Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking medications

Taking medications

Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

auntieginzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking medications

so am I right in thinking that for prescription meds you get the prescription from the doc and then the meds at Target or wherever?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Isn't that illegal?
I think it's illegal to receive prescription meds in the US without a doctor's physical examination/consultation. I think one exam/consult per year is required.

I cannot imagine any doctor in the UK prescribing meds for longer than a 1 year period without actually seeing the patient...it would be most unethical and dangerous for the patient.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auntieginzy
so am I right in thinking that for prescription meds you get the prescription from the doc and then the meds at Target or wherever?
Yes...or you can go to your local pharmacy but sometimes Target/Walmart/Costco are cheaper. Some of us have meds insurance...we do and we get most of our meds through the mail via the insurance company.

Have you arranged healthcare insurance cover?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

No. But they don't like giving you meds when you are out of the country. There is no difference to being ill in the UK to being ill anywhere else in my book! Anyway I have to go back within the next month and I don't really want to spend the $500 they told me it would cost in the local pharmacy for one of the two meds I take.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
No. But they don't like giving you meds when you are out of the country. There is no difference to being ill in the UK to being ill anywhere else in my book! Anyway I have to go back within the next month and I don't really want to spend the $500 they told me it would cost in the local pharmacy for one of the two meds I take.
You are joking!! There is a huge difference in being ill here and the UK...especially if you don't have healthcare insurance.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

I am still under the care of a UK doctor but if I change to being under a US doctor then I would get my meds here.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am still under the care of a UK doctor but if I change to being under a US doctor then I would get my meds here.
How can you be when you are no longer a UK resident?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

I am staying here on a esta and unable to get a prescription because I don't have health a US health number.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am staying here on a esta and unable to get a prescription because I don't have health a US health number.
We are discussing meds for US residents...not visitors.

There is no such thing as a US health number. Besides there must be hundreds...if not thousands of visitors to the US everyday who get sick and see a doctor...who in turn writes them a script for meds.

So if you are only in the US for a max of 90 days why didn't you bring 3 months worth of meds with you?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2012 at 4:28 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auntieginzy
You can take your prescription (talking about a US one here) to any pharmacy but both Target and Costco have pharmacies in their larger stores.

The drugs tend to be cheaper in these box stores, however, if you don't have health insurance to cover medications you are still at risk for a hefty charge.

I still don't understand how you have sorted out the medical insurance before you get here since you are not coming over with jobs.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If you really need a prescription and don't have a doctor you can go to a CVS Minute Clinic (other Urgent Care drop in clinics exist too). They'll take your credit card and in return examine you and get you a prescription (maybe). You'll be paying everything out of pocket.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You can take your prescription (talking about a US one here) to any pharmacy but both Target and Costco have pharmacies in their larger stores.

The drugs tend to be cheaper in these box stores, however, if you don't have health insurance to cover medications you are still at risk for a hefty charge.

I still don't understand how you have sorted out the medical insurance before you get here since you are not coming over with jobs.
I seem to remember someone posting a while ago whose parent came here through family sponsorship without insurance. Although the son had lived here for years...he hadn't realised that his parent would not be able to get healthcare insurance without it costing an arm and a leg. Their health took a turn for the worse and it all got very messy.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

My doctor gave me two months for my first stay and when I asked for three months for my next stay they refused...even though I have been on these meds for five years.
I enquired at the CVS and Mesalazine for a month would be $500 and the other was $300 for a month.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

There is no difference to being ill in the UK to being ill anywhere else in my book!
My doctor gave me two months for my first stay and when I asked for three months for my next stay they refused...even though I have been on these meds for five years.
I enquired at the CVS and Mesalazine for a month would be $500 and the other was $300 for a month.
Well there you go then, I think you've just managed to disprove your own point.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

What I meant was that whilst I am living in the UK I pay for a pre-payment card for the year that enables me to get meds for the whole year every month. Just because I spend a couple of months in another country my doctors seem to think this means I become ineligible to take three months with me and that is what I meant by it should not matter where I am ill.

When I get married I will be able to get meds through my wife's medicare plan and pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.