Sunblock

Old May 24th 2005, 8:06 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Sunblock

OK can anyone help me with a little problem..

I have been looking in all of the pharmacies for suntan lotion - I have noticed they don't have the selection we have in the UK or the same brands. I have settled on neutrogena brand because I know that but the front of the bottle says factor 30 sunblock - is that total sunblock, i.e. no suntan or actually what we would term suntan lotion ?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mrs C
Old May 24th 2005, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunblock

Originally Posted by Chandler
OK can anyone help me with a little problem..

I have been looking in all of the pharmacies for suntan lotion - I have noticed they don't have the selection we have in the UK or the same brands. I have settled on neutrogena brand because I know that but the front of the bottle says factor 30 sunblock - is that total sunblock, i.e. no suntan or actually what we would term suntan lotion ?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mrs C
Factor 30 isn't a total sunblock ... for the face, I use 'Roc Minesol Actif' which is 60 IP-SPF and is stated as being 'Ultra High Protection' (it's also quite a thick, greasy lotion, not that pleasant to use, but essential in this climate if you are going to be out for any length of time).
Old May 24th 2005, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

30 is the lowest I use. Normally I use factor 48, I think it's coppertone sport. It's in a blue bottle, goes on easy and doesn't smell like a tramps armpit. Keeps me looking sufficiently white and pasty!
Old May 24th 2005, 9:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

30 is decent, but not great. I go more for the 50 - 60 region. But then again, if I'm putting something on I don't want a tan. The days of splooging on the SPF 4 and baking at the beach for half a day are way back in the distant past.

My favourite right now: La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL60+, which is a meroxyl sunblock, not yet approved by the FDA. Might be worth bringing some back from blighty.

Last edited by AdobePinon; May 24th 2005 at 9:07 pm.
Old May 24th 2005, 9:12 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies but I want to get a tan, so total sunblock is not great for me. I think I might stick to factor 30 and see where it gets me
Old May 24th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go with 30, it'll do for a start but you'll probably want to switch lower later. If you use 60 you'll be looking like you live underground!

But I'm no sunblock advisor, I usually get 15 and live with being a bit crispy at the start of the season! To tight and too stupid to be arsing around changing factors!
Old May 24th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I like to get a bit of colour to my skin in the summer and usually start with 25 for a week or so, 15 for a couple of weeks and then 8 for the rest of the summer. I used to buy expensive sunblock but after reading several reports I now buy Banana Boat which I find is great for my sensitive skin and is fairly cheap too.
Old May 24th 2005, 10:03 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

We have been in the USA 10 years and have used "NO-AD" 30 and 16 (and 50 for the kids). It's cheap, doesn't sting and WORKS.

My wife is very regimented and in the massive heat on our travels have used NO-AD always.

Kids, myself or my wife have never burnt yet had great tans. I use 30 even though I'm quite dark skinned (must've been from Brighton where I grew up ).

We just did an all over body-check (pre-caution) and have no skin worries - my wife and I was told not to come back for 2 years.

What more can I say.
Old May 24th 2005, 11:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Sunblock

OMG....I've just seen a thread about sunburn on the Australia board and someone has posted a link to their '60 Minutes' current affairs show which was transmitted yesterday:

Watch the video - be warned, some of it is gruesome....it's desperately sad to see what has happened to these young people.....and a huge wake-up call to anyone who thinks they'll never get melanoma. I understand that the fastest growing cancer in the UK is melanoma for instance.

Watch this video - "Sunburnt Country" and the follow up report - please: (If you can't watch it, you can still read the transcripts):

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...story_1387.asp

We used to wear 'raysafe' shirts & swimmers & caps when we lived in Singapore (85 miles from the Equator) and they were brilliant for kids as it's a pain trying to get them to keep them still long enough to slap some sunscreen on them. They could wear them all day and they still have UV 100 or UV50+ protection when wet or dry (depending on which brand you buy...need to check if they've been recognised by the Australian skin cancer authorities).....I've hardly ever seen any on sale in the States but you can get them online:

http://www.stingray.com.au/products/...asp?intCatID=3 (they ship worldwide) but there is a distributor in the US too.

http://www.radicoolaustralia.com/ (you can click on to their US site)

It's a pity that in the US there isn't a system as there is in the UK, on the bottles of sun tan lotions with the star rating showing the UVA & UVB protection (5 being the highest). I still buy 'Ambre Solaire' on trips to the UK or Boots 'Soltan'.

Last edited by Englishmum; May 24th 2005 at 11:20 pm.