Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anti-French Sentiment (FREEDOM FRIES)

Anti-French Sentiment (FREEDOM FRIES)

Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anti-French Sentiment (FREEDOM FRIES)

The French thought the Brits hated them, but now it looks like they've got bigger problems with America. It is still highly popular in the US to bash the French right now. I wonder how this is going down in Europe.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:15 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

The whole 'Freedom Fries' thing is SOOOO dumb! Maybe the French should rename the 'Quai des Etas-Unis' in Nice!
OK yeah the Brits love a good joke about the French--and they us I'm sure. But it's all just in fun really (well in my case it is anyway!) In the US it's REAL animosity!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:00 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Did I get stuck in a timewarp? I thought all the Frenchy bashing was at the height of fashion 6 months ago.

Seriously though, you're right, I never thought personally, that a people could act so childish and retarded. From members of Congress wasting taxpayer money by tabling a motion to rename the cafeteria fries to Freedom fries, to businessmen pouring thousands of dollars of French wine down the drain. The boycotting of anyone or thing with a remotely sounding french name, the list goes on...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nathan barley
Did I get stuck in a timewarp? I thought all the Frenchy bashing was at the height of fashion 6 months ago.

Seriously though, you're right, I never thought personally, that a people could act so childish and retarded. From members of Congress wasting taxpayer money by tabling a motion to rename the cafeteria fries to Freedom fries, to businessmen pouring thousands of dollars of French wine down the drain. The boycotting of anyone or thing with a remotely sounding french name, the list goes on...

It is still going on here in America. It hasn't stopped. The French are highly unpopular right now. Don't know what the feeling is in Britain, but nobody shed a tear for those 15,000 heatwave victims.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 17th 2003 at 2:10 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:22 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I would like to see enacted a national embargo of French wine. If it is successful, I will be able to pick up all the first growth Bordeaux I could possibly want for pennies on the Eureaux. BTW, they sell great Bordeaux at Costceaux.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:55 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by jaytee
It is still going on here in America. It hasn't stopped. The French are highly unpopular right now. Don't know what the feeling is in Britain, but nobody shed a tear for those 15,000 heatwave victims.
I'm in NYC, and I haven't heard much bashing of the French for ages, apart from on Fox nationwide news every now and then. It seems to have calmed down a bit as far as the city is concerned, and descended into light satire.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

So they won't be sending the Statue of Liberty back then???

Pat
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:59 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Raggy?

It was Mr Withers from the old abandoned fun park!

Whats going on, we have Isabel, Bush asking for $87billion and whole host of newer and less trodden subjects.

Whats next

Will the Bee Gees carry on now one is dead

Hurricane Hugo, boy that was scary

Will the Beatles every reform now John Lennon is dead

Who do you think will win the Falklands war?

Do you think England have got a chance in Spain 82 with Keegan just back from Injury

Do you think the Beatles will every reform now George is dead

Queen Victoria, do you think she will be a good queen?

Patrick

Where did I park that Delaurian
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:56 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to be beg to be different here. I think the French bashing is wholly in order and to be commended.

The French are probably the most arrogant, self-interested nation in the world - certainly more so than the Americans (and I say that having lived in Paris for a year) - and they've been screwing the British since Thatcher in the European Parliament / CAP and other Franco-German deals to increase their own power base. The whole Iraq thing was typically Gallic in that they put national self-interest before any concept of right or wrong. As soon as the Americans had done the tough ground work, they wanted a share of the rebuilding contracts and oil rights.

My impression is that the French can't believe how much their European "partners" allow them to get away with, and resent the Americans because they are fundamentally right of centre in their politics, and don't stand for their crap!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:58 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
I'm going to be beg to be different here. I think the French bashing is wholly in order and to be commended.

The French are probably the most arrogant, self-interested nation in the world - certainly more so than the Americans (and I say that having lived in Paris for a year) - and they've been screwing the British since Thatcher in the European Parliament / CAP and other Franco-German deals to increase their own power base. The whole Iraq thing was typically Gallic in that they put national self-interest before any concept of right or wrong. As soon as the Americans had done the tough ground work, they wanted a share of the rebuilding contracts and oil rights.

My impression is that the French can't believe how much their European "partners" allow them to get away with, and resent the Americans because they are fundamentally right of centre in their politics, and don't stand for their crap!
Hooray and screw the french they chased my family out for being protestant(Hugenots) and i always hated them, must be in my blood or something.

i love it that the usa is kicking them now its about time someone stood up to their arrogance,

regards,

Duncan
Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:22 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with that...I havent come across anyone who has anything pleasant to say about there trips to France, seems this is one strereotype that is absolutly true, they ARE all wankers!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we lived in Paris and have to say they were arrogant but I still loved the city and would go back there to live any day.

However, I don't think this French bashing is justified. Seems its ok for the US to veto anything they want, but god forbid anyone else do so.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

And there was me thinking that Manchester United replacing Fabian Barthez with Tim Howard as No 1 goal keeper was a footballing issue. How naive am I !!!

Rob
Old Sep 18th 2003, 9:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robclews
And there was me thinking that Manchester United replacing Fabian Barthez with Tim Howard as No 1 goal keeper was a footballing issue. How naive am I !!!

Rob
Do you suppose they serve Freedom Fries in the French McDonald's? Or have they not yet dug out from the loads of cow manure that the farmers were tipping in their doorways?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:11 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I sometimes think that what one nation perceives in a negative way, the nation that is that way sees it as positive. Examples:

We think the French are arrogant---They think they are confident

Americans think we are aloof-We think we mind our own business

We think Americans are loud--They think they are just expressive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.