Reload this Page >

Taking classes

Taking classes

Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:34 am
Just Joined

londonj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking classes

Hi,

As a budding actor in London, I have had a wackey idea to go to LA to take some classes. I only want to go for 3 months max, does anyone know if I will need a visa for this? If I really saved before I went I could afford not to work. As I will not be a 'proper' student im finding it difficult to find info.

Thanks in advance

Janeen
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking classes

Originally Posted by londonj
Hi,

As a budding actor in London, I have had a wackey idea to go to LA to take some classes. I only want to go for 3 months max, does anyone know if I will need a visa for this? If I really saved before I went I could afford not to work. As I will not be a 'proper' student im finding it difficult to find info.

Thanks in advance

Janeen
you'd have no choice but to afford not to work.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Do you know if I would need a visa or could I just do it on a holiday one?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:27 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if I would need a visa or could I just do it on a holiday one?
What you do in your allocated 'holiday' three months is, I guess, up to you. You will be in the States on vacation. What you do in that three months is entirely up to you, so long as US immigration know where you are staying. If you plan to stay with someone you know, all the better... you are having 'time out' visiting.

Personally, I don't see any complications. You wouldn't be in the US to work in any official capacity. To book a few private acting lessons is neither here nor there.

----

Last edited by britex01; Dec 29th 2007 at 2:30 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:32 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
What you do in your allocated 'holiday' three months is, I guess, up to you. You will be in the States on vacation. What you do in that three months is entirely up to you, so long as US immigration know where you are staying. If you plan to stay with someone you know, all the better... you are having 'time out' visiting.

Personally, I don't see any complications. You wouldn't be in the US to work in any official capacity. To book a few private acting lessons is neither here nor there.

----

He's an actor he's 'Resting between jobs'
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:44 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
He's an actor he's 'Resting between jobs'
Yup, that's as good as any ...

---
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to be pedantic

don't plan for 3 months

plan for 89 days.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:41 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If the course is less than 18 hours per week, you can travel on the visa waiver. Otherwise, you are supposed to get a student visa:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

In practice, you should be able to get away with it. Just don't fill your luggage full of gear that makes it obvious that you are here for studies, and have a tourist story that you can tell to Homeland (In)Security that you can provide if asked about it.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:37 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If the course is less than 18 hours per week, you can travel on the visa waiver. Otherwise, you are supposed to get a student visa:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

In practice, you should be able to get away with it. Just don't fill your luggage full of gear that makes it obvious that you are here for studies, and have a tourist story that you can tell to Homeland (In)Security that you can provide if asked about it.
Depends also on whether they'll enroll him 'as is'.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:19 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Depends also on whether they'll enroll him 'as is'.
A lot of these acting classes are fairly informal, offered outside of normal academia and without any academic credit. The most important credential for admission for one of those is being a card-carrying member of Visa, Mastercard or possibly American Express.

My greatest concern would be finding a class that's actually worth your while. I would assume that a lot of them are fairly half-assed, so I'd do your homework carefully before choosing one.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advise it really helps. BTW I am not a he but a she, well last time I checked anyway! I am studying in London so not quite a 'resting actor just yet' I know this has nothing to do with visa's etc but if anyone does know any good acting classes/websites it would really help.

Thanks again for the help
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:46 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advise it really helps. BTW I am not a he but a she, well last time I checked anyway! I am studying in London so not quite a 'resting actor just yet' I know this has nothing to do with visa's etc but if anyone does know any good acting classes/websites it would really help.

Thanks again for the help
Well best you learn to act like on luvvie
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Well best you learn to act like on luvvie
My actress friend worked at Stringfellows ...at night
Use to spend all day counting her money...
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
My actress friend worked at Stringfellows ...at night
Use to spend all day counting her money...
She's not really an actress then if she spends the night stripping and the day counting the earnings....more of a special dancer then???? I maybe wrong.

Anyway slightly of the subject
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

She's not really an actress then if she spends the night stripping and the day counting the earnings....more of a special dancer then???? I maybe wrong.

Anyway slightly of the subject
Finest actress I have ever seen ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.