Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A little bit of Medical advice needed!!

A little bit of Medical advice needed!!

Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A little bit of Medical advice needed!!

Looking for a helping hand because my mind is a little in overdrive at the moment, and a lot of heads probably are better than one!

A week ago I went for a mammogram, caused by my right boob feeling very uncomfortable. Ok better description, under my armpit and going down the side of my boob hurts. I did find a little swollen area a few months ago and didnt think too much about it, but the uncomfortable feeling has persisted which made me go to my doc. Physical breast examination revealed nothing, the swollen bit had gone, but they sent me to get the mammogram anyway, the nurse said as I was experiencing discomfort, it doesnt sound like a cancer because cancer doesnt hurt.??

I am 42 and a little bit! first mammogram in 15 years!

I got home on Friday to a lovely letter from the hospital saying I needed to go back, they want additional views, sounds like a picture for a bloody postcard, and a breast ultrasound and another physical breast examination. Now the first thing that went thru my mind was, oh shite, medical insurance nightmare! Then I thought bugger i have no short term dissability and better get in touch with aflac! Then I was piddled off that I didnt get that breast reduction ok'd 10 years ago and wouldnt be in this mess now!

So first things first, my insurance covers 1 mammogram annually. So i had that a week ago, and here they want another one, so does that mean I have to finance this one myself? Secondly, just say that they find something that shouldnt be there do I have to get an insurance quote first from my insurrance to find out what is affordable and what isnt? Then I need advice on short term dissability. Now at the moment I have not called back.... Will do this week, maybe tomorrow, but is it too late now to get some sort of short term dissability insurance incase something is wrong, and more to the point if something is not wrong so i am not standing here like i am now with my head up my ass?

And if i get a second opinion, how do i go about doing it, and does the insurance cover that? were supposed to have good insurance, but now i am not so sure now that i need it?

Times like this i wish i was back in germany, full paid leave and medical all covered.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:24 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little bit of Medical advice needed!!

Don't know your insurance, but they should cover further diagnostics if the first indicated the need, otherwise there would be no reason to do them. Check with them.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dee

While I'm fast approaching 60, I had a diagnosis of breast cancer at age 42. No it wasn't a lump that I or the doctor felt nor was there any pain or soreness associated with it. It was found on my baseline mammo. You might well have just had a swollen gland which is not unusual and not malignate.

Since my cancer was removed nearly 18 years ago I have had on several occasions had to go for a second mammo for additional views and magnifications on that breast. Never was a problem with the health insurance as there is a reason for the additional testing so do not even let that be a worry to you.

In fact, I will hold your cyber hand as I had my last mammo on February 22 and I have to go back for additional views and a manified view on the other breast this Friday.

As for the results, the tests will be read by the radiologist and believe me they are good at spotting problems and are the first to ask for additional tests if there is an area that needs clarification. I have a breast surgeon who reviews my mammos as well and he goes by the radologists recommendations as well.

As for what needs to be done if there is something there, you will be told to find a surgeon or oncologist. Their office will know what your insurance requires before surgery is done. Surgery is usually always done before one chooses radiation or chemo.

As for disability insurance, if you are working you probably already have that from the job. In my place, you use up your vacation time first and then disability kicks in. It is 60% of your salary, I believe.

Don't jump ahead of yourself. Call and make the appointment for the follow up mammo. Call your gyn or internist who requested the mammo in the first place. They can refer you to someone who specializes in breast cancer if that is the diagnosis. Also call the American Cancer Society for referrals. I purchased a great book way back then when I had cancer written by Dr. Susan Love. It is my bible. It is written in a straightforward and uncomplicated way and deals with everything you need to know from step one to the survivor's finish line.

You're in my prayers.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 10th 2008 at 12:17 am.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Looking for a helping hand because my mind is a little in overdrive at the moment, and a lot of heads probably are better than one!

A week ago I went for a mammogram, caused by my right boob feeling very uncomfortable. Ok better description, under my armpit and going down the side of my boob hurts. I did find a little swollen area a few months ago and didnt think too much about it, but the uncomfortable feeling has persisted which made me go to my doc. Physical breast examination revealed nothing, the swollen bit had gone, but they sent me to get the mammogram anyway, the nurse said as I was experiencing discomfort, it doesnt sound like a cancer because cancer doesnt hurt.??

I am 42 and a little bit! first mammogram in 15 years!

I got home on Friday to a lovely letter from the hospital saying I needed to go back, they want additional views, sounds like a picture for a bloody postcard, and a breast ultrasound and another physical breast examination. Now the first thing that went thru my mind was, oh shite, medical insurance nightmare! Then I thought bugger i have no short term dissability and better get in touch with aflac! Then I was piddled off that I didnt get that breast reduction ok'd 10 years ago and wouldnt be in this mess now!

So first things first, my insurance covers 1 mammogram annually. So i had that a week ago, and here they want another one, so does that mean I have to finance this one myself? Secondly, just say that they find something that shouldnt be there do I have to get an insurance quote first from my insurrance to find out what is affordable and what isnt? Then I need advice on short term dissability. Now at the moment I have not called back.... Will do this week, maybe tomorrow, but is it too late now to get some sort of short term dissability insurance incase something is wrong, and more to the point if something is not wrong so i am not standing here like i am now with my head up my ass?

And if i get a second opinion, how do i go about doing it, and does the insurance cover that? were supposed to have good insurance, but now i am not so sure now that i need it?

Times like this i wish i was back in germany, full paid leave and medical all covered.

Don't panic yet. First of all this is your first mammogram for 15 years and also your first one here in the US so they have nothing to compare with. A lot of times if there is anything that may look suspicous or unusual then the first thing the radiologist will ask for is previous films to see if it is something new or a change in a previous area that showed before.

Mag spots and ultrasounds will soon identify any problems. It may be your breasts are too dense for the radiologist to be able to get a satisfactory reading from just a mammogram.

Most insurances will cover these tests as they are being requested to further determine if there is a problem. If you haven't yet met your deductible you may have to do that and then pay whatever percentage your insurance doesn't cover.

Call, make your appointment for the tests and don't worry unnecessarily at this point.

Thinking of you....stay positive
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:43 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to add to this thread a little bit off the topic but relevant.

When I was back in the UK at Christmas one of my old buddys said that she had had a scare and went to the Dr's and he refered her the same day to a center in town that did the mamograms and they give the results there and then or whilst you wait in the waiting room there is no booking a 2nd opinon or more tests,I am curious why the US does not have the same procedure for same day diagnosis!!

Also the Doctor in the UK when I was having a consultation about another topic, said to me when I asked him about a mamogram that the british do not think that it is neccasary to have a mamogram if there are no symptoms until your are 50yrs old as the breast tissue does not stop growing until around that time of a females life!!

The good news was he said that there are far more negative positives then there are postive, positive.

DeeDee I hope is well for you and please keep us posted.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

When I was back in the UK at Christmas one of my old buddys said that she had had a scare and went to the Dr's and he refered her the same day to a center in town that did the mamograms and they give the results there and then or whilst you wait in the waiting room there is no booking a 2nd opinon or more tests,I am curious why the US does not have the same procedure for same day diagnosis!!

Also the Doctor in the UK when I was having a consultation about another topic, said to me when I asked him about a mamogram that the british do not think that it is neccasary to have a mamogram if there are no symptoms until your are 50yrs old as the breast tissue does not stop growing until around that time of a females life!!

The good news was he said that there are far more negative positives then there are postive, positive.

My brothers girlfriend went to when of those recently, they are offered on a regular basis when you are over 50. She had no lumps no pain and no swelling in her breasts but her mammogram showed a problem. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently having chemo and radiography treatment. If she had been offered regular yearly mammograms or at least a baseline before she was 50 her cancer would not have been so advanced.

I like the US system. Acting quickly is a major help when fighting most cancers.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have said first and foremost don't panic. A few years ago I had to go back and have a pressure mammogram then an ultra sound...at no cost to myself. Following that I had to find a breast surgeon for a biopsy. I was determined not to be worried about the whole procedure until I was told by the doctors there was something to be worried about.

Most breast lumps and bumps aren't cancer...mine included.

I don't think any of us can tell you what your insurance will cover without reading your policy. Call your insurance company and ask them. I'm fairly sure you won't be charged for the second mammogram because it is a follow up procedure.

Good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:20 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
My brothers girlfriend went to when of those recently, they are offered on a regular basis when you are over 50. She had no lumps no pain and no swelling in her breasts but her mammogram showed a problem. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently having chemo and radiography treatment. If she had been offered regular yearly mammograms or at least a baseline before she was 50 her cancer would not have been so advanced.

I like the US system. Acting quickly is a major help when fighting most cancers.
Maybe different parts of the UK do it different but my friend is 44yrs old and this same day result is open to anyone in Norwich.

I hope that your brothers girl friend recovers fully and soon
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Like others have said first and foremost don't panic. A few years ago I had to go back and have a pressure mammogram...at no cost to myself. Following that I had to find a breast surgeon for a biopsy. I was determined not to be worried about the whole procedure until I was told by the doctors there was something to be worried about.

Most breast lumps and bumps aren't cancer...mine included.

I don't think any of us can tell you what your insurance will cover without reading your policy. Call your insurance company and ask them. I'm fairly sure you won't be charged for the second mammogram because it is a follow up procedure.

Good luck.

She will probably have to pay towards her mammogram as it is the second one. Most insurances only cover one free mammogram for diagnostic reasons per calender year. If she has an HMO insurance it may be covered otherwise she will have to have covered her deductible and then pay whatever percent she is responsible for.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They do, Poppy. Depends on where you go and what your reason for going is. As for not doing the baseline until 50, I would probably be dead now if that were the case. 18 years ago you were to have your baseline at age 35. I waited until age 42 and it was found on the baseline, less than 1 cm so I was damn lucky.

Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

At the clinic I attend you don't wait for your mammogram results. I am about a 15 minute drive away and by the time I arrived home the phone was ringing. I was told a mass had been found and further investigations were required.

Have to agree with you about the US system of preventative care and not just for mammograms. It's the same story...if you have good health insurance you can get good care/treatment.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:26 am
Account Closed

Maybe different parts of the UK do it different but my friend is 44yrs old and this same day result is open to anyone in Norwich.

I hope that your brothers girl friend recovers fully and soon

Thanks she is doing a lot better now but the chemo really made her sick
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:28 am
Concierge

She will probably have to pay towards her mammogram as it is the second one. Most insurances only cover one free mammogram for diagnostic reasons per calender year. If she has an HMO insurance it may be covered otherwise she will have to have covered her deductible and then pay whatever percent she is responsible for.
I've had HMO's and PPO's over the last 18 years. Some years I have had 4 mammos and other years only 2. Have never had to pay for a second, third or fourth mammo under any plan and I've had Blue Cross, Oxford, Pomco and Aetna.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:28 am

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl;6040448]At the clinic I attend you don't wait for your mammogram results. I am about a 15 minute drive away and by the time I arrived home the phone was ringing. I was told a mass had been found and further investigations were required.

I think that the wait would be unbearable I seem to remeber my Mum had to wait 2 weeks I would have a break down in that time, at least if you know you can start either way to move forward..
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
I've had HMO's and PPO's over the last 18 years. Some years I have had 4 mammos and other years only 2. Have never had to pay for a second, third or fourth mammo under any plan and I've had Blue Cross, Oxford, Pomco and Aetna.

That's good, unfortunately not all insurance's will do that. BCBS of Texas only allow one mammogram free a year. I know as 2 years ago I had to have more than one. It wasn't very expensive as my deductible had been met but I did have to pay a portion plus the radiology fee for reading it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.