Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

So I've been here in the states for 8 years now ... its just amazing how fast it goes. Feels like yesterday I was fresh of the boat so to speak and starting my freshmin year of college. Loving LA life but greatly missing my Scottish homeland. Does anyone else find that the longer their gone the more they miss the little things? Everything from the food, the people, the culture, atmosphere, you name it. I love America and I'm here to stay but would love to hear from any Brits out there who are over here in the states and looking for ways to combat homesickness or places to stock up on more tastes of home Cheerio o
Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:15 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

ditto that, 5 years and the sickness gets worse.

Things I find help combat the longing are:

- Always have a trip back to UK scheduled, then you have something to look forward to.

- It is often a symptom of something else, i.e. if I'm feeling blue, the easiest thing to attribute it to is homesickness, when it might just be that I had a really shitty week but can't put my finger on exactly why. Thinking the grass may be greener back home is an easy rut to slip into.

- I find mixing with other Brits is helpful. Not always, sometimes it has the reverse effect and makes you even sicker!!!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Definately, I do have much needed trip scheduled for back home this Christmas and New Years and am counting the days. Usually make it back once a year over the hols, although had a 3 year break a while back. Would like to find more Brits to mix with in the LA area ... hehe sure I can see the potential of helping or making things worse, oh well. Nothing like the British sense of humor though to cheer yourself up after a crappy week Thanks for the input
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:12 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by swingin scot
Definately, I do have much needed trip scheduled for back home this Christmas and New Years and am counting the days. Usually make it back once a year over the hols, although had a 3 year break a while back. Would like to find more Brits to mix with in the LA area ... hehe sure I can see the potential of helping or making things worse, oh well. Nothing like the British sense of humor though to cheer yourself up after a crappy week Thanks for the input
Nice to see another fellow Scot.
I'll buy you a couple of pints if you're ever in Oregon mate
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:05 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Also Scottish and in LA although only been here since March this year.
I would be wonderful to make our own perfect place. Mine would be Edinburgh situated on the pacific coast - perhaps in the Santa Barbara area!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

OOOh yeah I could get used to that ... Santa Barbara is paradise. Would definatley miss the rain and snow over Christmas though ... not the same Christmas shopping in shorts and T's.

Originally posted by scotch03
Also Scottish and in LA although only been here since March this year.
I would be wonderful to make our own perfect place. Mine would be Edinburgh situated on the pacific coast - perhaps in the Santa Barbara area!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds great ... how long have you been out here? Do people have a hard time with your accent? When I first got out here it was ridiculous, you'd think I was speaking another language to look at their faces Mine is so slight now people don't notice until I tell them and then they only pick up on a few little things ... kinda wish I wasn't quite so Americanized, always helps a bit after a vacation with the fam though

Originally posted by tony_2003
Nice to see another fellow Scot.
I'll buy you a couple of pints if you're ever in Oregon mate
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

From my friend Pat.......

There was this guy and and he went to the Doctors and said 'Doc, every time I blow off it sounds like a motorbike' and the Doc frowns. 'A motorbike hmmmm?' he puzzles. 'Doesn't everyone sound a little like a motorbike when they break wind?' the Doc replies.
'No Doc - this is different', the Guy say's, and he bends over the desk, 'Listen Doc......'. he strains for a while, then suddenly
'Honda'! The Doctor can hardly believe his ears as the guy strains another..... 'Hondaaaaaaaaa'
'My Gosh!' the Doctor exclaims, 'I will need to do an examination right now!'
The doc digs around and declares 'As I expected! - you have an absess, nothing to worry about, take these pills'.

'An abscess?' the guy enquires..... 'but why would that cause me to bottom burp like that?!?!?!'

Because..........

Wait for it...........

"Abscess makes the farts go Honda!"

(so glad it's not possible to get hit by rotton tomatoes on a forum LOL!!!!!!)
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Oh boy, I've heard everything now heheh
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Yes and I'm thinking about the statistics involved. For everyone who expatriates probably around 1 in 5 go back within months. Then, for those who stay on, how many return eventually? How many return for retirement!? Looking at these boards, it seems many return from various countries.

Originally posted by swingin scot
So I've been here in the states for 8 years now ... its just amazing how fast it goes. Feels like yesterday I was fresh of the boat so to speak and starting my freshmin year of college. Loving LA life but greatly missing my Scottish homeland. Does anyone else find that the longer their gone the more they miss the little things? Everything from the food, the people, the culture, atmosphere, you name it. I love America and I'm here to stay but would love to hear from any Brits out there who are over here in the states and looking for ways to combat homesickness or places to stock up on more tastes of home Cheerio o