Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tax return form consent.. do I need to sign?

tax return form consent.. do I need to sign?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default tax return form consent.. do I need to sign?

Good morning,
So following the general advices, I got in touch with Pete to help us with our first tax return
He sent us some documents to sign and one of them is an "authorization to use tax return information to provide other requested tax related questions"
the form says that we are not obliged to sign so I am wondering if its really required?
Not that we have anything to hide but if its not compulsory I dont see why we should do it
Any of you have signed/not signed?
whats the consequences of signing or not?
Many thanks!
Laety
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax return form consent.. do I need to sign?

You don't have to sign it, but then any further tax advice also doesn't have to be provided either.

If the person doing the taxes don't have all the information, they can't complete a full assessment and they can be on the hook for making a balls up of it, so they might just decide not to bother.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
He sent us some documents to sign and one of them is an "authorization to use tax return information to provide other requested tax related questions".
Do you not want your tax advisor to use your tax information to answer any questions you or the government might have about your taxes?

... the form says that we are not obliged to sign so I am wondering if its really required?
Because your cooperation is necessary, your agreement/signature can't be coerced.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

fair enough!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:36 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I use Pete. Sign the form.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
Good morning,
So following the general advices, I got in touch with Pete to help us with our first tax return
He sent us some documents to sign and one of them is an "authorization to use tax return information to provide other requested tax related questions"
the form says that we are not obliged to sign so I am wondering if its really required?
Not that we have anything to hide but if its not compulsory I dont see why we should do it
Any of you have signed/not signed?
whats the consequences of signing or not?
Many thanks!
Laety
Also remember, any problems, you should never speak directly to IRS etc, let your accountant speak for you. "Only one ring master".

Reg. Frank R.