Reload this Page >

Teaching in the US

Teaching in the US

Old May 27th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

markandlinds is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Teaching in the US

Hi everyone.

My wife and i are looking to emmigrate from the Uk and would really love to live in the US, I'll be qualified as a teacher within the next two years and thought that this, plus a couple of years experience would be enough for me but it's becoming apparent that it may not be. So I may study for a Masters alongside my teaching. If anyone has any advice on how much better this will be for me it would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Mark, Lindsey
Old May 27th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the US

Originally Posted by markandlinds
Hi everyone.

My wife and i are looking to emmigrate from the Uk and would really love to live in the US, I'll be qualified as a teacher within the next two years and thought that this, plus a couple of years experience would be enough for me but it's becoming apparent that it may not be. So I may study for a Masters alongside my teaching. If anyone has any advice on how much better this will be for me it would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Mark, Lindsey
Hi, welcome to BE.
You need to read the Wiki regarding visas. Just having a good qualification is not enough unfortunately.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:20 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Cheers

Mark, Lindsey
Not a chance, given what you've told us so far, I'm afraid.

Unless you've got a bundle of money you haven't told us about, or unless you feel like dumping the wife and going for the ever-popular US-Spouse option.

Read the Wiki. Everything you need to know about US Visa options is in there.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Teaching at what level? Kindergarten? Higher?

My wife is a teacher (kindergarten) and we've just been through the pinkslip mill!!! Not very nice at all. So if you're looking in California which has a budget crisis and education seems to be low down the shopping list forget it.

Try Australia. Completely different immigration concept to here.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

It will be very difficult to immigrate to the US as a teacher, unless at the university level. In theory you could qualify for an H1-B visa. In practise, that visa is highly oversubscribed; far more applicants than available visas. Also, there are considerable legal costs associated with hiring foreign workers, and school boards typically don't have funds available for immigration sponsorship.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your comments guys, most helpful. We are, fortunately at the very early stages of emmigration planning and are keeping our options wide open. To answer a question I intend to teach Secondary level (ages 11-16, grades 5-10??), the impression I am getting is that the US, although our 1st choice (specifically Florida), will be our hardest option. We are in fact also considering Australia, New Zealand and Dubai amongst a couple of other "Plan C's"

thanks again guys
Old May 27th 2008, 4:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your comments guys, most helpful. We are, fortunately at the very early stages of emmigration planning and are keeping our options wide open. To answer a question I intend to teach Secondary level (ages 11-16, grades 5-10??), the impression I am getting is that the US, although our 1st choice (specifically Florida), will be our hardest option. We are in fact also considering Australia, New Zealand and Dubai amongst a couple of other "Plan C's"

thanks again guys
I don't think the US is really an option at all. Even if you got a specialized skill, such as a sign language or foreign language 'learning disabled' / special education capabilities at a private school, you still would find it impossible to get a visa. Even if you get your PhD and start teaching educational theory at the university level, you'll still have a bit of a wait for the technically temporary H-1 visa.

Anyone know how tough it would be to get to Canada as a teacher?
Old May 27th 2008, 4:38 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

the US, although our 1st choice (specifically Florida), will be our hardest option.
well there's a surprise
Old May 27th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Anyone know how tough it would be to get to Canada as a teacher?
Right now it's very tough. A recent thread over in the Canada forums.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:12 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again guys

There is a teacher on this forum ---> http://www.thefloridaforums.com/forum/ who got an H1b as an Elementary Teacher. She found a school district (in Florida too) willing to sponsor her, and they managed to apply as cap exempt. If you don't find a school district which can be cap exempt, you have to join the 'lottery' with everyone else on April 1st 2009 for a start date of Oct 09. With the school year normally starting end of August/ begining Sept, a visa for Oct is pretty useless.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:56 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of demand for teachers in special education, advanced math and the sciences, and less demand in the other categories. Budget cutbacks induced by economic decline should put the squeeze on these less favored categories. When cash is tight, it's the art, PE and basic subject teachers who get kicked to the curb.

You also need to expect that a US teaching stint may well involve earning your baptism of fire at a low quality, inner city school. Experienced teachers end up with the easy gigs in the 'burbs; new teachers often have to take what they can get.

Some districts will sponsor foreign teachers to fulfill these needs, as it can be difficult for them to find teachers with knowledge of these specialty subjects or who are willing to take on combat duty. If you can't fit into these high-demand categories, you will probably have a difficult time, with the economy declining as it is.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
There is a teacher on this forum ---> http://www.thefloridaforums.com/forum/ who got an H1b as an Elementary Teacher. She found a school district (in Florida too) willing to sponsor her, and they managed to apply as cap exempt. If you don't find a school district which can be cap exempt, you have to join the 'lottery' with everyone else on April 1st 2009 for a start date of Oct 09. With the school year normally starting end of August/ begining Sept, a visa for Oct is pretty useless.
You beat me to it .....
Old May 27th 2008, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by elfman
well there's a surprise
Well actually its me that wants Florida the Wife doesn't like the heat and would prefer New England...

I have looked at both CA and NY teach websites and both say teaching for overseas teachers is possible.. may drop them an email..
There does seem to be a shortage of Maths teachers so fingers crossed,,,

We both love america I have worked over there a couple of times in camps ..
Anyway thanks everyone for advice , may pester u all again soon
Old May 28th 2008, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually its me that wants Florida the Wife doesn't like the heat and would prefer New England...
It's hot and humid here too....just much colder in winter...

Anyway, unless your teaching uni level, it's probably not going to happen, cost of sponsorship would be a major put off even if anyone would have been interested in giving you a job...