Sued by the RIAA

Sued by the RIAA

Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:22 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default Sued by the RIAA

Hey,

I'm pretty new to this forum, and I hope this post will generate a bit of interest.

I recently moved to the USA from the UK (still applying for my green card) and a few weeks ago my girlfriend was hit with one of the 261 lawsuits recently filed by the RIAA. As an unemployed student, she decided to settle to avoid paying out 6 figure lawyer fees.

She has received a lot of positive and some negative feedback regarding the issue, and I would like you to take a look at her web site:
Sued by the RIAA
which basically details the events of what happened, educates people about file sharing and allows people to donate towards her settlement costs.

I happen to think that the way the RIAA went about targeting people was pretty unfair, but I also wholeheartedly agree that downloading music for free is wrong. It is a difficult subject, and yes, as with most arguments, there are certainly two sides to the story.

All feedback is welcome

Last edited by csf; Sep 18th 2003 at 3:25 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:02 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

The interesting thing is that many artists are against this action.

The music industry has been over charging the music buying public for a long time and the internet gives them the chance to offer the latest music and a much reduced price.

Will they do it? No.

I think that your friend should not have accepted the allegations and asked them to prove her guilt behond all resonable doubt.

That would be difficult if she does not live alone and they dont have the computer.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:21 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Yup. I hear you scotch. She was featured in a New York Times article today. I just think it really is very sad. Downloading music for free is wrong, but when you walk around Chinatown and see so many people selling counterfeit cds & dvds for PROFIT, it makes me sick that the RIAA are focusing on 12 year olds (yes, I know that is the only case of a child so far) and grand parents who I honestly believe didn't know it was illegal to do so.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:35 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I wonder how this will affect all the millions that have background music on their web pages! I'll be glad to see that go!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:51 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Why?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:20 pm

Originally posted by scotch03
Why?
Because my old scotch... it's flippin annoying when you click on a page and some dreadful music starts up.

Was it your signature that said "Give's a job mate, I can do dat like?" -- I got my kids saying that and they have been cracking my husband up all week!
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:41 pm
Up Yir Kilt

Many sites that have background music also have a button that allows you to switch it off or you could always use your volume.

Did I really send you nuts with a link? Oooops sorry
Old Sep 21st 2003, 2:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sued by the RIAA

Originally posted by csf
...... All feedback is welcome
You break the law, you face the consequences.

The "Napster" debate has been running for a couple of years but many people have taken no notice; more fool them. I can only assume because they didn't believe that it was possible to track them down.

I'm not sure since when it was considered acceptable to break the law if you don't think you can be caught or identified. Now of course people are finding out that they can be tracked down, and that they will have to face the consequences. Which is good news for the rest of us who heeded the warning signs.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 2:49 am
Up Yir Kilt

True.

So many people think they cannot be traced online - yet it is very easy.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:42 pm

Easier than you think! Everything is traceable... e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g,
if you know how that is! ô¿~
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:55 pm
Up Yir Kilt

Bridgie, can you come down from that tree in my garden now?

I get the point!!!!