Reload this Page >

Tax advice please

Tax advice please

Old Mar 3rd 2003, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

gmcnicol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax advice please

Hi,

I entered the US in April of last year on a K1 fiance visa, we married in May last year. I brought over some money from the UK and, after marrying, placed some funds into a joint account ($10,000) and into a personal ($5,000) account for myself, as well as "gifting" $5,000 to my wife's account.

Can anyone advise me on whether or not the money I brought over with me is taxable in the US as the information I have is rather sketchy. We tried to email the IRS for their advice but received no reply.

Thanks in advance,

Graham
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 11:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax advice please

Originally posted by gmcnicol
...... Can anyone advise me on whether or not the money I brought over with me is taxable in the US ....
There is no tax payable on the money you brought over with you, but there will be tax due on the interest it has earned while it was on deposit.

If you sold something (property, investments etc.) that you owned in the UK after you had emigrated to the US then you may have tax to pay on any profits - but then you'd be best advised to speak to a tax accountant knowledgable about such things.