Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

sweets at work

sweets at work

Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sweets at work

Originally Posted by britvic
Go on tell us
Got it now, but I'm the one who says that
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:10 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Reese's peanut butter cups ( especially the new ones with caramel)
Mounds - similar to a dark Bounty
Baby Ruth
Laffy Taffy - Sour Apple & banana ones
Fruit slices from Trader Joe's
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Given the choice, chocolate coated pretzels - the little crunchy things...
make ya own, kind of, pretzels with a hersey kiss on top, 10 mins in oven at 310, twonk the door and the kiss drops, and then plonk an M&M on top...lovely
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lionheart
Reese's peanut butter cups ( especially the new ones with caramel)
What about the "backwards" ones then?
PB on the outside, chocco in the middle.....
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britvic
Got it now, but I'm the one who says that
*Dirty laugh*
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
Is it just here that people have huge bowls of sweets on their desks. In almost every office there is a plate or bowl groaning under the weight of nasty american sweets and chocolates.
Even at the dentist for goodness sake they have a huge plate of fresh chocolate chip cookies (I pointed out the obvious irony here and they just couldnt see it, they saw it as an act of generosity, DUH!)
It makes me feel sick seeing people eat so much canddy all the time. Then you get people putting out plates with little collection boxes asking for donations to the candy bowl. Am I a scrooge for not contributing.
I feel often that living/working here I am in some weird children's universe where adults behave like children (specifically regarding eating). I still see eating burgers as kids food and something one grows out of when you get older. Here people always moan when they have some 'adult' food like roast chicken or spinach something or lentil something, they always look forward to the days when they can have 'comfort' childrens food like a hot dog or burger. (we get free food at my company!)
Food addiction is a big problem in America. I am not sure just how much this has invaded other countries. The root of the problem has to do with the big corporations getting regulations against certain food chemicals relaxed back during the Reagan Administration (1980s) so that food is now addictive. The use of refined super-sugars (forms of corn syrup, usually), the MSG and its variations and many other chemicals have encouraged people to eat more, eat faster and be less satisfied. And Americans have gone right along with it with enthusiasm, surrounded by lots of food ads portraying all this junky stuff as quality food that no one can do without. No one seems to question the madness of all this. On my job, most people are overweight and quite a few are massively obese and yet junk food of all kinds is regularly provided and everyone eats it all the time. I am going to a meeting this afternoon and will have to turn down donuts, candy, soda, chips and all the usual stuff they provide that is unnecessary for everyone and unhealthy for some of us (like me; I manage a weight problem by constantly turning down junk food and by exercising). I consider it a real form of American madness--though, for all I know maybe it's engulfing the world.

Last edited by lauriejane; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:02 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauriejane
Food addiction is a big problem in America. I am not sure just how much this has invaded other countries. The root of the problem has :
And I though I was fat cos I'm a greedy bastard ...

Bleedin Regans fault ............
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:41 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And I though I was fat cos I'm a greedy bastard ...

Bleedin Regans fault ............
Jack Regan of the Sweeney?.