Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 5:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
No there REALLY is. The KKK could never have existed in England, nor Westboro Baptist Church, yet they are legal organisations in the United States.
I did say it was anecdotal ...

Furthermore, I consider this to be a good thing, with respect to the UK.

Did you see Robbie Fowler have to apologise last week for saying Torres fighting another playing was like 'girls fighting'? That's the level of nanny state England has now become.
He should have never had to apologise - Torres was fighting like a girl. That's because he is one. Fowler was spot on with that one ...

Not sure what state you live in, but what state law would he arrest you under for doing so out of interest?

In the UK this is easy; it's a Section 5 Public Order Act offense.
It wouldn't have to be a state law if it wasn't a state trooper. Any city cop could arrest you for breach of the peace if he felt like it.

That was tongue in cheek, but I still wouldn't try it, just in case.
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
This just doesn't come across as much of a "positive" to me.
That's irrelevant to the point I am making though. A poster stated there's no difference between Freedom of Speech in the UK compared to the USA. I'm demonstrating there are clear differences.

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What exactly do you miss about the British class system?
Monocles.

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What exactly do you miss about the British class system?
And how is it functionally different from the brutal "trailer v non-trailer" caste system in the US?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It wouldn't have to be a state law if it wasn't a state trooper. Any city cop could arrest you for breach of the peace if he felt like it.
City cops are still governed by state laws, which again are ALWAYS sub-servant to Federal law. So, again, what law would be used? I'm sorry for pushing this, but I feel I have to to make the point explicit: freedom of speech protections in the United States allow you to make comments like that to police officers, regardless of whether they arrest you for it or not, Federal Constitution protections would ultimately protect you from conviction.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Monocles.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
He should have never had to apologise - Torres was fighting like a girl. That's because he is one. Fowler was spot on with that one ...
Of course he was! 100% spot on, as you say! Yet, he's still forced to apologise. That's my point: England has become a state where the right to offend is now subservant to the right to NOT be offended.

Causing 'offence' was recently a criminal offence in England and Wales, did you know that?

The complete reverse is in place in America.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Federal Constitution protections would ultimately protect you from conviction.
So that's why nobody is ever wrongfully convicted in the US.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So that's why nobody is ever wrongfully convicted in the US.
I'm not arguing that what I state works every time, I'm just saying that that's the theory. You couldn't attempt to argue that theory in England & Wales, and that's the concern.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And how is it functionally different from the brutal "trailer v non-trailer" caste system in the US?
There's just a have and a have not system here, as far as I can make out. The UK system, as we're both aware, is inherently different.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what state you live in, but what state law would he arrest you under for doing so out of interest?

In the UK this is easy; it's a Section 5 Public Order Act offense.
Still get a ticket for blasphemy in Boston, so it's not all free speech and roses :/
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

City cops are still governed by state laws, which again are ALWAYS sub-servant to Federal law. So, again, what law would be used? I'm sorry for pushing this, but I feel I have to to make the point explicit: freedom of speech protections in the United States allow you to make comments like that to police officers, regardless of whether they arrest you for it or not, Federal Constitution protections would ultimately protect you from conviction.
Ah, now you said 'conviction' but the cop can still arrest you for it, even if you are released without charge later on. That was my point.

Furthermore, look up the definition of 'anecdotal' with respect to my other post.

The complete reverse is in place in America.
Only partially correct. You can offend blacks, gays and women as much as you like here in the US, but the god botherers are untouchable.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Still get a ticket for blasphemy in Boston, so it's not all free speech and roses :/
Surely not, Bob? That's absolutely going to be protected under the 1st Amendment.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not arguing that what I state works every time, I'm just saying that that's the theory. You couldn't attempt to argue that theory in England & Wales, and that's the concern.
Exactly.
"I'm just saying that that's the theory."
That is the weakness with all your posts over the last three pages of this thread. In practice, my anecdotal experience is that the UK is a much freer country than the US.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
Exactly.
"I'm just saying that that's the theory."
That is the weakness with all your posts over the last three pages of this thread. In practice, my anecdotal experience is that the UK is a much freer country than the US.
My experience is different, and even then regardless of our personal experiences, it's case law that we should be guided by. In that respect, the USA is fundamentally different to the UK with regards to freedom of speech. Which brings us nicely back to the original point made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.