Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Suitcase recommendation

Suitcase recommendation

Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suitcase recommendation

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You may find that means you will have some room in the case. We had to downsize suitcases recently because even just filling them (not packing tightly) they were 10-15lbs overweight. They aren't the lightest cases but they aren't that heavy either.
I find 26" cases when full just about confirm to the current weight restrictions.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I find 26" cases when full just about confirm to the current weight restrictions.
That's because when you fill a case with handbags and shoes there is a lot of airspace that doesn't weigh anything...
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That's because when you fill a case with handbags and shoes there is a lot of airspace that doesn't weigh anything...
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I am very resourceful you know. I stuff things into the bags and shoes...so they keep their shape and are not crushed.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I still think cardboard boxes would weight less. More shoes and purses for all.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any luck with those vacuum bag things that shrink the clothes up?

We got some knock off ones cheap when we moved, which were quite handy for sheets and the like, but they aren't half shite for storing anything more than a few days...just curious if the ones advertised on the tele were any better?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am very resourceful you know. I stuff things into the bags and shoes...so they keep their shape and are not crushed.
teabags and cheese don't count
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyone have any luck with those vacuum bag things that shrink the clothes up?

We got some knock off ones cheap when we moved, which were quite handy for sheets and the like, but they aren't half shite for storing anything more than a few days...just curious if the ones advertised on the tele were any better?
I had some name brand ones like on the telly, they were no better. My Mum used one of mine to pack her smaller suitcase and it managed to hold till she opened the suitcase once home, I'd hate to have seen what would have happened if customs had opened the case, no way they'd have got everything back in for her to get home.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

We've been very happy with our bottom-of-the-range Samsonite cases, I think they were about $100 several years ago -- but the best decision we made was to buy them in red and green - it makes spotting them as they come out on the carousel a doddle, and I bet it makes them less likely to be taken by someone on the lookout for a free case.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
We've been very happy with our bottom-of-the-range Samsonite cases, I think they were about $100 several years ago -- but the best decision we made was to buy them in red and green - it makes spotting them as they come out on the carousel a doddle, and I bet it makes them less likely to be taken by someone on the lookout for a free case.
Samsonite are well worth investing in if you can afford the initial cost. We have a set retired to the basement that are about 30 years old. The old heavy duty hard shells...with two wheels and a small handle at the side of the case. They have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles over the years and are still in good condition.

As I posted earlier...Samsonite now make ultra lightweight hard shell cases for Costco...selling under the Kirkland name. It said made by Samsonite for Kirkland on the price sticker...don't know if these were the ones I saw.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2013 at 8:18 pm. Reason: to insert link
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

As I posted earlier...Samsonite now make ultra lightweight hard shell cases for Costco...selling under the Kirkland name. It said made by Samsonite for Kirkland on the price sticker...don't know if these were the ones I saw.
But that case weighs 11.5lbs, that is 23% of your allowance gone just with the bag. That's why the duffle type cloth bags are better, they weigh less.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Useful web site:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Airline_baggage

Air Canada for me next time, bigger free baggage allowance and only very slightly more expensive than United from here.
That site is a bit out of date. The AC bag allowance to UK is now one free bag at 23kg and a second bag for $70. So you get about .4kg extra for free
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are doing the suitcase hunt right now too. We got a set from Burlington coat factory that look like they should be OK, izod I think they were.
We are only looking for the medium sized cases as the biggest ones are too big and when packed are too heavy for the airlines, so medium when packed tight should do the trick.
I'm at the point now of wondering if I can just cardboard boxes and gaffer tape or big black bin bags, I'm sick of looking.
I did look at the WalMart ones that Brit3964 mentioned and they are now top of my list for when I need to go and get a couple more.
When I emigrated, I brought with me a trad. suitcase with clothes etc, and a cardboard box full of all kinds of stuff. It was about 3 ft cubed, but weight wise it was still in the allowance, whatever that was. That was 2004, but a well packed cardboard box still ought to hold more and be cheaper than a suitcase, right?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:16 am
Just Joined

old_motters is an unknown quantity at this point

Having had both hard and soft cases of the Samsonite brand, I would go for the soft sided in future. The hard case took a lot more abuse and the catches are vulnerable to damage where zips less so.

For emigration my wife took cardboard boxes - 10 of them in total on BA. Since they were for 1 use only we weren't worried about them getting trashed. Probably not good in the wet with hindsight so I might wrap them in polythene if I did that again.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by old_motters
Having had both hard and soft cases of the Samsonite brand, I would go for the soft sided in future. The hard case took a lot more abuse and the catches are vulnerable to damage where zips less so.

For emigration my wife took cardboard boxes - 10 of them in total on BA. Since they were for 1 use only we weren't worried about them getting trashed. Probably not good in the wet with hindsight so I might wrap them in polythene if I did that again.
I think most hard sided cases have zips now...many are expandable also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.