British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Taking classes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/taking-classes-502148/)

londonj Dec 29th 2007 1:34 am

Taking classes

Hi,

As a budding actor in London, I have had a wackey idea to go to LA to take some classes. I only want to go for 3 months max, does anyone know if I will need a visa for this? If I really saved before I went I could afford not to work. As I will not be a 'proper' student im finding it difficult to find info.

Thanks in advance

Janeen

Manc Dec 29th 2007 1:35 am

Re: Taking classes

Originally Posted by londonj (Post 5714278)
Hi,

As a budding actor in London, I have had a wackey idea to go to LA to take some classes. I only want to go for 3 months max, does anyone know if I will need a visa for this? If I really saved before I went I could afford not to work. As I will not be a 'proper' student im finding it difficult to find info.

Thanks in advance

Janeen

you'd have no choice but to afford not to work.

londonj Dec 29th 2007 12:44 pm

Do you know if I would need a visa or could I just do it on a holiday one?

britex01 Dec 29th 2007 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by londonj (Post 5715745)
Do you know if I would need a visa or could I just do it on a holiday one?

What you do in your allocated 'holiday' three months is, I guess, up to you. You will be in the States on vacation. What you do in that three months is entirely up to you, so long as US immigration know where you are staying. If you plan to stay with someone you know, all the better... you are having 'time out' visiting.

Personally, I don't see any complications. You wouldn't be in the US to work in any official capacity. To book a few private acting lessons is neither here nor there.

----

Thydney Dec 29th 2007 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by britex01 (Post 5716007)
What you do in your allocated 'holiday' three months is, I guess, up to you. You will be in the States on vacation. What you do in that three months is entirely up to you, so long as US immigration know where you are staying. If you plan to stay with someone you know, all the better... you are having 'time out' visiting.

Personally, I don't see any complications. You wouldn't be in the US to work in any official capacity. To book a few private acting lessons is neither here nor there.

----

He's an actor he's 'Resting between jobs':rofl:

britex01 Dec 29th 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5716013)
He's an actor he's 'Resting between jobs':rofl:

Yup, that's as good as any ... ;)

---

Manc Dec 29th 2007 3:58 pm

Hate to be pedantic

don't plan for 3 months

plan for 89 days.

RoadWarriorFromLP Dec 29th 2007 4:41 pm

If the course is less than 18 hours per week, you can travel on the visa waiver. Otherwise, you are supposed to get a student visa:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

In practice, you should be able to get away with it. Just don't fill your luggage full of gear that makes it obvious that you are here for studies, and have a tourist story that you can tell to Homeland (In)Security that you can provide if asked about it.

AdobePinon Dec 29th 2007 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 5716365)
If the course is less than 18 hours per week, you can travel on the visa waiver. Otherwise, you are supposed to get a student visa:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

In practice, you should be able to get away with it. Just don't fill your luggage full of gear that makes it obvious that you are here for studies, and have a tourist story that you can tell to Homeland (In)Security that you can provide if asked about it.

Depends also on whether they'll enroll him 'as is'.

RoadWarriorFromLP Dec 29th 2007 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 5716625)
Depends also on whether they'll enroll him 'as is'.

A lot of these acting classes are fairly informal, offered outside of normal academia and without any academic credit. The most important credential for admission for one of those is being a card-carrying member of Visa, Mastercard or possibly American Express.

My greatest concern would be finding a class that's actually worth your while. I would assume that a lot of them are fairly half-assed, so I'd do your homework carefully before choosing one.

londonj Dec 29th 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for the advise it really helps. BTW I am not a he but a she, well last time I checked anyway! I am studying in London so not quite a 'resting actor just yet' I know this has nothing to do with visa's etc but if anyone does know any good acting classes/websites it would really help.

Thanks again for the help

Thydney Dec 29th 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by londonj (Post 5716845)
Thanks for the advise it really helps. BTW I am not a he but a she, well last time I checked anyway! I am studying in London so not quite a 'resting actor just yet' I know this has nothing to do with visa's etc but if anyone does know any good acting classes/websites it would really help.

Thanks again for the help

Well best you learn to act like on luvvie:rofl:

Ray Dec 29th 2007 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5717085)
Well best you learn to act like on luvvie:rofl:

My actress friend worked at Stringfellows ...at night
Use to spend all day counting her money...

londonj Dec 29th 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5717228)
My actress friend worked at Stringfellows ...at night
Use to spend all day counting her money...

She's not really an actress then if she spends the night stripping and the day counting the earnings....more of a special dancer then???? I maybe wrong.

Anyway slightly of the subject

Ray Dec 29th 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by londonj (Post 5717258)
She's not really an actress then if she spends the night stripping and the day counting the earnings....more of a special dancer then???? I maybe wrong.

Anyway slightly of the subject

Finest actress I have ever seen ...