Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tell me good things about you location !!!

Tell me good things about you location !!!

Old May 8th 2006, 11:59 am
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future
Default Tell me good things about you location !!!

I read a lot of bitchin about certain places over there like FL being too muggy and full of old biddies or Cali being "querky" and sure if i looked harder I would find more bitchin about other places !!!

Tell me some good things about where you live or give me a suggestion where a 30 something brit should relocate to in the States - near the coast, not too hot, definately no snow.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:10 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me good things about you location !!!

Originally Posted by greggx101
I read a lot of bitchin about certain places over there like FL being too muggy and full of old biddies or Cali being "querky" and sure if i looked harder I would find more bitchin about other places !!!

Tell me some good things about where you live or give me a suggestion where a 30 something brit should relocate to in the States - near the coast, not too hot, definately no snow.
I'd be happy to tell you all kinds of good things about Texas... but first, why don't you reassure me that you actually have a way to emigrate to the US, just to save me wasting my time?

Are you married to a US Citizen, or are you planning to be? If not, do you know what visa you'll be apply for to come over here and work?

EDIT: I found your other post, and see that you're about to marry a USC. Congratulations.

Texas isn't near the coast except for the Gulf Coast, and is very hot (even more so the closer you are to the Gulf), so I'll skip telling you all the good stuff about it, because it doesn't fit your requirements!

Last edited by dbj1000; May 8th 2006 at 12:12 pm.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:14 pm
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'd be happy to tell you all kinds of good things about Texas... but first, why don't you reassure me that you actually have a way to emigrate to the US, just to save me wasting my time?

Are you married to a US Citizen, or are you planning to be? If not, do you know what visa you'll be apply for to come over here and work?

Marrying a yank in October in Wilkes Barre, PA - shes from the Pocono mountains but i dont think i could stand the cold up there !!

Thanks..
Old May 8th 2006, 12:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Marrying a yank in October in Wilkes Barre, PA - shes from the Pocono mountains but i dont think i could stand the cold up there !!

Thanks..
Sounds like you need a good temperate climate, without extremes of heat or cold. Lush vegitation, mild winters, warm summers but not blazing hot or swampy-humid...

...f***-me, if that doesn't sound just like England
Old May 8th 2006, 12:24 pm
Arrogant ****

More seriously, I've lived about 1/3 of my life in Southern California, and I think that climate-wise it's just wonderful.

Unfortunately, so do many other people, and they're all richer than me. As a result, property prices are insane, the price of living is astronomical, and 99.9% of your neighbours would be drug dealers (OK, so that last part's an exaggeration).

The advantage of not living in a beautiful climate, close to the ocean is that the price of living somewhere like Dallas or Plano is a tiny fraction of what it is in SoCal, houses are big and cheap, wages are still high compared to the lower cost of living, and you really get used to 110+deg summer heat surprisingly quickly

One downside is that I have yoghurt in my fridge with more culture.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry nothing good to report here, close to the coast but def too hot and humid to enjoy.....houston is one big ugly metropolis...one day i'm convinced it will grind to a halt due to the volume of traffic and hopefully i'll be long gone
Old May 8th 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I'm on the coast in Virginia Beach, a souless suburban sprall with a lovely beach at the end of it, very hot and super humid in the summer: autumn and winter are best. The weather on the east coast tends towards the humid, which means you spend a lot of time sitting in the airconditioning. I would head for the west coast, I've heard Oregon is very nice. All the best with your decisions.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

We live in San Antonio - love it people are lovely cost of living is cheap - that includes houses. Property taxes in the city limit are a bit steep but in all a good place to live.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sorry nothing good to report here, close to the coast but def too hot and humid to enjoy.....houston is one big ugly metropolis...one day i'm convinced it will grind to a halt due to the volume of traffic and hopefully i'll be long gone
Am off to UK today so will have some white choccy for you !!!
Old May 8th 2006, 12:55 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks..
What about the OH?

Maybe she wants to stay in the northeast
Old May 8th 2006, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lolly
Am off to UK today so will have some white choccy for you !!!

safe trip lolly...a friend mailed me some white maltesers last week...hmmm still munching my way through them....have a fun trip back to good old blighty
Old May 8th 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
safe trip lolly...a friend mailed me some white maltesers last week...hmmm still munching my way through them....have a fun trip back to good old blighty
They sound nice, will wave to you when I fly over Houston.
Old May 8th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle - if you can afford it.
Old May 8th 2006, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

One downside is that I have yoghurt in my fridge with more culture.
Old May 8th 2006, 2:17 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

They have good pizza places. That's pretty much all i can think of right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.