Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport for my US citizen son

UK passport for my US citizen son

Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

janine74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation UK passport for my US citizen son

I am a UK citizen. Been in AZ for 30 years on a permanent resident GC. My son was born in Mesa Az in 1996 ... he is 16. Last year I got him a US passport. I would like him to have a UK passport. How do i do this?? I can not find anywhere to tell me if I need to turn in US passport to do it or what the process is.

I also would like to register his birth with the UK and I have no clue how. Or what the rules are...

His dad who is deceased was born in the USA we were never married. Again, I along with all my family are from England. I DONT have citizenship because I want to move back to England eventually and my son would like to go too. Hence why I want to see everything I can do to make sure he can reside in England too..
Please help
Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport for my US citizen son

Start here http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ad/passports1/

He does not have to turn in his US passport. Dual nationality is allowed, if he qualifies, which sounds likely. The wording you will come across makes it sound like it is one or the other.

If he gets a uk passport - no need to register birth with UK.

For you, I would get US citizenship. It does not remove your UK citizenship, but without it, after returning to UK you would be at square one should later you want to return to US.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Do i just apply for a new passport on the UK website with all of his and my information? i am super lost and not good at navigating my way through internet pages. I am scared of doing something wrong
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

another question... would he be able to go over there to live with me if its after he turns 18 or does he have to apply?

thanks ahead of time
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:01 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The question is, is he a UK citizen?

I think so, by having a UK mother, but others will confirm. If yes, he /you can apply for a uk passport by following the instructions on the forms/website. I have not done it, so I can not offer further help. Good luck, I think you have no problem.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
The question is, is he a UK citizen?

I think so, by having a UK mother, but others will confirm. If yes, he /you can apply for a uk passport by following the instructions on the forms/website. I have not done it, so I can not offer further help. Good luck, I think you have no problem.
Thanks for your help! I want him to have all the options I have... he really wants to go too! All of our family is there... I miss home.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth - Register Birth. It's worth doing, more for future proofing, if you can afford it. Certificate isn't needed, cheaper to get that later in the UK.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/ - UK passport in the US.

For you, if you're eligible to get US citizenship, it's worth getting. It's always worth having the same citizenship as your children if you're able, so that you can follow them in the future if you wish and they move away.

Makes no difference to you anyway, you've been a LPR in the US long enough that you're still got IRS obligations when you leave, so you might as well do it with US citizenship.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janine74
another question... would he be able to go over there to live with me if its after he turns 18 or does he have to apply?

thanks ahead of time
If he is a UK citizen, he can apply for a UK passport. As a UK citizen, he has the right to live & work in the UK. He doesn't need to apply for permission.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I just Googled and found this forum for this very same question. I will add my situation and ask my question and hope that this will only add to this thread

I am a UK citizen, living here in the US for the last 13 years (I am a GC holder now applying for citizenship soon, will keep UK as well). My husband is Asian with citizenship from there. He is also a GC holder and will be applying for US citizenship. So here is my situation:

We have 2 children 8, 11 and we would like to get them UK passports. They were born in the US and are US citizens. We never registered their birth at the UK embassy. I thought that I could just follow the passport application process because they are eligible because of me, but then I stumbled upon the FORM MN1-APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF A CHILD UNDER 18 AS A BRITISH CITIZEN. Now I am wondering if this is the first step before applying for a passport or if I can apply straight for the passport? What is the advantage of MN1? If I applied directly for the passport, how long would it take to get the passports?

Really happy to have found this forum and look forward to learning more here. Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth - Register Birth. It's worth doing, more for future proofing, if you can afford it. Certificate isn't needed, cheaper to get that later in the UK.
Hi Bob- Can you elaborate on this point. If you can simply get the passport, then why do you need to register the birth for future proofing? Isn't the new UK passport proof enough?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Hi Bob- Can you elaborate on this point. If you can simply get the passport, then why do you need to register the birth for future proofing? Isn't the new UK passport proof enough?
Yep - the UK passport is enough.

However, some people recommend doing consular birth registration for children born in the US because of the fact that the UK authorities are suspicious of US birth certs issued more than 3 months after birth. This is because US birth records are altered in cases of adoption in which case the parents listed on the birth cert may not be the biological parents. If you register the birth, the child will easily be able to obtain proof of UK citizenship long after you are gone.

You can read more here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

As you can see from the above link, consular birth registration is optional. Your child can obtain a UK passport without going through consular birth registration.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - the UK passport is enough.

However, some people recommend doing consular birth registration for children born in the US because of the fact that the UK authorities are suspicious of US birth certs issued more than 3 months after birth. This is because US birth records are altered in cases of adoption in which case the parents listed on the birth cert may not be the biological parents. If you register the birth, the child will easily be able to obtain proof of UK citizenship long after you are gone.

You can read more here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

As you can see from the above link, consular birth registration is optional. Your child can obtain a UK passport without going through consular birth registration.
Thank you. Here is another situation. I can apply for my US citizenship now. Does it make any difference if I apply for my kid's UK passports after I become a US citizen (I will keep my UK passport). Does me becoming a dual citizen change anything for the UK passport eligibility of my children?

I guess all these things are coming into the radar screen and I am wondering how to approach my US citizenship and UK passports for my kids

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are sooooo many threads on this topic for the pro/cons.

If you want to read about it, search it out rather than having it hashed out, yet again.

Suffice to say, I think it's worthwhile if you can afford it, MN doesn't.

It is future proofing, because shit can change in the future. You just don't know if you'll be able to get parents birth/marriage certs in the future, nor if your US birthcert will be accepted, depending on state.

Bla,bla,bla.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Does it make any difference if I apply for my kid's UK passports after I become a US citizen (I will keep my UK passport). Does me becoming a dual citizen change anything for the UK passport eligibility of my children?
No.
No.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does it make any difference if I apply for my kid's UK passports after I become a US citizen...
No.

(I will keep my UK passport).
Good... because it's the UK, not the US, who decides who is or isn't a UKC.

Does me becoming a dual citizen change anything for the UK passport eligibility of my children?
No.

I am wondering how to approach my US citizenship and UK passports for my kids
With respect to citizenship and passports, one will have no effect whatsoever on the other.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.