Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

Originally Posted by Sally
Oh OK, I don't really understand the social security. How much do you get when you retire?
They don't get free Rxs, I can tell you that much...

Do they get free bus passes here?

Oh, forgot - there are no buses here
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:41 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
Worked the taxes out here, if you include healthcare costs...UK is cheaper by 20%

and minimum wage in UK is now 5.52 pounds per hour compared with pathetic $ 5.85 ( 2.875 pounds per hour)
The minimum wage argument is irrelevant unless you are earning dollars and spending pounds.

If you earn dollars then that is what you spend here.

It is the same argument as people who come on holiday and say how cheap it is they are earning pounds and spending dollars. Minimum wage in Florida is 6.67
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK, I don't really understand the social security. How much do you get when you retire?
It depends on what you pay in when you work - but they send you a statement periodically to show you what that would be if you retired at various ages.

Couldn't find my latest statement - but I just found my husbands - here's a sampling of what his says:

At your current earnings rate, if you stop working and start receiving benefits at age 62, your payment would be: $1341/month
If you worked until 67, it would be: $1928/month
If until 70, it would be: $2399/month

If you become disabled right now, your payment would be: $1789/month

If you die this year, your family may qualify for the following benefits:
child: $1388/month
spouse caring for your child: $1388/month
spouse who reaches full retirement age: $1851/month
Total family benefits cannot be more than: $3241/month

It's basically the govt's plan for retirement. The controversy is that it's not sufficient for most people to rely on alone. My parent's generation had pensions, but those are pretty much a thing of the past unfortunately. Also, with a surge in the population (baby boomers) getting ready to retire, there's been a concern that the current system will be too stretched, and that younger Americans shouldn't rely on social security alone to take care of them.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
They don't get free Rxs, I can tell you that much...

Do they get free bus passes here?

Oh, forgot - there are no buses here
Free Rx no, discount, yes.

We have buses here. In fact - the university just partnered with the metro buses so that students could ride for free. In Portland, there is an entire "free zone" downtown where noone has to pay to ride public transportation - so it's a bit of a sweeping generalization to say that there is no public transport.

Is it as good as in Europe? Heck no - but it does exist, and is quite reasonable.

Plus individual towns sometimes have good benefits for their residents. My taxes pay help to pay for our rec center. For $75/year a family can belong to the rec center and have access to fitness equipment, basketball courts, racquetball courts, and lots of other things. For an additional $40/year you have access to the pools as well. Not bad - and beats any private gym pricing I've seen.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
The minimum wage argument is irrelevant unless you are earning dollars and spending pounds.

If you earn dollars then that is what you spend here.

It is the same argument as people who come on holiday and say how cheap it is they are earning pounds and spending dollars. Minimum wage in Florida is 6.67
Minimum wage is a bit misleading because employers must pay what the market demands. In our city I see burger flipping jobs starting at a minimum of $8 I'd say - while not a high wage - that's definitely above the minimum wage.

When the minimum wage goes up, fewer work. When it's lower, more work. Basic economics - there really isn't a win in either situation. The key is to provide training and to build individual's skills so they are able to earn higher wages.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:53 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJ2007
It depends on what you pay in when you work - but they send you a statement periodically to show you what that would be if you retired at various ages.

Couldn't find my latest statement - but I just found my husbands - here's a sampling of what his says:

At your current earnings rate, if you stop working and start receiving benefits at age 62, your payment would be: $1341/month
If you worked until 67, it would be: $1928/month
If until 70, it would be: $2399/month

If you become disabled right now, your payment would be: $1789/month

If you die this year, your family may qualify for the following benefits:
child: $1388/month
spouse caring for your child: $1388/month
spouse who reaches full retirement age: $1851/month
Total family benefits cannot be more than: $3241/month

It's basically the govt's plan for retirement. The controversy is that it's not sufficient for most people to rely on alone. My parent's generation had pensions, but those are pretty much a thing of the past unfortunately. Also, with a surge in the population (baby boomers) getting ready to retire, there's been a concern that the current system will be too stretched, and that younger Americans shouldn't rely on social security alone to take care of them.
Thanks for that, I think you have to have paid for 10 years to get anything, so I haven't looked into it too much. My apologies.

The same concern about overstretching the system will arise in all countries with an aging population.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:54 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

We have buses here. In fact - the university just partnered with the metro buses so that students could ride for free. In Portland, there is an entire "free zone" downtown where noone has to pay to ride public transportation - so it's a bit of a sweeping generalization to say that there is no public transport.

Is it as good as in Europe? Heck no - but it does exist, and is quite reasonable.

Plus individual towns sometimes have good benefits for their residents. My taxes pay help to pay for our rec center. For $75/year a family can belong to the rec center and have access to fitness equipment, basketball courts, racquetball courts, and lots of other things. For an additional $40/year you have access to the pools as well. Not bad - and beats any private gym pricing I've seen.
It exists in little pockets here and there across the country. If you don't have a car here, you're basically stuffed. In Europe, you don't need to own a car throughout most of the continent, which saves you a load of dosh.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Redlippie
It exists in little pockets here and there across the country. If you don't have a car here, you're basically stuffed. In Europe, you don't need to own a car throughout most of the continent, which saves you a load of dosh.
True - though I remember being stranded in Ireland once because the bus only came through once a day where I was. I was thinking it would be like England or France with frequent service - oops!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that, I think you have to have paid for 10 years to get anything, so I haven't looked into it too much. My apologies.

The same concern about overstretching the system will arise in all countries with an aging population.
No need to apologize.

You're right about the concerns being universal - there's a scary disclaimer on the social security statement I reviewed:

"Social Security is a compact between generations. For decades, America has kept the promise of security for its workers and their families. Now, however, the Social Security system is facing serious financial problems, and action is needed soon to make sure the system will be sound when today's younger workers are ready for retirement.

In 2017 we will begin paying more in benefits than we collect in taxes. Without changes, by 2041 the Social Security Trust Fund will be exhausted and there will be enough money to pay only about 75 cent for each dollar of scheduled benefits. We need to resolve these issues soon to make sure Social Security continues to provide a foundation of protection for future generations."

www.socialsecurity.gov

So if you hear people saying that "social security is running out" - that's what they are referring to.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you get twice as much diddly squat in UK.
Really? Based on what? Have you worked there for minimum wage and tried to exist? Health care aside, what about other factors? Childcare? Rent? Council tax? How do you get twice as much?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

social, if your a citizen...if not...it's kind of you get nothing.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In some cities there is public transport, but for many, there isn't, so it's not really an unfair generalisation.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In some cities there is public transport, but for many, there isn't, so it's not really an unfair generalisation.
so is it fair to say that all public transportation is affordable in the UK?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
so is it fair to say that all public transportation is affordable in the UK?
wasn't talking about cost of, just the provision for it...and for OAP's, yeah, it's dirt cheap in blighty. Those bus passes give 10p return ticket around the county, and when my mother went to see a mate in north wales, £10 for a return ticket from Oxford...that's pretty good going.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:03 pm
Russell Beattie

rbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nice

The summary seems to suggest that when you consider all taxes, direct and stealth, the burden is about the same on the tax payer. But why has all of us decided to live here in the USA if we're not actually better off or have a higher standard of living. For me my disposible income here in the USA is much greater than in the UK. What the taxes actually get for me is a better environment to raise my children, better schooling and less crime (here in Ohio anyway).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.