Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teething Problem

Teething Problem

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:13 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teething Problem

Hope you can impart your advice/experience for this one.

At the moment I am sitting here suffering crappy daytime soap opera because of no full time opportunities at the moment.
(Temp assignments apart)

Because of my situ our financial situ is very tight and as a result we don't have any health insurance at the mo.

But something has come up (gum infection, possible tooth extraction) that compels me to visit the dentist.
As mentioned we have to watch the spending and I know this is going to cost...

This is also the first time that I will visit a dentist over here and need to read your words about dentists, costs, etc.
Especially for someone who doesn't have health insurance.

What happened to you ?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:34 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in your situation, tight budget nagging tooth ache etc. I went to a 24 hour dentist the first time BIG MISTAKE, 3 hours later, 1 very sore mouth, 1 bill for $600 for a root canal cost $600 (no crown just a stump left).

My company has just dropped the dental insurance because of rising costs etc, and this morning I woke up with tooth ache (I cracked a tooth sometime ago)...I went onto the internet to find dental insurance and its my understanding that there is no such a thing as 100% coverage, just discounts, the website I checked out was www.dentalplans.com and it gives you a discount list, for a tooth extraction it says $68 but you have too pay a one time fee of $99 for 12 months with also 3 months free, does anyone have a experience with the discount plan???

Yours worringly

1 x tight arse brit that hates parting with my hard earned bucks.

Health care with medical insurance is great, Dental care with insurance BAD, dental care, no insurance.....holly shit
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Have you thought about going to yoru local community college or technical college. My local college has a dental section where you can go to recieve preventative care ie. cleanings, x-rays ,exam at very low prices - much lower than a regular dentist. Have you also thought about applying for medical assistance while you are unemployed? I know MA here in Minnesota will cover dental also. Why don't you do a search for your state and see what kind of financial medical aid programmes they have.

It is really rough having no dental insurance over here. Luckily I have insurance otherwise I don't know how I would have afforded my $800 for my first crown a few weeks ago. The costs over here are unbelievable!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:07 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

...the only academic institution around here is UNC. Chapel Hill - dentistry central !
And they can pick and choose who they treat.

(Private) Dental Insurance is out, as mentioned have to watch the pennies in our purse.

The Medical Assistance thing I'll look into, thanks for this.
I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to use this because of the Immigration rules. (No recourse to public funds,) but I'll check.

We called a number of dentists here - (are there are a good number !) and the costs are astronomical.
- For anyone planning to move over here - save, save save lots of money.
It gets swallowed up pretty fast anyway, but if you get sick or need treatment....
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by afosuk
...the only academic institution around here is UNC. Chapel Hill - dentistry central !
And they can pick and choose who they treat.

(Private) Dental Insurance is out, as mentioned have to watch the pennies in our purse.

The Medical Assistance thing I'll look into, thanks for this.
I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to use this because of the Immigration rules. (No recourse to public funds,) but I'll check.

We called a number of dentists here - (are there are a good number !) and the costs are astronomical.
- For anyone planning to move over here - save, save save lots of money.
It gets swallowed up pretty fast anyway, but if you get sick or need treatment....

Some dentists will take payments (they sometimes run a credit check though)....but its worth asking.
A walk-in medical clinic might be an option- they won't do dental obviously but you can get strong painkillers and antibiotics ,,until you can sort yourself out a dentist.
In the meantime nip down to the all night Walgreens and get yourself some of that numbing ointment - Bonjela type of stuff- it is really good for temporary relief. Also Advil capsules (take 3) are about the best, over the counter, medication for toothache, I've found.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure which state you live in but I do know that most states do have a number of programmes not just medical assisitance that can help people in different situations. If I were you I would call your local government community services. I know that here in Minnesota there is a programme that unemployed people can pay a little into a recieve health insurance while they are unemployed.

Also have you thought about calling the Slavation Army. Where I live they actually have a virtually free clinic here for people who can't or don't have dental insurance. Local dentists come in and give their time for free.