Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

NoodleNoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

Originally Posted by Weeze
Hello. We moved on an L1. You need to have worked for the company for over a year and the company needs to show why you are so essential that an American can't do the job. It took a lot of paperwork for the company and they do it fairly frequently. Also, it is very costly for them. Has your husbands company moved people on a blanket L1 before or is it more a long term aim to find a company who does them and to work for them for a while?
Thanks Weeze
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

For an L1 you are putting your eggs in one basket yes as it'll either need to be his existing company or he'll need to join a new company for at least a year and excel enough for them to transfer him.
Just weighing up our options and that's option no.1
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

For an L1 you are putting your eggs in one basket yes as it'll either need to be his existing company or he'll need to join a new company for at least a year and excel enough for them to transfer him.
Could get an H1B from the other companies though, if they're prepared to go through the hassle/cost of it and wait for him - although that would also mean the OP couldn't work, and I don't know if that would be a problem?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoodleNoo
Well, BT Americas is the first port of call, obviously and then AT&T, MCI etc would be looked into, can't put your eggs all in one basket can you?
With most non-immigrant visas, you'll have to place all your eggs in one basket whether you want to or not.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Could get an H1B from the other companies though, if they're prepared to go through the hassle/cost of it and wait for him - although that would also mean the OP couldn't work, and I don't know if that would be a problem?
Your eggs are still in one basket with an H1b, as we've seen clearly with unfortunate members during this recession.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies everyone
Will let you know how things go....but would still appreciate any further snippets of telecom engineer experiences

PS: Hubby now extremely depressed cos you think he's in his 50's
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Will let you know how things go....but would still appreciate any further snippets of telecom engineer experiences

You may need to take into consideration the ages of your children as well, depending on which visa your prospective employer applies of, how long you plan on staying, if your employer will file for Green Cards for you all.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tell him not to stress...he soon will be.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think that's a reasonable supposition when you said he had worked as a telecom engineer for "over thirty years"? Did he graduate at 13?!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

I really was a telecom engineer in the UK for over 30 years! Started with BT in 1978 (never reached the dizzy heights of TO though) and moved on through Alcatel, Cable and Wireless and finally Philips before moving to South Carolina in 2010. I got here by virtue of being married to a US citizen. I honestly don't think there would have been any route here via my work experience.

I found that telecom jobs were very few and far between (certainly where we live) but there were lots of openings for cable TV people, some of them with AT&T. I looked at those, but didn't fancy climbing on roofs or crawling through floor spaces! Luckily, I had experience from working with voice mail servers and other PC based stuff, so I did a couple of certifications that most employers seemed to be asking for and moved sideways into IT and desktop support.

I'll have been in my job for a year next month, but I spent the whole first year looking for one! It's even more difficult, in fact nigh on impossible if you're not local already.

I hope I haven't spoiled the dream! Best of luck with it.......
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
I'll have been in my job for a year next month, but I spent the whole first year looking for one! It's even more difficult, in fact nigh on impossible if you're not local already.
Looking for jobs in any field is pretty difficult these days given the competition from the amount of unemployed people currenty out there. These are unemployed American citizens who don't need a visa sponsorship et cetera.

There's nothing wrong with being realistic and it isn't anyone's intention to piss on anyone else's parade but the reality is that it is an employer's market in the USA at the moment. There are plenty of jobs in my area (accounting/clerical) but the competition is nuts. My wife and I both applied for the same position in a local firm - well over four hundred resumes were submitted for that one job alone

Best of luck to you, OP but do try to stay realistic. As has been suggested, if the US doesn't work out, Canada is always an option. Canada's a nice place, too.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve_I
I really was a telecom engineer in the UK for over 30 years! Started with BT in 1978 (never reached the dizzy heights of TO though) and moved on through Alcatel, Cable and Wireless and finally Philips before moving to South Carolina in 2010. I got here by virtue of being married to a US citizen. I honestly don't think there would have been any route here via my work experience.

I found that telecom jobs were very few and far between (certainly where we live) but there were lots of openings for cable TV people, some of them with AT&T. I looked at those, but didn't fancy climbing on roofs or crawling through floor spaces! Luckily, I had experience from working with voice mail servers and other PC based stuff, so I did a couple of certifications that most employers seemed to be asking for and moved sideways into IT and desktop support.

I hope I haven't spoiled the dream! Best of luck with it.......
Hubby started with BT in September 1980 aged 16...thanks for telling me your experience...must admit my spirits are a tad dampened, but willing to still try and see where things lead for us and if not at least we tried
Have friends who emigrated to Canada 6 years ago and they love it there
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby started with BT in September 1980 aged 16...thanks for telling me your experience...must admit my spirits are a tad dampened, but willing to still try and see where things lead for us and if not at least we tried
Although there's no degree requirement for an L1, lack of a degree may well be an obstacle in convincing the US side of a transfer to consider someone ahead of local candidates.

And personally, I would not emigrate to the US at your age. It's just too problematic from a health insurance and retirement planning point of view.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying to my post
My husband works for BT (British Telecom). We've checked out the BT Americas website, but confused over comparing USA role positions to UK ones. Was your husband in a managerial position at BT in the UK?
Hubby is classed as a Technical Officer at the top level, has been offered managerial roles previously but not taken them due to BT's idea of making managers work their tails off for a pittance and no benefit....probably sounds familiar to your hubby
Would very appreciate any thoughts / ideas from your husband as to suggestions now about how he would go about things?
Exactly why my husband didn't become a manager.

I've sent you a pm....
Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Although there's no degree requirement for an L1, lack of a degree may well be an obstacle in convincing the US side of a transfer to consider someone ahead of local candidates.

And personally, I would not emigrate to the US at your age. It's just too problematic from a health insurance and retirement planning point of view.
I came here on an L1 18 months ago, with Mrs HTS on an L2. I am very fortunate to work for a very progressive employer where benefits are concerned - I got 15 days vacation because of having a ton of relevant experience - I worked for my employer in the UK for 2.5 yrs before the move. Know that there is no statutory right to paid vacation in the US...

My employer's health insurance cover is excellent - about as good as it gets if you aren't a member of Congress etc... and for us at our age (mid 40s) I can't see how we will be able to afford to retire here because of medical costs - and we're both pretty healthy.

Whilst a degree is not an official requirement, given that in the current tough market you need a degree to flip burgers, AND the typical degree in the US is not the same as in the UK, it will be a squeeze...

BUT... persevere - you may not find a directly obvious route, and it may take 2-3 years... AND 99% of people here will have plenty of realistic advice for you, though given the sense of humour most of us seem to have, it can seem a tad harsh.

So maybe you come out for the experience of living somewhere different? May be you end up in Canada instead - could be a lot worse.

For me to end up here I reinvented myself in career terms, no specific aim of ending up here in the US, it just worked out that in reinventing myself, I seemed to do a bang up job of sorting out some particular issues at the Vice President level, and that was me 'sorted' as it were. My company brings in about 30 people a year on L1s and H1Bs and as it does over $25M a year revenue and employs over 1000 people in the US, it has an 'easier' time with the process - something to bear in mind if you decide to move to a different company first...

Good luck!

Harry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.