Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Florida

Teaching in Florida

Old Jan 15th 2015, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by fiken1
Is the lifestyle different for teachers? I feel like I work all the hours possible and still have work to do. When I leave for work and come home between October and March it is completely in the dark. I miss sunshine and daylight!

I guess it would be mad to leave a permanent job to go for a new one each year
No. Private schools tend to be very demanding.

Note...the schools I know of are in New Jersey. Florida may be different.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I miss sunshine and daylight!
Daylight is exactly what I missed when I moved to the US! In the northeast it is dark around 8 pm in the summer, whereas in the UK I remember wonderful long summer evenings, still light up to 10 pm. Decades in, I still think about those summer evenings, one of the few things to get me nostalgic.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

fiken1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the winter where it is dark at 4pm and doesn't get light until 9.30-10am it gets really depressing

In the summer we do get daylight from 6am till 10-10.30 but doesn't seem worth the horribly long winter

I have been told that I am very highly qualified in teaching and that is an asset to the employers but still feel a bit lost
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It is the winter where it is dark at 4pm and doesn't get light until 9.30-10am it gets really depressing

In the summer we do get daylight from 6am till 10-10.30 but doesn't seem worth the horribly long winter

I have been told that I am very highly qualified in teaching and that is an asset to the employers but still feel a bit lost
Where in the UK is it not light until 9:30 am in the winter? That's a new one on me!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Scotland! haha it is already getting dark now and its 3.15pm
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Science/Chemistry teacher in Scotland and have been teaching since 2011. I have my Bsc then my post grad in teaching and now a masters in education.
Judging by most Florida schools, you're vastly over qualified.

FL teaches are paid very poorly and suffer budget cuts regularly due to the shortsightedness of whichever governor is in office at the time.

If it's just purely sunlight you're missing there are many other options around the world (and in the US) that would likely pay more and give more support to you through the process.

As to your question whether the lifestyle is different, not according to the teachers I know. They're always busy, often have to take 2nd jobs and end up buying a lot of their own supplies because the school cannot provide them.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland! haha it is already getting dark now and its 3.15pm
Move elsewhere in the UK then maybe if you can't get in to the US? Something to consider anyway.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

I don't want to work in England the English education system bothers me for a variety of reasons and the lifestyle would actually be worse.

I had also considered California and looked at Australia. I am a SCUBA diver and love the idea of being able to go diving more frequently than I can now.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to work in England the English education system bothers me for a variety of reasons and the lifestyle would actually be worse.

I had also considered California and looked at Australia. I am a SCUBA diver and love the idea of being able to go diving more frequently than I can now.
Europe? Mediterranean? I enjoyed scuba diving around Tenerife.

(While there are exceptions, generally over here teachers are treated like crap and are overworked/underpaid. Although I've seen posts in the past about British School organisations based here if you really wanted to pursue this.)
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think the lifestyle would be worse in England, what is it that you're hoping to achieve with a move other than lighter evenings? If you can let people know what you're hoping for in terms of lifestyle etc, then somebody may be able to suggest somewhere to fit the bill.

Oz may be possible (I've no idea on their requirements in terms of visas), or Hotscot's suggestion of the EU would be a good one - no visa needed and lots more sunshine than the UK.

Good luck choosing somewhere!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

the English education system bothers me for a variety of reasons
Just wait until you see what they do in Florida!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So does that mean I have to secure the job first? So then have to complete certification first?

The Principal I spoke to told me they need a visa first. ....
You are not the first person to have been "offered a job" in the US by an employer who has no way of obtaining a visa for the prospective employee, so the job offer is unfortunately completely worthless, unless you have a lineal relative or sibling who can apply for a visa for you (all except for visa applied for for parents by their adult children take a number of years to be processed and approved anyway).
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are not the first person to have been "offered a job" in the US by an employer who has no way of obtaining a visa for the prospective employee, so the job offer is unfortunately completely worthless, unless you have a lineal relative or sibling who can apply for a visa for you (all except for visa applied for for parents by their adult children take a number of years to be processed and approved anyway).
Not necessarily...my daughter's school sent a panel of interviewers across the globe to hand pick suitable teachers. An English accent is seen as prestigious in many private 'old money' schools in the NE USA.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
..... Although I've seen posts in the past about British School organisations based here if you really wanted to pursue this.)
There are IIRC six British American Schools, that were absorbed into a larger international school operating company a couple of years ago. ALL the teachers are British, and the school obtains the requisite visa for teachers offered a job. I competition is fierce.

There is one here in NC, in Charlotte, and we considered it for little Miss P. We were very impressed with the program and teachers. The major drawback was the small size of the school as a whole, about 10-12 pupils per year, with a total student body of about 130 (probably upto about 150-160 now that a sixth form has been added - when we looked the program only ran to age 16).
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not necessarily...my daughter's school sent a panel of interviewers across the globe to hand pick suitable teachers. An English accent is seen as prestigious in many private 'old money' schools in the NE USA.
Yeah, but per the OP, they told him to get his own visa, so obviously they are at best unfamiliar with the process, and at worst not really interested, or at least not interested enough to put themselves out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.