Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SUV's so who got one when they got to the USA?

SUV's so who got one when they got to the USA?

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ariana Huffington you say mate ?

Thank you Daltry for your mini-review of the American auto market . I'll be sure to check for those issues before buying.

Originally posted by Daltrey

If California elects him what a blow to US politics

-indeed. I'll be back.

Already with a president that the majority did not vote for!

-I didnt vote for him either. He *is* the illegitimate President and will never get my support! And I'm moving to his State... ACK.

Oh well we had Reagan an actor and he was OK...

- Anyone who says that is a crackpot (or speaks like one at least).

Yeah, he was asleep at the wheel,all he had to do was spend money on defence to thwart the Soviets,then again
he may have had early alzheimer's and never really ran the country anyway.

-too right.

Didn't you know that Yanks love a conspiracy theory?

-Yeah well .. you cant deny it. Yes I'm a Kennedy freak.

But,I digress with all this mention of Fords I've overlooked the best by far SUV,not sure why,I guess it was a quick response.

In any event the best SUV rated for the last 3 years by far is the
Subaru Forester and I do not own one nor have I ever owned a Japanese vehicle.

-OK.. are Japanese parts still cheaper than part for American cars?

But I have owned Ford's and have sued them due to mine having a faulty ignition and it burning up in my dooryard LOL!

-good luck with that!

another story

Be weary of people recommending the vehicles they own as they are biased do your own research.

-Perhaps so, but if someone has had a bad experience and done some research themselves since, then it could be a tidbit of useful info.

I am unfortunately a research aholic:lecture:
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 1:12 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SUV's

Jeremy Clarkson would be proud ....

Originally posted by Pulaski
The 2002 model year Explorer onwards was a huge leap forwards for SUV design as it has all-round independent suspension, which at the time was, I think, unique for a large 4x4 (the only other one that I know of at that time, with all round independent suspension, was the Toyota RAV4).

Ford subsequently added the Excursion with independent suspension too. Land Rover always maintained that it wasn't possible to build a capable off-road with independent suspension as it meant sacrificing ground clearance, so not even the Chelsea farmers' Range Rovers had (not sure about now, but I'd guess not) independent suspension.

If I wanted an SUV I definitely go for a 2002 (or later) Ford Explorer or Excursion.

..... And if you like the image but don't need four wheel drive, and fancy an extra five (or so) mpg then you can get a two wheel drive version for a good bit less outlay.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

If you were forking out for a Mercedes-Benz SUV would you go for one of these ugly buggers:
Attached Thumbnails SUV's so who got one when they got to the USA?-03_mercedesbenz_gclass_386.jpg  
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by TimEh?
If you were forking out for a Mercedes-Benz SUV would you go for one of these ugly buggers:
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: YUK!!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's Germany's answer to the Jeep/ Humvee (the original one, not that weeny, ugly, upstart, rip-off, the Hummer H2) as it was designed and produced primarily for the German military. They then decided to sell a civilian version but it was plug-ugly, as Tim's picture shows.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by suebo
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: YUK!!
And for No. 2 on the "plug-ugly" or Yuk list:

The Honda Element
Attached Thumbnails SUV's so who got one when they got to the USA?-hn2003element01.jpg  
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

And for No. 2 on the "plug-ugly" or Yuk list:

The Honda Element
Last one on my list (honest) -

The Pontiac Aztec:

Looks worse in real life - especially from the rear (as do all the vehicles in my list of ugly).
Attached Thumbnails SUV's so who got one when they got to the USA?-5od%2520fwd.jpg  
Old Sep 6th 2003, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

I saw one of those Honda's on the road, butt ugly:scared:.... at least the last one is not as bad as the other two.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 4:22 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I think the Pontiac Aztecs look pretty cool, for the design of the rear end alone.

Chevvy Avalanches swoon me though, I'd kill(babies for oil, LOL) for one of those.
Attached Thumbnails SUV's so who got one when they got to the USA?-avalanche.jpg