Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SuperSize Me

SuperSize Me

Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default SuperSize Me

OK, has anyone seen this film yet??

If you enjoy your McDonalds don't watch it, it will put you off for life. Then again, maybe that's a good thing.

One of the extra's on the DVD is an experiment to see how long it takes for McDonalds food to decompose compared to a regular burger and fries. Whilst the McD burgers did start to decompose after a week, the McD fries looked exactly the same after 10 weeks.....God knows if/how we digest them!

Another extra on the DVD was about a fish and chip shop in Brooklyn run by a British guy:

http://www.chipshopnyc.com/

Given that I'm craving British fish, chips and mushy peas so badly now (last UK fish and chip meal 06-Aug-04), I think we may have to make the journey from Philadelphia to NYC to satisfy my cravings. Has anyone been here?? Any comments???

Lottie
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SuperSize Me

Originally Posted by Lottie

If you enjoy your McDonalds don't watch it, it will put you off for life. Then again, maybe that's a good thing.

One of the extra's on the DVD is an experiment to see how long it takes for McDonalds food to decompose compared to a regular burger and fries. Whilst the McD burgers did start to decompose after a week, the McD fries looked exactly the same after 10 weeks.....God knows if/how we digest them!

Another extra on the DVD was about a fish and chip shop in Brooklyn run by a British guy:

Given that I'm craving British fish, chips and mushy peas so badly now (last UK fish and chip meal 06-Aug-04), I think we may have to make the journey from Philadelphia to NYC to satisfy my cravings. Has anyone been here?? Any comments???

Lottie
Yes, I bought the DVD in Costco last week as one of the birthday presents for my husband - he lost 100lb in weight between June and December last year and the movie was a big topic of discussion apparently with his colleagues and he was keen to see it.

Yes, the film is an eye-opener and makes me really appreciate the school dinners I used to eat!

I haven't been to the chip shop yet - but after watching the clip on the DVD I guess I'd better make the effort to get over to Brooklyn! The guy who runs it seems to be a nice guy with a great sense of humour and it was good to see his British manner of "all things in moderation" come over so well on the DVD clip. (The prices are a bit steep though don't you think?).

I have been to 'A Salt and Battery' in NYC (lower Manhatten) or rather their teashop next door which they operate....very cramped but very popular:

http://www.asaltandbattery.com
Old Oct 19th 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Congrats to your hubbie for loosing so much weight. My hubbie wants/he says needs to loose weight too, but since we came out here we have been very bad and eaten out far too often - it seems so much cheaper to eat out than buy healthy food.

After seeing SuperSize Me this weekend, we've decided we are now officially on a health kick (UK fish, chips and mushy peas excepted!) and that I should just close my eyes at the fruit, vegetable and decent bread prices. Really liked his comment on the film that although fast food may be cheap, it's a short term gain and that you really are storing up health problems and costs for the future. Also, interesting that whilst meat, dairy and grains receive Government subsidies out here, fruit and vegetables don't...oh and what is this covering vegetables (including tomatoes) with a thin layer of wax...yuck!

As for prices, chipshop and salt & battery (which is somewhere else I will need to try, for comparative purposes you understand), they are pricey, but in the UK we were paying 3 GBP for cod and 1+ GBP for chips when I left...something to do with us awful Brits over fishing the North Sea's cod reserves. So, I guess there's not too much in it with the exchange rate as is. Still definitely expensive by US standards for a takeaway food option. Wonder if the portion sizes in these places are UK or US sized???

Definitely going to be dreaming of fish, chips and mushy peas tonight!!

Lottie
Old Oct 19th 2004, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

As for prices, chipshop and salt & battery (which is somewhere else I will need to try, for comparative purposes you understand), they are pricey, but in the UK we were paying 3 GBP for cod and 1+ GBP for chips when I left...something to do with us awful Brits over fishing the North Sea's cod reserves. So, I guess there's not too much in it with the exchange rate as is. Still definitely expensive by US standards for a takeaway food option. Wonder if the portion sizes in these places are UK or US sized???

Definitely going to be dreaming of fish, chips and mushy peas tonight!!

Lottie

Has anyone tried to make fish and chips at home? I saw a recipe for battered sausages somewhere on the internet (mmmmmm my favourite).

I think we need a recipe section.

-tom

Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Since watching the film, I have not been to Mac D's and I will stay way away from any of their greasy foods. What a sick sight when the chap in the film went to Texas. Just bought back all my memories of the place lol.

Lottie
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Roightmush is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really want to be put off MacD's and most other fast food stores read the book Fast food nation. An eye opener and a bile raiser.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:34 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roightmush
If you really want to be put off MacD's and most other fast food stores read the book Fast food nation. An eye opener and a bile raiser.
I'll second the recommendation for Eric Scholosser's 'Fast Food Nation'. This was published two or three years ago now and is probably an influence on the movie, 'Supersize Me'.

Americans should read the book and consider carefully the saying, "you are what you eat"!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'll second the recommendation for Eric Scholosser's 'Fast Food Nation'. This was published two or three years ago now and is probably an influence on the movie, 'Supersize Me'.

Americans should read the book and consider carefully the saying, "you are what you eat"!

I bought the book about 18 months ago in Heathrow airport....and still can't face reading it as I know it will most likely cause me to throw up!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:12 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

the McD fries looked exactly the same after 10 weeks.....
Lottie
Haven't you ever let a kid have a happy meal in the back of the car? I'll tell you those fries may have looked ok, they look digestible after 10 weeks under the seat but the little ankle biters spit 'em like they're toxic.