Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Wikiposts

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Support our troops' car ribbons

Originally Posted by DCMark
PS: Isn't saying 'Canadian Air Force" a bit like 'Lichtenstein's Navy'?
Thought that was the Navy too .....sorry, couldn't resist...what with them getting the subs back....
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:56 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

PS: Isn't saying 'Canadian Air Force" a bit like 'Lichtenstein's Navy'

Gee, I don't know, my uncle was going to join up with them in WWII (my grandmother was Canadian), but they formed the Army Air Corps here so he didn't have to. Unfortunately he was killed in a freak accident just before he was due to fly over to England.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:01 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

One Pentagon proposal would send Special Forces teams to advise, support and possibly train Iraqi squads, most likely hand-picked Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and Shiite militiamen, to target Sunni insurgents and their sympathizers, even across the border into Syria, according to military insiders familiar with the discussions.

The Pentagon is intensively debating an option that dates back to a still-secret strategy in the Reagan administration’s battle against the leftist guerrilla insurgency in El Salvador in the early 1980s. Then, faced with a losing war against Salvadoran rebels, the U.S. government funded or supported "nationalist" forces that allegedly included so-called death squads directed to hunt down and kill rebel leaders and sympathizers. Eventually the insurgency was quelled, and many U.S. conservatives consider the policy to have been a success . . .

One military source involved in the Pentagon debate . . . suggests that new offensive operations are needed that would create a fear of aiding the insurgency. "The Sunni population is paying no price for the support it is giving to the terrorists," he said. "From their point of view, it is cost-free. We have to change that equation."

Newsweek
‘The Salvador Option’
January 9, 2005

So how about this one instead?

OK that should start another 10 pages of squabbling.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncs
So how about this one instead?
doesn't quite have the same ring to it though does it...
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:07 am
JustJim

jim884 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by elfman
So when people drive around with their cars festooned with Chinese-made ribbon magnets do the troops actually derive some tangible benefit, or is it simply an empty, meaningless gesture that enables the drivers to feel patriotically superior?

To me supporting the troops means not voting for a president who has sent the troops thousands of miles from home to be killed, maimed, and psychologically traumatised under false pretenses while simultaneously trying to cut their pay, benefits and support services at home.

What do you think?
I'm sorry that I didn't answer you sooner.

I didn't vote for our commander in chief, but I have many friends over there, both American and Canadian serving in the US Forces. I also have a few friends serving in Afganistan in both American and Canadian forces.
So, ladies please excuse my language, I really don't give a rats ass about any politician from any country, but I care about my friends.

If you had a friend, you might understand.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:18 am
JustJim

What a load of shit but not surprising. Thier fighting IN IRAQ does nothing to perserve my right to free speech. In fact their CIC has decided to SELL the rights to watch his inaugural parade here in DC on Pa. Ave (the people's street). You have to be a republican bigwig to buy a ticket, which effectively cuts off all forms of protest. And guess who will be guarding this new private avenue? Yep, the US Military. So much for not using the Army for internal policing. And so much for them fighting to preserve my free speech. They are manning the checkpoints which will be destroying it.

You know what Jim, its my right to tell military members what I feel too, not just politicians. You see, that right has not yet been removed by the Patriot Act. So I will. If you want to come down here and hear it old man, please do.

PS: Isn't saying 'Canadian Air Force" a bit like 'Lichtenstein's Navy'?

Ah Mark, the one thing that I can depend on from you, constant whining. If everything is so terrible here in the good old US of A, why not emmigrate to a more pleasant environment, like Iran.

Take a valium, take two, they are small.

I do have to agree on one thing that you said Mark, you have the right to your opinion, and the right to voice it.

My friends, and I if I have to, will defend your right to the death.

Have a nice day.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:23 am
JustJim

Originally Posted by samireh
How blind you are....un-****in-believeable....
How unlady like. But you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.
But not to worry, I will defend you too
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:29 am
JustJim

Originally Posted by elfman
Then we really are stuffed.

BTW you haven't answered my question. (Post 194)

You got that right Elf.

Post answered late with apologies.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:36 am
JustJim

Originally Posted by Bob
Thought that was the Navy too .....sorry, couldn't resist...what with them getting the subs back....
Hi Bob;

When I joined in 58, we were still had a military, but what can I say. Politicians are a very dirty word, however I did admire the Iron Lady. Pardon the expression, but she had big ones .
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:09 pm
Franklin

Wow what a thread, intrigue, argument, passion and insults.

Patent Attorney obviously still doesnt have anywhere near enough work to keep him busy judging by the length of his posts. I had no idea that Saddam had paid Hamas bombers $ to blow them selves up and on the 28th time he repeated that comment it actually sank in! Do you think if we pay enough Bush would blow himself up?

I am mostly staying back from this one except to say, I have an old combat service medal in box somewhere and my view is what you said elfman.
Nice to hear from you Duncs - hope all is going as best as it can for you up in Boston.

Patent orders come in bunches it seems, like waiting for a bus.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 15th 2005 at 1:08 pm.

Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by jim884
...Politicians are a very dirty word, however I did admire the Iron Lady. Pardon the expression, but she had big ones .
Aye, bigger than most that's for sure
And I think you must have more than doubled your post count on this thread alone
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:58 pm
Franklin

... He (Saddam) may have tried to kill Bush, wanted to attack Israel, etc but Iraq did not use terrorism against the US. *snip*
You really want me to reply to that!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 15th 2005 at 1:01 pm.

Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:36 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Nice to hear from you Duncs - hope all is going as best as it can for you up in Boston.

Patent orders come in bunches it seems, like waiting for a bus.
Just joking but you were somewhat repetitive.

Ahh Ok. Lots of cold and snow. Study is tough its a lot of information to take in and a steep learning curve so I seem to have to work long hours to stay on top of all the reading, one course had 14 entire books as my reading list! That’s one out of 5 courses by the way! With that plus the curved grading system it is making it hard to get A's when competing against all these other super ‘A’ personality types. Mostly its been A-'s so far so that’s been annoying. But hopefully I can get better in time.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:40 pm
Franklin

Just joking but you were somewhat repetitive.

Ahh Ok. Lots of cold and snow. Study is tough its a lot of information to take in and a steep learning curve so I seem to have to work long hours to stay on top of all the reading, one course had 14 entire books as my reading list! That’s one out of 5 courses by the way! With that plus the curved grading system it is making it hard to get A's when competing against all these other super ‘A’ personality types. Mostly its been A-'s so far so that’s been annoying. But hopefully I can get better in time.
Good to hear things are going pretty good for you ... I would take an A- any day of the week!!!! Attending such a top school has got to be a high! But sure, there are going to be some downsides, the tuition bill for one.

Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

As I said, you are not defending anything of mine. When you have been an American for more than 10 minutes, we can talk about emmigration, ok?

Originally Posted by jim884
Ah Mark, the one thing that I can depend on from you, constant whining. If everything is so terrible here in the good old US of A, why not emmigrate to a more pleasant environment, like Iran.

Take a valium, take two, they are small.

I do have to agree on one thing that you said Mark, you have the right to your opinion, and the right to voice it.

My friends, and I if I have to, will defend your right to the death.

Have a nice day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.