Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

NoodleNoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

My husband has worked as a Telecom Engineer for over 30 years.
Please can you give me some advice on whether there is a demand for his line of work in the USA and whether anyone know's of a British Telecom Engineer who has successfully transferred to the USA in this line of work?
Thanks x
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telecom Engineer jobs in USA?

I can't answer directly through experience, but there could be a demand for experienced telecomms people in the cable industry with the increase in VOIP offerings.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, a telecom engineer or a repair tech? Might sound silly, but we do get all sorts asking.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That sums up the visa situation, so niche skills is best and I wouldn't know what those would be...then look for cities that are rolling out the most broadband and wifi facilities would be the best bet for looking for best job market areas....
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my husband worked for BT. He didn't transfer over to a job, but we moved with our nest egg and he applied for several jobs over a long period of time. It was a very nail biting time!! He eventually got a job through a temporary agency which led him to permanent employment with AT&T. He's now in a new position with a new company and is doing well. But this is not for the fainthearted! I shudder to think what would have happened if he hadn't got lucky with getting the temp job....

I should add that he was initially a network engineer, so he wasn't a repair technician.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, my husband worked for BT. He didn't transfer over to a job, but we moved with our nest egg and he applied for several jobs over a long period of time. It was a very nail biting time!! He eventually got a job through a temporary agency which led him to permanent employment with AT&T. He's now in a new position with a new company and is doing well. But this is not for the fainthearted! I shudder to think what would have happened if he hadn't got lucky with getting the temp job....

I should add that he was initially a network engineer, so he wasn't a repair technician.
Thanks for replying to my post
My husband works for BT (British Telecom). We've checked out the BT Americas website, but confused over comparing USA role positions to UK ones. Was your husband in a managerial position at BT in the UK?
Hubby is classed as a Technical Officer at the top level, has been offered managerial roles previously but not taken them due to BT's idea of making managers work their tails off for a pittance and no benefit....probably sounds familiar to your hubby
Would very appreciate any thoughts / ideas from your husband as to suggestions now about how he would go about things?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Just to clarify, a telecom engineer or a repair tech? Might sound silly, but we do get all sorts asking.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That sums up the visa situation, so niche skills is best and I wouldn't know what those would be...then look for cities that are rolling out the most broadband and wifi facilities would be the best bet for looking for best job market areas....
Thanks Bob Will get hubby to further define his role, but he works in fibre optics, planning where to lay telephone cables - that's what I know off the top of my head
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I can't answer directly through experience, but there could be a demand for experienced telecomms people in the cable industry with the increase in VOIP offerings.
Thanks! its worthwhile looking into
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at your Welcome thread as well as this one, you seem to be side-stepping the visa issue. The shortage or abundance of job vacancies is moot until you've tackled the visa issue.

As a nurse with a degree, you may have a vague stab at H1b after collecting the prerequisites for a license. The spousal H4 does not allow work.

As a telecom engineer, hubby has an even vaguer stab at H1b provided he has the degree or requisite experience at degree level. An L1 transfer by BT would be nicer as this would allow the spouse to work.

All in all, however, I wouldn't throw a single buck on the roulette table for pulling any of this off. Sorry to bring the thread back to reality.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoodleNoo
but not taken them due to BT's idea of making managers work their tails off for a pittance and no benefit....
Most companies in the US make their managers work their asses off, be prepared for 10+ hour days, working weekends and next to no vacation time.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Looking at your Welcome thread as well as this one, you seem to be side-stepping the visa issue. The shortage or abundance of job vacancies is moot until you've tackled the visa issue.

As a nurse with a degree, you may have a vague stab at H1b after collecting the prerequisites for a license. The spousal H4 does not allow work.

As a telecom engineer, hubby has an even vaguer stab at H1b provided he has the degree or requisite experience at degree level. An L1 transfer by BT would be nicer as this would allow the spouse to work.

All in all, however, I wouldn't throw a single buck on the roulette table for pulling any of this off. Sorry to bring the thread back to reality.
Gee, fatbrit you're a cheerful soul
Have looked into visa side already, but obviously need to know job availability etc, otherwise will try another route if not
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by N1cky
Most companies in the US make their managers work their asses off, be prepared for 10+ hour days, working weekends and next to no vacation time.
He works 10 hour days at the moment...weekends not an issue...and as for vacation time, if you're living in a nice warm/sunny part of the world, then who cares about length of vacation time?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:44 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

He works 10 hour days at the moment...weekends not an issue...and as for vacation time, if you're living in a nice warm/sunny part of the world, then who cares about length of vacation time?
Yeah, 'cos living in the sun is like being on a permanent vacation.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, fatbrit you're a cheerful soul
Have looked into visa side already, but obviously need to know job availability etc, otherwise will try another route if not
I really do wish you good luck in your prospective move, but an available job does not a visa make.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So when you have visitors over and he can't spend any time with them, or when you want to return to the UK for a family emergency or Christmas and he can't come, or you want to explore more of the US, or.......etc, etc, how will it being sunny and warm (or humid and uncomfortably hot in the summer) make any difference?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So when you have visitors over and he can't spend any time with them, or when you want to return to the UK for a family emergency or Christmas and he can't come, or you want to explore more of the US, or.......etc, etc, how will it being sunny and warm (or humid and uncomfortably hot in the summer) make any difference?

I was hoping to have some helpful replies to my post.....but I seem to be being dragged down the hypothetical route....firstly, we don't know what the job position will entail until he's applied/looked at it (work hours, holiday allowance etc), hence thats why I'm asking about other people's experiences and secondly, yes...we have to look at the visa situation....did that already before asking on here about the telecom engineer job.... worrying about who will come for christmas is not high on the list....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.