Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in the U.S

Teaching in the U.S

Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

RMC86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in the U.S

I posted a similar topic on the Canadian forum as we're considering both the U.S and Canada.

Anyway, I'm looking for any UK teachers who were successful in getting a job in the U.S.

I understand that you have to look at individual states regarding their teacher certification etc but has anyone actually managed to get a job?

I am completing my PGCE next year and then plan to do 1-2 years teaching over here before thinking about looking seriously.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the U.S

If you're able to move to the US based on other means, yeah, plenty of people do it.

If you're looking to move to the US based on a school sponsoring you for a visa, realistically, you can forget it.

You can definitely forget it if you've only got a few years experience and don't have a masters.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have USC relatives to sponsor you, or a spare $500k to "invest" about the only chance you have is marriage to a USC. Try internet dating, it has been known to work.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

State schools are unlikely to sponsor you (and I doubt it's even possible). Your only chance is applying for positions at private schools. One 'network' of schools I can think of that sponsor UK trained teachers is World Class Learning (aka British School of America).

You're probably up against a lot of other teachers, so it's best to make yourself stand out. Get some UK experience after your NQT year. Get some IB experience and study for a masters. You may then have a shot. Unfortunately, as a fresh PGCE student or NQT, you haven't got much of a chance at the moment.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Very few, I'd guess. Lots of teachers were laid off following the real estate bust in 2007-8 when property tax revenues, which finance most K-12 education in the US, plumeted along with house prices. There is lots of competition for very few new openings.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by RMC86
Anyway, I'm looking for any UK teachers who were successful in getting a job in the U.S.

I understand that you have to look at individual states regarding their teacher certification etc but has anyone actually managed to get a job?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The California school curriculum is dull and rigid, geared towards teaching to test, and becoming more so every year. Budgets are constantly squeezed.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
State schools are unlikely to sponsor you (and I doubt it's even possible). Your only chance is applying for positions at private schools. One 'network' of schools I can think of that sponsor UK trained teachers is World Class Learning aka British School of America. ....
Good point, Mrs P and I considered one for our daughter, but the teachers at the one we toured all appeared to have 10+ years experience.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Even tougher than Canada I'm afraid, and that's saying something! Have you seen the responses to your thread in the Canada forum?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Good point, Mrs P and I considered one for our daughter, but the teachers at the one we toured all appeared to have 10+ years experience.
I've heard they're particularly difficult and picky about the teachers they hire. I guess they want to give parents enough bang for their buck, and there is a lot of bucks to account for.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:31 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Hi OP

What do you think of the Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program? Does it not offer any possibilities for you?

(I just handed my packet in today to see if my PGCE will give me Washington State teacher certification, I think I have to wait 3 months now to find out)

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 9th 2013 at 2:34 am.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:50 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If you are currently taking a PGCE, then you already know that TES is your friend.
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6013874
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine got a job at a private school in NYC straight out of university in the UK. He didn't even have a PGCE, just a BA. He wanted to move to be with his USC girlfriend but didn't want to get married so he wrote to a bunch of private schools until he found one that happened to have an opening in his subject and was willing to sponsor him. He has been there for about 3 years now and seems to be doing really well. I've no idea what visa he is on though. I'm guessing J-1.

P.s. His BA is from Oxford, which I believe helped him to land the job. He said the school 'swooned' at that!

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Mar 9th 2013 at 5:27 am.