needed to make sure saue of the run around that I had so far. Once I had that I went back and retraced my steps and confirmed it with both the city cops (ended up speaking to the chief as a friend knew him and up to that point city was still giving me the run aroud with different answers) and then DMV.

I ended up driving for about 15 months on the UK licence partly cause I was so nervous about taking the test (god knows why cause it was sooooo easy lol, and got pulled over once, handed over my UK licence and he never battered an eyelid. To be honest I think it probably helped as I'm not sure that he knew how to process it (I was speeding.. just alittle bit... honest your honor!)

Do I advocate waiting that long, NO, but when it comes to driving, state laws override county and city laws, the laws are set for the state by the state, not the town. (driving laws that is).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.