Reload this Page >

Tax Return - Is one needed ?

Tax Return - Is one needed ?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

SunnyDave is on a distinguished road
Default Tax Return - Is one needed ?

Hiya

I have a question about the dreaded tax return.

I moved to the US in November but haven't worked since I got here, the only income I have earnt this calender year has been in the UK prior to my move. Do I have to do a tax return in the US quoting my UK income and $0 earnt over here or do I not have to do one until next year ? Also, would my wife have to do a return - she hasn't had any income in the last 12 months other than tax credits and child benefit in the UK. Finally, if a return is needed, would it be straight forward or should I get a 'Tax Advisor' to complete it for us.

Many thanks

Dave
Old Jan 9th 2004, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return - Is one needed ?

Originally posted by SunnyDave
Hiya

I have a question about the dreaded tax return.

I moved to the US in November but haven't worked since I got here, the only income I have earnt this calender year has been in the UK prior to my move. Do I have to do a tax return in the US quoting my UK income and $0 earnt over here or do I not have to do one until next year ? Also, would my wife have to do a return - she hasn't had any income in the last 12 months other than tax credits and child benefit in the UK. Finally, if a return is needed, would it be straight forward or should I get a 'Tax Advisor' to complete it for us.

Many thanks

Dave

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no you don't need to file a tax return if your income is below a certain level.
Found this in my one of my email tax tips from the IRS-

"In general, once
you have the following gross income amounts, the law requires you to file
a federal tax return with the IRS:

Single $ 7,800
Head of Household $10,050
Married Filing Jointly $15,600
Married Filing Separately $ 3,050

Generally, a person who is self-employed must file a tax return if his or
her net earnings from self-employment for the year exceed $400."
Old Jan 9th 2004, 6:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We came over in Jan 2002 and didn't have to file a return until April 2003. You sholdn't have to file any UK earnings as they would have been earnt and taxed in the UK, but it's worth checking it out with the IRS anyway. If your wife doesn't have a SSN when you have to file a return, you will need to apply for an Individual Tax Identification number for her at the IRS office in order to do a joint file.