British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Teaching in Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/teaching-florida-850810/)

fiken1 Jan 15th 2015 12:19 pm

Teaching in Florida

I am a Science/Chemistry teacher in Scotland and have been teaching since 2011. I have my Bsc then my post grad in teaching and now a masters in education. I have been looking to move to Florida and have heard from a couple of interested schools.

Could anyone who works in Florida give me an idea of whether it is a good move? Do you need to apply for certification before the visa? Does the certification process affect any visa you apply for? Even if it is simply a holiday visa?

Thanks in advance I hope to hear from you soon

Jerseygirl Jan 15th 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by fiken1 (Post 11534336)
I am a Science/Chemistry teacher in Scotland and have been teaching since 2011. I have my Bsc then my post grad in teaching and now a masters in education. I have been looking to move to Florida and have heard from a couple of interested schools.

Could anyone who works in Florida give me an idea of whether it is a good move? Do you need to apply for certification before the visa? Does the certification process affect any visa you apply for? Even if it is simply a holiday visa?

Thanks in advance I hope to hear from you soon

Welcome to BE.

You cannot apply the visa...your prospective employer does.

fiken1 Jan 15th 2015 12:38 pm

So does that mean I have to secure the job first? So then have to complete certification first?

The Principal I spoke to told me they need a visa first

Very confusing

AlphaTangoMike Jan 15th 2015 12:38 pm

Hi Fiken1.

Your post isn't very clear.

I would suggest that you take a look at this WIKI and then post any follow-up questions that you may have:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Points to note:
You are not able to apply for a visa which allows you to work in the US. An employing organisation would have to sponsor you. (The company petitions on your behalf, if you fit into one of the appropriate categories > see the above WIKI).

I'm not sure what you meant by a holiday visa, if you hold a UK passport, you do not need a visa to visit the US (see: Visa Waiver Program).

Visiting the US (on holiday/vacation) does not entitle you to work. (You are allowed to attend interviews, but would have to leave the country while the employer petitions you for the appropriate visa).

ETA: most US companies know very little about hiring foreign workers, they would typically need to consult a law firm specializing in immigration matters.

fiken1 Jan 15th 2015 12:40 pm

I visit the US almost every year as a holiday.

I am aware I need to apply for a work visa to move permanently but I was worried that applying for a work visa would potentially stop me being able to travel as a holiday until it is finalised

Does that make more sense?

Jerseygirl Jan 15th 2015 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by fiken1 (Post 11534362)
So does that mean I have to secure the job first? So then have to complete certification first?

The Principal I spoke to told me they need a visa first

Very confusing

Yes the visa comes first. Without the visa there is no point in certification.

Is this a private school? I ask because state schools tend to be short of money...visas cost thousands of dollars.

Jerseygirl Jan 15th 2015 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by fiken1 (Post 11534366)

I am aware I need to apply for a work visa to move permanently but I was worried that applying for a work visa would potentially stop me being able to travel as a holiday until it is finalised

Again...you cannot apply for the visa. You may visit the US while the visa is being processed.

AlphaTangoMike Jan 15th 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by fiken1 (Post 11534366)

I understand what you're saying now.

To your point: the employer (the school), needs to apply (sponsor) for the visa for you. You do not (nor can you) do anything about it. If the school does not know this, you can point it out to the principal.

You can travel while you have an ongoing visa application. Depending on circumstances, it's sometimes not recommended. Search the forum and you'll find real-life accounts.

fiken1 Jan 15th 2015 12:47 pm

Thank you. I spoke to a principal of a private school and one from a British school. You are probably right in saying the employers are not clear on the process. I am finding it very overwhelming and we are only starting the process.

It is a dream we have had for many years but it seems out of reach

AlphaTangoMike Jan 15th 2015 12:52 pm

It may still be possible, I know that the British International School (in NYC) has quite a few teachers from the UK.

As suggested previously, discuss this with the principal and see what they say (once they've consulted an immigration lawyer).

Guindalf Jan 15th 2015 12:53 pm

Let me be the one to be blunt.

It most likely ain't gonna happen!

Teachers are not a position that most schools need to pay thousands of dollars to bring in from overseas, and most public schools will just plain not have the budget for it (as they have to answer to the county.state as to why they felt it necessary.

It has been known for a college professor to get sponsored, but below that, unlikely.

Anyway, Florida is more than just the House of Mouse and for a teacher, most likely not necessarily the best place to live!

Prove me wrong. Good luck.

fiken1 Jan 15th 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks for the honesty. I thought it might be a resounding no.

I have been going to Florida since 1988 I have travelled to many different parts of the state and really do want to relocate (House of Mouse aside)

I do know that there are many schools in need of science teachers but if it is so expensive for them to bring a teacher over I guess it is very unlikely

AlphaTangoMike Jan 15th 2015 1:01 pm

If you're single, you could always meet someone in the US.

Jerseygirl Jan 15th 2015 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by fiken1 (Post 11534397)
Thanks for the honesty. I thought it might be a resounding no.

I have been going to Florida since 1988 I have travelled to many different parts of the state and really do want to relocate (House of Mouse aside)

I do know that there are many schools in need of science teachers but if it is so expensive for them to bring a teacher over I guess it is very unlikely

Private schools have the money. The two private schools my daughter attended had several British teachers...they like the accent. :D. The teachers were on annual contracts...and the salary was poor...no healthcare insurance. I remember my daughter's Spanish teacher saying his salary was equal to one senior student's annual school fees.

fiken1 Jan 15th 2015 1:28 pm

Is the lifestyle different for teachers? I feel like I work all the hours possible and still have work to do. When I leave for work and come home between October and March it is completely in the dark. I miss sunshine and daylight!

I guess it would be mad to leave a permanent job to go for a new one each year