Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York State Driver's License

New York State Driver's License

Old May 15th 2005, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice
Question New York State Driver's License

I'm one of the quiet members here and occasionally post from time-to-time when faced with a question of moving from the UK to the States.

My husband and I are moving back to my hometown come July 1st (just in time for my fave holiday!!). We got his social secuirty card (which came within a matter of one week and his green card which came in a matter of three weeks ) so he's official!! His boss agreed to transfer his job from London to the city, so we're set on the job front. We just received word that the contracts have been signed for our new house and mortgage has been approved!!! (A town away from my hometown, could not have been more perfect!!) We have temporary housing set up since the closing is not until August 15.

The next step: getting a car but first his driver's license (that would be in NY btw). He has a Belgium license (and has been driving on that since he's been in the UK which is about 12 yrs. now ) but will be getting his UK so there are no translations involved when applying for his NYS dirver's license. (Which after seeting the DMV site is a mute point anyway.)

My question is to those living in NY. If you have a UK driver's license are they transferable? Or would he have to do the entire process like he was just learning how to drive? The NYS-DMV site tells me he would have to do the entire process over just like a actual 16 yr.old who is applying for the first time? Is there any way around this at all before I make him go through all of the tests?

Many thanks.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York State Driver's License

Congratulations. So glad to see that you found a house close to the folks and are all is set to go. If I'm on that side of the county for the holiday, I'll look for the lady who appears to be enjoying the fireworks more than others.

As for hubby's NYS license, he will have to take the tests. They won't swap the UK or Belgium license for a NYS license. They only do that for Canadians. He will have to take the written test and driver's test. You remember how that went. Nothing difficult about it.

Rete

Originally Posted by Nylon
I'm one of the quiet members here and occasionally post from time-to-time when faced with a question of moving from the UK to the States.

My husband and I are moving back to my hometown come July 1st (just in time for my fave holiday!!). We got his social secuirty card (which came within a matter of one week and his green card which came in a matter of three weeks ) so he's official!! His boss agreed to transfer his job from London to the city, so we're set on the job front. We just received word that the contracts have been signed for our new house and mortgage has been approved!!! (A town away from my hometown, could not have been more perfect!!) We have temporary housing set up since the closing is not until August 15.

The next step: getting a car but first his driver's license (that would be in NY btw). He has a Belgium license (and has been driving on that since he's been in the UK which is about 12 yrs. now ) but will be getting his UK so there are no translations involved when applying for his NYS dirver's license. (Which after seeting the DMV site is a mute point anyway.)

My question is to those living in NY. If you have a UK driver's license are they transferable? Or would he have to do the entire process like he was just learning how to drive? The NYS-DMV site tells me he would have to do the entire process over just like a actual 16 yr.old who is applying for the first time? Is there any way around this at all before I make him go through all of the tests?

Many thanks.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:51 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware there is no way round it. But with your husband being British (I'm presuming he is and learnt to drive in the UK), the driving part of the test will not be a problem at all. all he needs to do is get the NYS driving manual and swat up on drink driving laws and read the manual for the differences between what he is used to and what the law is here. Other than that, he should not have a problem at all.

We lived in NJ first, then moved over to NYS so we didn't have to go through this process at all. When we lived in NJ, all we needed to do was pass the computer test. There was no physical driving test. 18 months later we moved over to NYS so our NJ driving licenses were still valid so all we had to do was swap them over for NY ones. We didn't even have to do the computer test again. As I understand it, the states are clamping down on making it easy for people getting a driving license when they come from a foreign country so even if you could go and live somewhere else for a while so he didn't have to do the whole test, there might not be anywhere that would let him get away with it that way anymore.

Last edited by Ben; May 15th 2005 at 11:54 am.
Old May 15th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations. So glad to see that you found a house close to the folks and are all is set to go. If I'm on that side of the county for the holiday, I'll look for the lady who appears to be enjoying the fireworks more than others.

As for hubby's NYS license, he will have to take the tests. They won't swap the UK or Belgium license for a NYS license. They only do that for Canadians. He will have to take the written test and driver's test. You remember how that went. Nothing difficult about it.

Rete
Yeah, I figured that after reading the DMV site. Just thought I would make sure. Oh well. Thanks!!
Old May 15th 2005, 1:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nylon
July 1st (just in time for my fave holiday!!).
Canada Day?
Old May 15th 2005, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

When I first started driving here it was in NYC.

I couldn't transfer my license. First I had to go to a lesson on driving safety where a group of us watched videos on drink driving and why you should wear seatbelts. Then I could make an appointment for the test which is so basic there's no wonder the NYC taxi drivers drive the way they do.

I also did a written test at some point, I can't remember which stage it's at though, but it was pretty easy, I didn't study for it.
Old May 15th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
When I first started driving here it was in NYC.

I couldn't transfer my license. First I had to go to a lesson on driving safety where a group of us watched videos on drink driving and why you should wear seatbelts. Then I could make an appointment for the test which is so basic there's no wonder the NYC taxi drivers drive the way they do.

I also did a written test at some point, I can't remember which stage it's at though, but it was pretty easy, I didn't study for it.
Yep, thanks for the info. I would imagine it would be pretty much the same as to when I took my driver's license ------ way back when I was 16 and living in NY (and that was a long time time) Ouch...
Old May 24th 2005, 2:33 am
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

So that you have a fresh perspective on this.

I took my NY test a couple of weeks ago. I drove on my UK license for 30 days, the legally allowed prescribed period of time as outlined by NY State. During this period I took my 'theory test'. This 'test' consisted of 20 questions, I believe that they allow you to get 6 questions wrong, however, you can only get a maximum of 2 wrong per section (I may be wrong). They also allow you to take the test 'en espaƱol'. If you pass the test you are issued with your permit license. Once you have your permit you have to schedule a five hour class. Basically you sit in a room with 16 year olds and former DUI's going over the same information you had to 'acquire' in order to pass you 'theory test'. Then dependent upon were you live, you schedule your 'road test' and you wait for that date to arrive. I waited the best part of 6 weeks! The 'road test' consisted of me driving for 10 minutes in a circle.....Nothing more, nothing less.

I got my full license in the mail a little over two weeks ago. The whole process was completely painless and left me a few $'s lighter. It was an interesting experience to witness first hand how Americans are educated to drive safely on the road......It's pretty scary!
Old May 24th 2005, 2:50 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
It was an interesting experience to witness first hand how Americans are educated to drive safely on the road......It's pretty scary!
Could you please fill us in on how they teach them to drive and drink coffee and talk on their phones all at the same time?

Is there a trick to it or does it just come naturally to US natives?
Old May 24th 2005, 3:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
..... It was an interesting experience to witness first hand how Americans are educated to drive safely on the road......
They are? ..... since when? ..... It must be something new since I took my test in up-state New York in 2001.
Old May 25th 2005, 1:01 am
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They are? ..... since when? ..... It must be something new since I took my test in up-state New York in 2001.
Sorry, my mistake. I omitted the word "not" before educated.