Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Wikiposts

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Support our troops' car ribbons

Originally Posted by Dan725
Not so with the new "Tone" Blair, he's currently working on an elaborate answer phone message system for the forces to free up personnel so he can keep up with Bush and still carry on with his defence cuts
Could never understand Blair and Bush as bed partners. Thatcher and Reagan (or even Blair and Clinton) seemed to be twins seperated at birth! But the current partnership defies all logic...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
In fairness, I don't see her (she's a girl, you know) posting anywhere that she "couldn't care less" or that she thinks "we could do without any military or security." And the previous allegation that she would "be happier giving [her] cash to Bin Laden" leads me to think you might be being a bit, well, you know, hysterical.

I'm not hysterical.....wibble....just having an orderly discussion you know
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Could never understand Blair and Bush as bed partners. Thatcher and Reagan (or even Blair and Clinton) seemed to be twins seperated at birth! But the current partnership defies all logic...
Maybe Tony is considering his retirement options and going into the oil business....
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Tony is considering his retirement options and going into the oil business....
There speaks the true cynic. Welcome to the club!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
A real, tangible benefit that comes with nothing to display to the world? What use is that! Give me a big yellow sticker any day.
aye, well maybe if it weren't a yellow ribbon then
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:18 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

There speaks the true cynic. Welcome to the club!
Funny though isn't it?

In South Africa you get arrested and charged for trying to get at another countries oil.

Over here you get a second term in office.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

US staff sgt gets a year in jail over murdering an Iraqi teenager, yeah liberation for the Iraqis.

Last edited by doctor scrumpy; Jan 14th 2005 at 5:28 am.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:19 am
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Yes it is - he went for something that I think was way down the chart as regards to global security, when there were and still are bigger threats about. Seems like we are agreed on something then!
The recent tsunami put it into perspective...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
It seems every single car in Pennsylvania has one of these magnetic ribbons on the back of them. If its not 'Support Our Troops' then its the 'POW MIA'
or pink breast cancer ones or 'God Bless the USA'.
Someone somewhere has come up with a brilliant idea and is now laughing all the way to the bank. None of these 'support our troops' etc magnets actually go towards any kind of charity to support the troops, all they're doing is lining the pockets of predominantly Walmart, and where ever else they are sold. Wouldn't it be a bit more supportive to give the $2 or however much they cost to war vets charities and the like?

This Blanket Statement doesn't fit all.

There are people and places that are selling them where the funds are used for packages, supplies, etc. for the troops. They are usually run by wives, mothers, families of servicemen and women.

I have one on my car from just such an organization and my pink ribbon from purchased from a gas station. However, I also donate to various breast cancer organizations as well as walk in the Revlon Walk/Run for Breast Cancer as a survivor.

Have you given your $2 or whatever to an organization to support our troops or for breast cancer research?

Rita
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:52 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This Blanket Statement doesn't fit all.

There are people and places that are selling them where the funds are used for packages, supplies, etc. for the troops. They are usually run by wives, mothers, families of servicemen and women.

I have one on my car from just such an organization and my pink ribbon from purchased from a gas station. However, I also donate to various breast cancer organizations as well as walk in the Revlon Walk/Run for Breast Cancer as a survivor.

Have you given your $2 or whatever to an organization to support our troops or for breast cancer research?

Rita
How do you know they are going towards a charitable organization? Nowhere on the packet or in walmart or any of the places I've seen does it say that the money goes to charity which is what made me so annoyed in the first place.

As for the last bit of your post, yes I have, seeing as my mother is a breast cancer survivor, which is why I'd be suspicious as to where my money is going if I were to hand over $2 in a gas station /walmart . I doubt very highly the gas station/walmart doesn't get a cut of the price and the rest of the money probably goes towards the company that pays children 2cents a day in china to make them.

Last edited by SarahUK; Jan 14th 2005 at 5:56 am.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

I am just still not clear on why members of the military are more derserving of support ($$ or equivalent) then Tusami victims, homeless people, drug addicts, orphaned children, teachers, etc? Can someone explain this to me?

#1 They volunteered.
#2 They get paid, their salary was not a secret when they agreed to #1 above.
#3 Their job involves killing, not healing the sick or eliminating poverty.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:07 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by DCMark
I am just still not clear on why members of the military are more derserving of support ($$ or equivalent) then Tusami victims, homeless people, drug addicts, orphaned children, teachers, etc? Can someone explain this to me?

#1 They volunteered.
#4 They have post-service benefits such as: lifetime access to healthcare, financial assistance with further education costs, guaranteed mortgage, etc.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:14 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCMark

#1 They volunteered.

I don't think anyone says that they are more deserving

#1 Yes they did
#2 yes they do, so do firefighters, teachers, police officers and any other civil servant, but they still hold fundraisers
#3 Do you think all military involves killing? What about Air Force, Navy, it also involves protecting people like you and helping people in need throughout the world

My friend's husband gets deployed every 6 months, he does not go to Iraq but is in direct support of Iraq, he is away from home for long periods of time and just a little support, not necessarily financial (it never is) helps them both

My husband when stationed in England was deployed for both the war on terror after 9/11 and the Kosovo war, and guess what never had kill anyone, but did protect a lot of innocent people
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:16 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

#4 They have post-service benefits such as: lifetime access to healthcare, financial assistance with further education costs, guaranteed mortgage, etc.
Which for some of them is why they sign up in the first place
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Originally Posted by robskatie
I don't think anyone says that they are more deserving

#1 Yes they did
#2 yes they do, so do firefighters, teachers, police officers and any other civil servant, but they still hold fundraisers
#3 Do you think all military involves killing? What about Air Force, Navy, it also involves protecting people like you and helping people in need throughout the world

My friend's husband gets deployed every 6 months, he does not go to Iraq but is in direct support of Iraq, he is away from home for long periods of time and just a little support, not necessarily financial (it never is) helps them both

My husband when stationed in England was deployed for both the war on terror after 9/11 and the Kosovo war, and guess what never had kill anyone, but did protect a lot of innocent people
The Air Force kills more people than all the other services combined, and more non-combattants too. Its called collateral damage.

The job of the military is to win wars. This other humanitarian bs is not their job but it gets forced on them by politicians. If you want a military that is effective in its job (killing) don't ask them to build schools. Thats what the UN or NGOs or the Red Cross is for.

How did he protect innocent people? If he protected innocent people then he also killed them, as we have done repeatedly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.